VA Healthcare to end in the Philippines 1 OCT 2015

Bill H

Now that I'm back in country I contacted them via MHV to see about getting drug refills.  The good news is they will still give you your medications.  The bad news is, they will only give you medications for your SC disabilities.  That is very [email protected] in my view, but not very surprising.   I guess most of the meds they were dispensing were for non-SC conditions so these changes will dramatically lower their work load.  They still require a yearly physical, but it was not clear if you would get a travel allotment to travel to Manila to receive the physical and if they should find anything that is not SC that's just too bad, no treatment or meds for you.

I fear this is just the beginning of a new VA policy everywhere, which is going to hurt an awful lot of people, but it's just the vets who will be hurt, so who cares?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill H

• smokey

• TDCNINJA

• RogerDat

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

From: dir <[email protected]> (applies to US Veterans)   Subject: Changes from VA coming soon   During a teleconference this past Friday, we became aware of several changes which will effect

Would offer several additional suggestions based on having an insurance that works in about the same manner (FEP).  The glass half full says option to use doctor/facility of your choice may turn out t

This is kind of late but, I have a disability for my heart. I have a check up every 6 months at VA in Manila, I get my meds updated then (which they mail to me every three months by air21) I can use A

• Administrator
Salty Dog

That is true, but if you need hospitalization there are military and private hospitals that they will farm you out too

Are you sure the VA can send a non-retired Vet to a military hospital. Private yes but never heard of a military hospital treating Vets who weren't entitled to use them in the first place.

I fear this is just the beginning of a new VA policy everywhere, which is going to hurt an awful lot of people, but it's just the vets who will be hurt, so who cares?

I have  been thinking that might happen somewhere down the road for a long time now. Although it's certainly a possibility I just don't see it happening, at least anytime soon. Maybe it would be a good thing though because they could give more illegal aliens healthcare.  :sarcasm:

As for the Manila OPC I hope that someday they "No" themslves right out of patients and have to go job hunting.

Bill H

As for the Manila OPC I hope that someday they "No" themslves right out of patients and have to go job hunting

Well, they've lost me, I won't be going there any more.  There are some good providers at the VA, but they are greatly out numbered by the place holders doing as little as possible to collect a paycheck.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
RogerDat

I was there today (3 Nov) at it is fully operational. got meds for service and non service connected problems ( if formulary and cost are OK)

They gave me a automatic blood pressure kit, and scheduled me for a procedure using a LOA here in Cebu.

They still have no update about changes, but this is a new fiscal year, so we will see in late 2016

I was there today (3 Nov) at it is fully operational. got meds for service and non service connected problems ( if formulary and cost are OK)

They gave me a automatic blood pressure kit, and scheduled me for a procedure using a LOA here in Cebu.

They still have no update about changes, but this is a new fiscal year, so we will see in late 2016

I'm astounded!  That is 100% contrary to what they told me last month and again this month.  They claim (and I have it in writing) they will no longer provide medications for non-service related conditions.  I'm very happy you got taken care of, but now I'm as confused as hell.

• Like 1

Kind of a sensational title isn't it? From what I am reading the VA is not closing it's doors in the Philippines. It sounds like the way people are reimbursed might be changing. I think it is important to note that RAO Subic is not a government agency and is not affiliated with the VA in any way from what I understand. 

That's all it says. With who was this teleconference with?

From their website home page:

I'm not saying that the information is incorrect....but it might be better to wait for the VA to officially announce changes before claiming "VA Healthcare to End in the Philippines".

Wyre, I wanted to respond to your post a long time ago but I bit my tongue and now I finally can:

Yes, of course it was sensational. By design. But it was what they (The RAO via the Manila RO) disseminated. 

To be quite honest, I wrote that headline for no other reason than to try, in whatever small way, to put pressure - via veterans - on VA directly. 

This is one time I'm quite happy to be wrong. Its November 3, and the clinic is still open. That's a victory, however small, in my book!

I even went to so far as to call ABS-CBN news and ask them why the VA Clinic was closing. The same day I tweeted the US Ambassador - Amb Goldberg - and asked why the clinic was closing? Two days later he quoted my tweet and responded publicly that the clinic wasn't closing - again, I was VERY happy to be wrong.

On another matter, I wanted to address some of the guys who have received non-service connected medicines and those who have not: I'm not exactly sure, but was told via a service officer once upon a time that the higher rated you are in terms of disability the more likely they are to fill your non-service script. I'm a 100% and they ALWAYS fill my scripts - service or non-service.

As always, your mileage may vary!

Edited by TDCNINJA

I am 100% SC and they told me flat out they will not provide me with non-SC meds.  Go figure.

• Administrator
Salty Dog

I am 100% SC and they told me flat out they will not provide me with non-SC meds. Go figure.

I also know 100% Vets who get treated for everything and all drugs are provided. Hell I thought once you were 100% that was how it worked.

• Like 1

I also know 100% Vets who get treated for everything and all drugs are provided. Hell I thought once you were 100% that was how it worked.

That's what I thought, but in Manila they have new rules and they are telling me they will treat for service connected conditions only.  Go figure.

smokey

well ;with the info in this thread saying possible closed oct 1 hope not i have a nov 20th appointment 

contraman

well ;with the info in this thread saying possible closed oct 1 hope not i have a nov 20th appointment 

Did you look at the Year ?

Maybe you have missed it :idontknow:

contraman

don't be a banana head

Why?  It was a genuine question :idontknow:

smokey

I am working on my acceptance speech for president in case I win and even if I don't I am sure one of MY people will