Solar for my new home (Ponson Island, Cebu)

fordtech

I am building a new home on Ponson Island, Cebu and am going to install a solar power system. I will be tied to the grid of course but the power is only on 18 hours a day. I have bought everything but the batteries. I have been researching and researching what is the best and of course all the experts have there own opinion. 

I will report back my progress as things go. 

• Like 6
Paul

First, will you be there year round to look after the system?

Second, first timer regarding a solar installation?

If so, wet cells, like golf cart batteries, would be your best choice.

A system that is grid-tied and with batteries, will be called a hybrid system, I believe.

By the way, I would suggest seeking truly professional and more experienced input, from guys who have been using these systems for years.

Look at these two forums:

Arizona Wind & Sun Forums

Solar Panel Talk

The reason I say that is, battery tech is going through some changes at the moment, and that could affect your decision.

Edited by Paul
Added informational URLs.
  • Like 4
greatplace

I am very interested to hear how everything turns out with your project keep the reports flowing.

Ed1961

i think you have all our interests perked

I am building a new home on Ponson Island, Cebu and am going to install a solar power system. I will be tied to the grid of course but the power is only on 18 hours a day. I have bought everything but the batteries. I have been researching and researching what is the best and of course all the experts have there own opinion. 

I will report back my progress as things go. 

I'm assuming that the 6 hours per day without power is normally late at night to early morning. Do you really need power then?

Solar cells + batteries + inverter is not cheap.

fordtech

I'm assuming that the 6 hours per day without power is normally late at night to early morning. Do you really need power then?

Solar cells + batteries + inverter is not cheap.

The power is off daily from 5am to 11am. I would like to at least have TV, computers and fans. 

Ozepete

It would be far more cost effective to forget solar, connect to the grid and have a small battery bank and inverter for when the power is off. Charge up the battery when there is power.

Solar / battery bank/ inverter systems without subsidies is not cost effective specially in the Philippines where there is low yield.

• Like 1
thebob

The power is off daily from 5am to 11am. I would like to at least have TV, computers and fans. 

So you don't really need the...

Ozpete beat me to it. Spend the money on the panels for a small generator to top up the batteries for extended brownouts.

burnttoast

Solar is huge in the Philippines right now the demand is outstripping the supply.

Paul

Very nice. Pro Tip for sure.

I signed up at both and Solar Panel Talk in particular has loads of info and answers many questions without having to ask as they are all pinned into categories.

Yeah, man. DEFINITELY, some great guys on SolarPanelTalk. Not as large of a crowd, I think, as Wind & Sun. But, a tight group of guys. No BS for sure. All excellent information from those in the know. 

• 3 weeks later...
fordtech

Well just got moved into the pension house and hooked up a quick little setup so for the 5-11am power grid shut down. I can at least have a fan and my computer. It isn't pretty but it works for now. 

post-4885-0-08999100-1433891369_thumb.jpg

Edited by fordtech
Paul

Man, when it comes to protecting your sensitive electrical equipment, the last thing I would do is to buy a cheaper made inverter. 

I bought one similar to that, 2,000 watts continuous, 3,000 watts intermittent, early in 2014. It went south within three months and took some of my electronics with it.