VA Healthcare to end in the Philippines 1 OCT 2015

TDCNINJA

Subject: Changes from VA coming soon

During a teleconference this past Friday, we became aware of several changes which will effect a large portion of the veteran population here in the Philippines.

Please as you read the following, keep in mind these changes are not coming from VA Manila, but rather the VA administration in DC. VA Manila is trying hard to provide the best care and benefits that they are funded for. Many of you will be upset with what you are about to read but you should place the blame where it belongs. Mr. & Mrs. Congressman. The folks we elect to watch out for our interests in Washington.

The Changes:

Current plans call for the implementation of the Foreign Medical Plan (FMP) to replace the current VA Health Care system we are serviced by, effective 1 October 2015. Many are not familiar with this program but it has been being used throughout the world for years. Basically its a medical program for traveling veterans and those who like us live outside the U.S. Both programs require that you only be treated for service connected disabilities.

The basic differences between what we now have and the FMP are:

1. You can go to any provider you choose as long as they are not banned from the program by FMP

2. You must pay the treatment bill up front and request reimbursement from FMP.

3. If you can get the provider to file the forms and wait for the payment good on you, but if not you must file the forms and wait for your money. The FMP site advertises that the wait for reimbursement is 45 days. As with Tricare, you will receive a check. Being able to cash that could be a concern as the usual 25 day wait period may apply.

As there will be no available local assistance with filling out the forms, the RAO is self educating its staff on the FMP and the claim forms and will provide assistance in these areas.

Please don’t flood us with questions on this. Hold your questions as the terms of the program are still under discussion between FMP and VA and some parts of the program may change and make your questions unneeded. We simply want to make you aware that things are going to change. Also we can make a few suggestions on how you can prepare for the changes.

1. Try to set aside a medical emergency fund in the event you need hospitalization.

(That fund would have to be substantial, a bill of P100,000 could be reached within days)

2. Keep in mind that if you are TRICARE eligible, you may be able to use that as your medical care for your disability.

3. Set aside funds for a flight to Guam to get VA funded care for service connected disabilities.

4. Begin looking at other locally available health care programs like Philhealth.

(check out Maxi-care as well)

As we have mentioned before the travel reimbursement program which VA Manila has been paying kinda without authorization will also be ending on Oct 1 2015.

• Like 3
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill H

• smokey

• TDCNINJA

• RogerDat

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

From: dir <[email protected]> (applies to US Veterans)   Subject: Changes from VA coming soon   During a teleconference this past Friday, we became aware of several changes which will effect

Would offer several additional suggestions based on having an insurance that works in about the same manner (FEP).  The glass half full says option to use doctor/facility of your choice may turn out t

This is kind of late but, I have a disability for my heart. I have a check up every 6 months at VA in Manila, I get my meds updated then (which they mail to me every three months by air21) I can use A

Pman

Thanks for posting this ninja.

Edit to add other than the two listed above what are some good insurance for the Philippines? I was planning on getting it when I come back as I'm never going to goto manila (city never been to va there) again.

Edited by Pman
TDCNINJA

Someone should tell the dick heads at Subic RAO that there is NO VA hospital in Guam, only an outpatient clinic.

Dumb f*u*c*k*s

• Like 1
sugbu777

Someone should tell the dick heads at Subic RAO that there is NO VA hospital in Guam, only an outpatient clinic.

Dumb f*u*c*k*s

That's right, and not a great one either, from what I hear from my friends that have to use VA here on Guam. I just use my TRICARE here.

dnl_grout

Thanks for this october 2015 is just around the corner 

lopburi3

Would offer several additional suggestions based on having an insurance that works in about the same manner (FEP).  The glass half full says option to use doctor/facility of your choice may turn out to be a big positive.

1.  Have access to cash or credit.  Bills can go much higher than 100k fast (mine here in Thailand was 4x that in one day for basic stint procedure).  But if you have credit cards they can be used, even if you lose a bit in fees.  Other savings such as education can be used for this temporary purpose.  As last resort short term pawn and loan may be an option.

2.  Keep US bank account and consider check scan deposit options.  This would cut wait time down and may even be free for some accounts.  And hope they move beyond last century and start ACH direct deposit to accounts.

• Like 2
RogerDat

Greetings! The CHAMPUS has a direct deposit feature now. Metro Bank is my bank. It is in US that the deposit is recived, and is linked to my account here in PI. Read the whole thing, it is a typical Gov mess.

http://www.tricare-overseas.com/PDF/ACH_DirectDeposit.pdf

Edited by RogerDat
Wrye83

Kind of a sensational title isn't it? From what I am reading the VA is not closing it's doors in the Philippines. It sounds like the way people are reimbursed might be changing. I think it is important to note that RAO Subic is not a government agency and is not affiliated with the VA in any way from what I understand. 

During a teleconference this past Friday

That's all it says. With who was this teleconference with?

From their website home page:

This informal and unofficial information was prepared by members of the RAO who are also members of the VFW, FRA and American Legion.

I'm not saying that the information is incorrect....but it might be better to wait for the VA to officially announce changes before claiming "VA Healthcare to End in the Philippines".

• Like 1
smokey

so we will not be called in once a year for a check up ... or to find out if we are still alive

• Like 1
mpt1947

Dumb f*u*c*k*s

That is true, but if you need hospitalization there are military and private hospitals that they will farm you out too

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
Bill H

I contacted the clinic in Manila and asked about it closing at the end of the physical year.  They told me that "as far as we know," there were no plans to close the clinic after October.  They were careful to include the "as far as we know," statement.  What that means I'm not sure, but they promised to inform me of any changes as soon as they hear about them.  All tings considered I'd guess this is a 50/50 deal right now. 

• Like 1
smokey

they just called me to make an appointment for august ... but I will stall them that place is way boring ..