Motorcycle stolen.

burnttoast

Somebody on here was asking about cost to own a vehicle. Securing the vehicle should definetly be considered as part of the cost of ownership. Following behind would be a fund for repairs and sabotage. We borrowed a family members XRM for a couple of weeks and my own expereinces convinced me it wasn't worth owning a vehicle here as a foreigner unless you could watch it and protect it 24/7. The bike was perfect when we rode it for the first several weeks. We didn't have the bike stolen but rode around the province some and all I did was constantly worry about it. One time we parked and I saw a dong go over to it and put his hands on the handlebars. When he saw me staring at him he just leered at me with a dirty look. I also found it moved overnight at one spot. A brand new tire popped one day out of the blue, another day we woke up to find a tire had a huge bubble that developed overnight. Another time the chain had gone loose and the repair shop said we needed a new chain and sprocket. Several times I did a double take on the fuel level. Many places we parked at had security guards, no one ever saw anything and they really could care less.

• Like 1
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A_Simple_Man

• cybersquat

• Irenicus

• contraman

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just buy a Chinese brand motorcycle, best theft deterrent you can get

Did you go down to highway patrol by the capital and give them a report?  Our motor was stolen across from Foundation about 7 months ago and the cops had it back to us in 5 days - recovered on a side

A GPS tracker will not prevent it being stolen   It is better to have a lock that prevent it being stolen   here is one  light weight and not too big     one a little more bulky

Posted Images

colemanlee

I guess Im just lucky...own three bikes, in a week or so it will be four...never have had anything but normal maintenance, never had gas stolen.  Same with the cars....I would not live here having to depend on commuting but thats just me.. wife and I have ridden all over Samar and Leyte on the bikes..same with the car...I read some stuff here and wonder sometimes if I just lucky....

• Like 5
contraman

I read some stuff here and wonder sometimes if I just lucky.

Or are living in a different country :)

SkyMan

Or are living in a different country :)

Not a different country, just a less criminal part.

the thief is reformed and will never steal or ride again .

A little tough love can be a great motivator.

Edited by SkyMan
cybersquat

You won't find many bikes like that, which end up stolen in the Philippines, for sure.

I understand that in most places in the Philippines it doesn't make sense to have a large bike because of the roads, but isn't the infrastructure in Luzon (Manila, Angeles, Subic, etc.) good enough for a larger bike?

colemanlee

I understand that in most places in the Philippines it doesn't make sense to have a large bike because of the roads, but isn't the infrastructure in Luzon (Manila, Angeles, Subic, etc.) good enough for a larger bike?

I have a couple of friends in Cebu that have the large Harleys, same in AC...and to be honest there are many places in Leyte and Samar that they would be good....but yesterday, had I been on my Harley I left in the states, I would have been exhausted or worse...over five miles of stop move a foot stop, five abreast with every trike, pede cab, bus, van, bike trying for the next two square mtrs of space...by the time I got to the end (on a Mio) saying I had a case of road rage would be like calling light pink a shade of dark red...now imagine if I had been on a 1000 lb Harley, (they are hot to ride anyway) trying to make that run in 100 degree F...heat....

• Like 4
cybersquat

I have a couple of friends in Cebu that have the large Harleys, same in AC...and to be honest there are many places in Leyte and Samar that they would be good....but yesterday, had I been on my Harley I left in the states, I would have been exhausted or worse...over five miles of stop move a foot stop, five abreast with every trike, pede cab, bus, van, bike trying for the next two square mtrs of space...by the time I got to the end (on a Mio) saying I had a case of road rage would be like calling light pink a shade of dark red...now imagine if I had been on a 1000 lb Harley, (they are hot to ride anyway) trying to make that run in 100 degree F...heat....

Yeah... any large street bike is a hassle when going slow... especially the top-heavy varieties... perhaps a small dual-sport like a KLR 650 makes more sense considering road conditions... traffic congestion etc...

I was just thinking that a larger bike made more sense in Luzon... particularly the North Luzon Expressway as it is a wide (well built?) road that connects many parts of Luzon. I know that the areas you speak of are not good for bikes.

A_Simple_Man
.I read some stuff here and wonder sometimes if I just lucky..

I was lucky (when it comes to stolen vehicles I mean), for 8 years and 4 motorcycles.  Now I am one of the statistics.  It happens.  Never get complacent.   I did and got lucky many times, until now.

Edited by A_Simple_Man
  • Like 2
Lee

Sorry you lost your bike, I guess since you have been lucky all these years, you can just call it part of the cost of living in the Philippines, although it could have happened anywhere, I am guessing that bikes get stolen all the time in most countries. Hope they find it and IMO the gps idea is a good one for future bikes, just IMO add a separate battery since disconnecting the battery may be one of the things they do once they get it in a truck or wherever they wish to chop it up.

Pman

Locking the steering column may not be too effective with the small bikes (easy to pick up) found in the Philippines... but especially effective when you you have a heavy ST bike like mine (700 lb curb weight) that takes about 6 people to lift.

attachicon.gifSANY0003.JPG

You should post in my motorcycles and women thread. Beautiful bike.

• Like 1
cybersquat

You should post in my motorcycles and women thread. Beautiful bike.

Beautiful bikes and beautiful women... goes together like pizza and beer...

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone heard of such a device in Philippines?  Where would you get it and how does it work?

DIdn't read all of this topic yet; but you could refashion a used or no longer used cell phone as a tracker.

• Like 1

Very sorry to hear of your loss.  I always feel violated when something like this happens and vow to never let it occur again. Then eventually I lapse into my old ways.

The Police, LOL, several years ago I met a US military retiree expat that was trying to run a motorcycle rental with his wife. We chatted a bit and he told me he recently had a cycle stolen.  He knew who stole it and where it was at, he notified the police and was basically told F off.

Jester

Seems so nice there. Not racist or anything.

I had a GPS tracker in my Pajero in Papua New Guinea.

Just one of the chinese ones off eBay.

It worked great - I got it after I was robbed in the work carpark and they took my mates car - but couldn't find my keys in the dark (I was laying on them)

It had textback tracking and remote kill. I had more for the chance to immobilise the vehicle and give the cops a chance to ventilate those inside.

I ended up bringing about 10 back from Oz for guys at work who wanted them too.

• Like 1