Sign in to follow this  
to_dave007

State of Water Calamity in Cebu

SkyMan

Good idea..  but not so easy in areas without electricity.

Yeah, tell the guys they've got to ride that pump for 24 hours straight before you'll accept it.  Hahahahaha  If you had electricity in the area maybe run wires to  a neighbor?) you could have your driller rent a submersible and run that if you think you really need a test.

And yes..  we want to go as deep as possible.  Your comment makes me wonder if we shouldn't stop now, and wait till right at end of dry spell..  to see how much deeper the water goes..  then drill down to it before the water table comes back up in the rainy season.

First off you're going to need to go deeper to give yourself some head.  (And I'm not talking about the contortionist variety.) You need some water above your pump end as well as some below for sediment.    However, go too deep and the bottom of the shaft may collapse so you aren't out of the woods yet.  If it collapses and traps the drill head, well, we'll pray that doesn't happen.  What are you doing for casing?  What's the bore diameter?  I'm not sure if a hand pump uses the casing or a down pipe to raise the water but you may have to install the casing even before you test the pump.

I'm not sure if I'd worry about a lower water level due to continued drought as you may have the deepest well (elevation wise) in the area.

Edited by SkyMan

Headshot

You have to have casing, at least part of the way down the hole to exclude any surface contamination. Of course, it is preferable to case the entire length to keep the bottom of the well from caving, and the lower part of the casing is perforated to allow water to flow into the pipe. As Skyman said, you really need to continue drilling until you develop some head in the hole, but don't wait too long to case the drill hole. Once water starts flowing into the well, the sides of the hole can become unstable. However, you absolutely need to drill until you have adequate flow.

Paddy

Our well is nowhere near as deep as this target (140') and for the first couple of years gave good performance. This year was particularly dry in the summer (it normally rains a few times while I am there - but not this year). Recently the water level in the well dropped below the foot valve and we had to extend it some 5 feet. It's all we could do quickly but it's not really enough. What we need to do is add 20 plus feet to the depth of the well so the foot valve can go down at least the extra 20 feet from its original position. Assuming we do that and assuming this year represents close to the worst case, we should be ok going forward.  The problem is going to be the time it takes to set up and drill the extra distance. While that's going on, this well will be out of action so it will be hand pumped and carried water in the house rather than just turn the faucet on. It's more fun in the Philippines :)

SkyMan

That's why I went for extra depth.  I plan to only drill one well and only do it once.  The nice thing is that the depth of well below the water level has no effect on the pump.  Even if you had 3 or 4 hundred feet of head below the water level it would effect the pump.

• Like 1

to_dave007

This was REALLY not a good week.

Foreman reported to me at 7.30am on Saturday August 8 that they hit 130 feet depth as at end of Friday 7 Aug, after total 55 days drilling..  starting June 10.  Overall 1 foot/day this week.. hard rock all of week.  Still limestone, just a hard type.  Unfortunately, the water we had on Monday dried up..  No flow at all.. Must have just been some small pocket.  So by Friday..  no water at all again.

But that's not the worst of it.

Don't know how.. or why.. it happened..  but 60 feet of pipe, with the drill bit on the end..  is sitting 70 feet down in the well..  and they are having serious trouble to fish it back out.  This happened once earlier in the drilling, and they were able to retrieve it..  but this time the 70 foot depth may defeat them.  They rented some tools on the weekend that they hope will help.

Regardless..  this will be the last week of work on this well for a while.  The entire team has a house construction job to go to next week..  so all drilling will stop Thursday at latest, and they'll store all the materials and put a concrete cap on the well for now.  When I get there in November the construction job will be winding up, and we'll decide what to do about the well.

All in all..  a VERY disappointing and discouraging week, for all participants.