Electricity bill? What the heck?

calasiaobound

Mines around 1100 consistently for the time I've been here.lights and.. Ref and a high speed fan. Both run perpetually. Turn fan off when I leave but otherwise always on. No air con .

• Like 2
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• KennyF

• lopburi3

• Irenicus

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We run a 1.5hp split inverter aircon 24 hours a day every day of every month.  In addition to a 220 litre ref (also inverter), big ass lcd tv, electric oven etc and our bills have stayed remarkably co

Sorry I failed to explain properly. Usually the outside temperature here in Cebu is around 32 degrees. If you set the aircon to 26 degrees it is a comfortable temperature inside as the difference betw

They only seem to get fat after we marry them.....

Woolf

Look at your electricity bill

how many kW/h did you use

If your kW/h per month goes up

either you use more electricity or the meter is defect

You can have a "slave" meter installed I saw them at

atlantic hardware, they do not cost that much

To find your cost per kW/h

devide total bill by kW/h used

musicman666

One thing that bothers me is a low voltage earth leak on my equipment ...to stop it I put a wire to earth which cured the shocks but am I now pissing pesos away?

Woolf

One thing that bothers me is a low voltage earth leak on my equipment ...to stop it I put a wire to earth which cured the shocks but am I now pissing pesos away?

NO

The leak current to earth is minimal, not enough to have any influence on the meter reading

Captain Camiguin

wot a lot of crap it is daylight robbery these power bills our bill jumped up from 1,200 peso per month to 2,500 peso and we have no air con and budget wisely a friend down the road his bill jumped from 4,000p per month to 14,000 p per month last bill the Governor JJ his bill jumped from 20,000p per month to 45,000p per month and he complained which now the bastards at CAMELCO will sit up and listen when we complained they made up some piss weak excuse basically told us  "too bad sucker pay up" so we politely said "cut the fecking power off then" it costs 200 peso to reconnect then we just start a new account, feckum

oztony

Our power bill on Negros with just Papa and sister in law in the house has always been 600 PHP , last bill was 1500 PHP ,

and the sister in law was in Cebu for the whole month , so that was for 1 person that has just 1 or 2 lights on at night and a refrigerator ,

there has been constant power outages so I don't know if it is the refrigerator playing constant catchups when it comes on again or not.

Usually when we are there it is about 1000 PHP/week.

But electricity is that overpriced in PI it is insane , which makes me more and more think about setting up a solar power system. Back to grid type.

• Like 3
KennyF

wot a lot of crap it is daylight robbery these power bills our bill jumped up from 1,200 peso per month to 2,500 peso and we have no air con and budget wisely a friend down the road his bill jumped from 4,000p per month to 14,000 p per month last bill the Governor JJ his bill jumped from 20,000p per month to 45,000p per month and he complained which now the bastards at CAMELCO will sit up and listen when we complained they made up some piss weak excuse basically told us  "too bad sucker pay up" so we politely said "cut the fecking power off then" it costs 200 peso to reconnect then we just start a new account, feckum

Hi Captain Camiguin, if you live here on the island you might be interested in the Yahoo group "Camiguin Expats".

We just started the group 3 months ago and already we have nearly 50 members, all actually living on the island.

Kenny

Agoho

easy44

we have nearly 50 members, all actually living on the island
That must be all of them!
Irenicus

Our power bill on Negros with just Papa and sister in law in the house has always been 600 PHP , last bill was 1500 PHP ,

I was actually very happy to see that  our bill for May was only 3,200 pesos - we have been using the aircon about 18 hours a day with the city heat, so I was expecting more of a shocker.  

Have not had a brownout outside of the monthly Sunday 8 hour line maintenance that NORECO announces weeks ahead on their Facebook - but we are on a primary circuit.

But now they have rolling brownout notices up, so it might get ugly soon.  :(

SomeRandomGuy

Ours has jumped from 4800 to 7000

I do not like it

lopburi3

As said this is normally very minimal (anything serious would trip a breaker) and is common for computers but for other equipment should not happen and could be deadly without that ground line - many of us in Thailand install RCCB type protection that immediately cuts power if any leakage (difference between live and neutral) and highly recommend - it can save your life - or someone you love. 

Irenicus

there has been constant power outages so I don't know if it is the refrigerator playing constant catchups when it comes on again or not.

I have also heard that constant power outages and resumptions can cause the meter to read a lot higher than what is being actually used.

Can any comment on this??

• Like 1
Woolf

As said this is normally very minimal (anything serious would trip a breaker) and is common for computers but for other equipment should not happen and could be deadly without that ground line - many of us in Thailand install RCCB type protection that immediately cuts power if any leakage (difference between live and neutral) and highly recommend - it can save your life - or someone you love. 

Leakage current electronic equipment with EMI filter

http://www.jmkfilters.com/faq.htm#leakage_current

What is leakage current? When a filters uses capacitors between the conductors and ground, small amounts of current "leak" through the filter to ground. This current can creates an electric shock hazard if the system is improperly grounded, therefore, this current is limited by the international safety agencies to prevent a danger to personal safety.uparrow.gif

2014062711423917219_5.jpg

• Like 1
Headshot

If your power bill jumps up beyond normal, and you haven't had a rate hike or increased usage that you know of, then shut off the main breaker in your house and see if the meter is still showing power usage. If so, then somebody has tapped into your line and is stealing power from you. Report it to the power company and also to the police. It is a crime. If the meter stops when you shut off the main breaker, then you should review your bill (against a previous bill) to check for rate hikes or additional charges you didn't know about or increased usage. If there is increased usage, figure out what you are doing differently. Then, you need to decide whether to stop doing those things that raised the bill or just pay the increased amount and know that you are the one that caused the increase.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 3
Hy H

Ours has jumped from 4800 to 7000

I do not like it

Has your usage also jumped by kwh`s on your billing?

Total monthly p7000 would equal usage app 636kwh @ p11/ kwh at my last rounded veco bill rate.    New one coming any day now. We`ll see soon if any changes.