Motorcycle stolen.

A_Simple_Man

My 5 year old Honda XRM motorcycle was stolen yesterday.  I parked it beside Casablanca restaurant in Dumaguete while I had supper and a couple hours later I found out it was stolen.

From this I learned that motorcycle thefts from places you think are safe are common here.  I kinda knew that but there are certain places that give you a false sense of security, like a high end restaurant with an armed guard at the door who, it turns out, doesn't give a crap if your motorcycle is stolen while you are a customer there.

But the question I have concerns future motorcycles.  I was told of a GPS transmitting device that you can hide on your bike and track with you cell phone if it is stolen.  Thus you could get out your cell phone and drag the cops to the location the bike is at before they start to chop it.

Anyone heard of such a device in Philippines?  Where would you get it and how does it work?

• Like 2
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A_Simple_Man

• cybersquat

• SkyMan

• Woolf

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just buy a Chinese brand motorcycle, best theft deterrent you can get

Did you go down to highway patrol by the capital and give them a report?  Our motor was stolen across from Foundation about 7 months ago and the cops had it back to us in 5 days - recovered on a side

A GPS tracker will not prevent it being stolen   It is better to have a lock that prevent it being stolen   here is one  light weight and not too big     one a little more bulky

Posted Images

Pman

My gf was told by locals to lock the steering column and it will discourage some thiefs. Doesn't work in many places where they have the valet type parking like robinsons.

I always do this in the USA.

Thanks for the idea though guys I will have to buy one of these when I buy a good bike when I get back to PH.

• Like 2
Woolf

A GPS tracker will not prevent it being stolen

It is better to have a lock that prevent it being stolen

here is one  light weight and not too big

41j7+DNc+9L.jpg

one a little more bulky

0000-kryptonite-new-york-fahgettaboudit-

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 5
Woolf

OOoh well hmmm, where is the bike?

chained-motorcycle-=_460x0w.jpg

• Like 3
Woolf

motorbike alarm systems

https://www.google.dk/search?q=motorbike+alarm&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=D_hpVaHqBqeS7AaW9oLYCQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1524&bih=731&dpr=1.25

have both the alarm and the gps tracker

but first thing, have something that make it more difficult to steal the bike

Edited by Woolf
Bill H

And best of all, it is impossible to buy theft protection for bikes under 400cc (at least I was never able to find a company who would sell such a policy after trying for a year to do so.)  Which should give some indication as to the risk of having small bikes stolen there.  Filipinos are not very big usually, but two of them can pick up an XRM125 and carry it off very easily.

• Like 2
Jester

Very sorry to hear of your loss.  I always feel violated when something like this happens and vow to never let it occur again. Then eventually I lapse into my old ways.

The Police, LOL, several years ago I met a US military retiree expat that was trying to run a motorcycle rental with his wife. We chatted a bit and he told me he recently had a cycle stolen.  He knew who stole it and where it was at, he notified the police and was basically told F off.

Jester

• Like 1
spydoo

I also sympathise with you. I imagine it gives you some quite unpleasant thoughts unless you're a better man than I.

I was looking at GPS trackers just a couple of days ago, so I'll add a couple of things. Nearly all Chinese trackers are made either by one manufacturer or to one design, in just a few models. That makes it easier to decide at what level of features and price point you want to enter the market. 

The models I've seen are TK102A, TK102B, TK103A, TK103B, TK104. I'll leave you to do your own research into them.

You need to decide what features you want in them. Live tracking is available, it will probably cost you a little both for data for the SiM card they take and for the server connection, though it's all handled by the chinese company behind these. Geofencing is also possible. I should say features are potentially available because it's caveat emptor on getting some features to work on various models of these.

It's cheaper and easier to use the function where you just text the unit and it texts you back its location. Bear in mind later models are better but they also cost more. For example earlier models lose accuracy if the unit is stationery for a few hours, while later ones lock in the position.

Another issue is that there are also devices that scan for GSM signals so theives can find the unit and throw it onto the back of a truck going the other way. Mobile phone blockers are also effective against them. I imagine these things won't be a problem for protecting small motorcycles in The Philippines, but it comes into play for high end vehicles and plant.

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

Those were some pretty brazen thief's considering there are tables outside where customers can see the side parking area.

Irenicus

My 5 year old Honda XRM motorcycle was stolen yesterday.  I parked it beside Casablanca restaurant in Dumaguete while I had supper and a couple hours later I found out it was stolen.

From this I learned that motorcycle thefts from places you think are safe are common here.  I kinda knew that but there are certain places that give you a false sense of security, like a high end restaurant with an armed guard at the door who, it turns out, doesn't give a crap if your motorcycle is stolen while you are a customer there.

But the question I have concerns future motorcycles.  I was told of a GPS transmitting device that you can hide on your bike and track with you cell phone if it is stolen.  Thus you could get out your cell phone and drag the cops to the location the bike is at before they start to chop it.

Anyone heard of such a device in Philippines?  Where would you get it and how does it work?

Did you go down to highway patrol by the capital and give them a report?  Our motor was stolen across from Foundation about 7 months ago and the cops had it back to us in 5 days - recovered on a side street in Daro with a punched ignition.

My gf was told by locals to lock the steering column and it will discourage some thiefs. Doesn't work in many places where they have the valet type parking like robinsons.

I always do this in the USA.

Thanks for the idea though guys I will have to buy one of these when I buy a good bike when I get back to PH.

Yeah, my uyab didn't lock the column as the mechanism was acting up.  They just pushed it off to a dark corner and punched it. 

Just buy a Chinese brand motorcycle, best theft deterrent you can get :)

Our bike that got stolen was a RUSI Mio clone.

:D

• Like 6
oztony

Sorry to hear that a.s.m. , I was parked there myself 5 weeks ago , a few bikes there already and I ended up near the gate that goes to the back , they should put a camera out the side , I was on the Suzuki scooter so probably no good for the chop chop guys, As far s the security guards go , well they really are just a bell boy with an inoperable fire arm . Hope you get it back.

• Like 4
Kodiak570
How to Protect a Motorcycle From Theft

Make it difficult for motorcycle thieves to steal your bike by creating mechanical deterrents. For example, you can pull a fuse, loosen a spark plug cap, or shut off the gas. Hopefully, the thieves will assume that your bike is broken, or they may just give up trying to figure out the issue.

Connect a concealed kill switch on to your bike so a potential bike thief will have to search for it to start the bike. A kill switch has to be pressed while the rider starts the bike.
  • Like 2
contraman

Ebay has Decals that say "This Vehicle is being tracked by GPS".

Even if is not, would make them think twice.

Hmmm, maybe not :)

• Like 3
smokey

my wife has a cousin who is in the PNP his bike was stolen and never recovered but he did find out who did it...   did not get his bike back but feels better now...

• Like 2