Sign in to follow this  
fordtech

Taxi's and porters at the Port

fordtech

Just a FYI if you are arriving to Cebu via ferry the taxis at the port are complete assholes and also dont let anyone "Help" you with your bags. They are all crooks and want a crazy tip. The 2Go ferry porters with the pink vests on are the worst. I had one on Friday carry one bag from the fast ferry to the parking lot out front, I handed him 50p and he said no Sir its 300p, I told him are you fecking kidding me, that a days wages. Then the taxi wants 500p to go to Mactan. 

• Like 4

goggleye

Haul your own bag out to the street and you can get a regular meter taxi fare   

• Like 7

KennyF

You are not alone.

It has been reported by many holiday makers to the Philippines that the worst part was "the monkeys at the ferry terminals".

KonC

• Like 2

smokey

Just a FYI if you are arriving to Cebu via ferry the taxis at the port are complete assholes and also dont let anyone "Help" you with your bags. They are all crooks and want a crazy tip. The 2Go ferry porters with the pink vests on are the worst. I had one on Friday carry one bag from the fast ferry to the parking lot out front, I handed him 50p and he said no Sir its 300p, I told him are you fecking kidding me, that a days wages. Then the taxi wants 500p to go to Mactan. 

its the culture you have the money and they want or need it... enjoy

Haul your own bag out to the street and you can get a regular meter taxi fare   

that will work if you out wait the crowd last time we arrived the taxi wanted 1,000 for a 180 peso ride... I said no ... wait 20 min.. it got down to 500 wait another 15 min it was 300 and I said ok

• Like 1

ozboy

We found the porters at Bohol worse....they physically picked stuff up we were loading ourselves and continued inspite of us saying no......demanded payment and even after doing so they appeared pissed off.. 

Taxis at Pier 1...better to grab a kid/guy to help you carry stuff up the road and catch a random taxi....

• Like 2

Hy H

We found the porters at Bohol worse....they physically picked stuff up we were loading ourselves and continued inspite of us saying no......demanded payment and even after doing so they appeared pissed off.. 

Taxis at Pier 1...better to grab a kid/guy to help you carry stuff up the road and catch a random taxi....

Indeed very negative and intimidating experience to new comers at Tagbilaran Pier. Go there alone as a foreigner makes one feel like jumping back to the boat and out of there.  Does not give one very welcoming feeling at moment you step onto the nice Island. Natives do not seem to care too much about it, hence why much better go with someone who knows what to expect there and has knowledge of the pricing to various locations. 

burnttoast

Remember that a lot of the so called hospitality towards foreigners is based on the perception that they are all rich. And because they are naturally rich they can share their money. When a foreigner comes off as kuripot or even tries to negotiate from local pricing knowledge all the smiles get erased really fast. 

SkyMan

It helps to say Dili Salamat Oy!  Then they at least know you didn't just fall off the turnip truck.  You could even smile and say Kuripot ko.  I've only once paid a porter.  Had four heavy bags in a stateroom and paid about p200. 

• Like 1

SkyMan

Was on Bantayan last week (Waiting for a German friend and his gf who never showed, :unknw:) and the trike drivers were a complete PITA.  Just like Hy H said, made me want to get back on the ferry.  Was hounded the whole way down the pier but just walked to the resort.  While there it was more pleasant as the pedal guys and scooter renters figured out we weren't interested.  Upon leaving we walked the beach to the pier, nice and quiet.  I think next trip we'll probably ride a bike though.

Edited by SkyMan

cebulover2000

I NEVER let anyone help me with ANYTHING!!!!

like me, my wife would hate you (because she hates me when I have that attitude, hahaha

cebulover2000

Indeed very negative and intimidating experience to new comers at Tagbilaran Pier. Go there alone as a foreigner makes one feel like jumping back to the boat and out of there.  Does not give one very welcoming feeling at moment you step onto the nice Island. Natives do not seem to care too much about it, hence why much better go with someone who knows what to expect there and has knowledge of the pricing to various locations. 

It's a game, we went there in March and I started walking, the price dropped so fast, haha - but I didn't want a ride, I wanted to rent a motorbike, so we save the whole transfer, but even the motorbike guy didn't believe how stubborn I can be, finally the owner came and I said "sir" to him and he couldnt resist, lol

SkyMan

that will work if you out wait the crowd last time we arrived the taxi wanted 1,000 for a 180 peso ride... I said no ... wait 20 min.. it got down to 500 wait another 15 min it was 300 and I said ok
If you had walked to the highway you'd have gotten your 180p ride and only taken 10 minutes to get it.  

I had one on Friday carry one bag from the fast ferry to the parking lot out front, I handed him 50p and he said no Sir its 300p, I told him are you fecking kidding me, that a days wages.
You violated the rule of firsts.  Negotiate the price first.

oztony

I carry all of our stuff , even on arrival in country or exiting country , let alone the little outings while in country,

to pick a bag up and carry it 20 meters and then expect 100 PHP is out of control , and as far as I am concerned

the porters and bag boys in PI have all done themselves out of an earn by just becoming completely unrealistic on

what their service is actually worth. The perfect way to watch your penny's on a trip to the PI is by starting right there , with those guys.

• Like 2

cebulover2000

It helps to say Dili Salamat Oy!  Then they at least know you didn't just fall off the turnip truck.  You could even smile and say Kuripot ko.  I've only once paid a porter.  Had four heavy bags in a stateroom and paid about p200. 

we came late from Bohol, maybe 10 pm, the first guy wanted 500, I kept walking, it only takes 100 m of walking and you get meter, easy.

The best was 2 years ago, we arrived at Mactan airport, crowded, the imbeciles wanted 700 and up, no way, we walked up across up the stairs, my wife says ït's only $20, I said, no it's 2 days salary. Then shock, 100 people waiting up stairs, no way. I started walking and flagged down a taxi 50 m across the road, paid meter, ah, triumph, hahaha - you should have seen my wife's face.

• Like 2

Hy H

It helps to say Dili Salamat Oy!  Then they at least know you didn't just fall off the turnip truck.  You could even smile and say Kuripot ko.

Agree with you on this.

Knowing to respond with even little local language skills and knowhow dilutes the anticipation for a way overpriced opportunistic earn and chest beating for driver amongst his peers.