Sign in to follow this  
to_dave007

State of Water Calamity in Cebu

SkyMan

It made me very thankful that I don't live on top of a hill like Skyman does.
We get these sudden surprise strikes once in a while.  No warning.  No distant rumbles moving closer.  Just completely out of the blue we'll get a very close, very loud strike.  Really wakes you up.

We have an open top steel drum under the edge of the roof.  No down spout going into it, just sitting there.  It was empty 4 days ago and is full now.  I think that indicates a lot of water is going back into the water table.  At least in this area.  I think our water is fed a lot by the big valley behind us.

Headshot

I think one of the lightning strikes must have found my well (probably the best ground around) because it the circuit breaker to the well pump opened and had to be manually reset. It didn't damage the pump though.

Paul

I think one of the lightning strikes must have found my well (probably the best ground around) because it the circuit breaker to the well pump opened and had to be manually reset. It didn't damage the pump though.

Best? How about, probably the ONLY ground around. :D

to_dave007

58 feet depth as at end of Friday 26 June, after total 16 days drilling..  June 10,11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26.  Team unchanged from last report.  No water yet. Rock much harder to drill through this week, as daily average fell from 4.6 feet/day to 1.8 feet/day.  Still limestone, just a harder type.  They expect to break through to a softer layer underneath still. They expect to reach water at 90 +/- 10 feet.

First set construction gloves worn out.  New gloves today.

Team spirits good from what I'm told. 

Interestingly.  Only 1 day of rain (and it was heavy rain) in the time since they started drilling.  So the daily rains being seen along coast, are not happening there. 

Edited by to_dave007

Paddy

In the village where we have our house on Masbate, water has always been a problem. It's not that it's not there, it's just difficult, and therefore expensive, to get at. The barangay has tried to solve the problem with wells and a simple distribution system, but these solutions, having failed in some manner never get fixed. It doesn't help that water at or near the surface has been pretty scarce.

The last couple of years we have made some good progress with water in the village. Of course, we solved for us first, but now we're seeing what we can do to solve for the village.

When I travel, I usually do a simple write up with photos to let family, friends and colleagues know what's going on. I did this write up back in May. You folks might be interested.

Im Pumped.pdf

• Like 2

smokey

It's wet pretty much every night on Cebu anymore.

now that the  water shortage is over we can read everyday about the floods... one calamity after another .

• Like 2

to_dave007

80 feet depth as at end of Friday 4 July, after total 23 days drilling..  June 10,11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, July 1, 2, 3.  Team unchanged from last report.  No water yet. Overage 3.1 feet/day this week.. higher in early part of the week, but down to 1 ft/day near end of week due to hard rock.  Still limestone, just a harder type.  They expect to break through to a softer layer underneath still. They expect to reach water at 90 +/- 10 feet.

Fingers crossed this week.

• Like 1

SkyMan

It's actually a plus you're drilling in a drought (you haven't mentioned rain in the last week).  This way when you hit water it won't matter wet or dry season.  How far do you plan to drill below the the water.

to_dave007

It's actually a plus you're drilling in a drought (you haven't mentioned rain in the last week).  This way when you hit water it won't matter wet or dry season.  How far do you plan to drill below the the water.

Thanks.. I thought the same. Right now we have fingers crossed that we hit water AT ALL.  We are hoping the water is just on the other side of hard rock we are going through now.  If we do, I thinking we'll just continue as far we can.  Realistically with this drilling technique I think there are limits though on how much further you can go once water is reached..  as any water in the well will impede the gravity based fall of the drill bit.  So I think that's what will determine the final drilling depth.  And of course it makes a strong argument for drilling in dry season.. when water levels are as low as possible.

I didn't mention rain this last week, because I forgot to ask.

Last week I asked the municipal engineer in Tuburan "Is there still a state of water calamity, now that rains seem to have started? Sounds like a lot of rain on east side of Cebu, and along coast, but not so much in western mountains.".  He responded "it rained in June but the dry season El Niño will start July onwards".  Ask me in 2016.. and I'll tell you with 100% certainty when the 2015 dry season will end...

Edited by to_dave007

Headshot

If you drill into a deep aquifer, it won't matter what's currently happening on the surface. Water takes many years to get through aquifers, so unless there is a drought that lasts long enough to empty an aquifer, you will always have water. I had a deep well in the US and I have a deep well here. In both cases, I have about 50 feet of standing water in my well, so it isn't likely the aquifer will ever empty to the point where I suck air. Make sure your well is adequately cased, so you don't get water running between the near-surface and the aquifer where you are drawing water. Otherwise, you will get contaminated water in your well. Once an aquifer is contaminated, it is pretty much ruined forever.

• Like 1

to_dave007

I agree.. if it's a deep aquifer..  But I'm not so sure I agree that the aquifers on Cebu are that deep.  Certainly not even close to the size of aquifers in other parts of the world.  I think I read somewhere (can't remember where.. sorry) that under the limestone there is an impervious layer of rock that forms a kind of aquifer "shed" running north south down the island, splitting the eastern aquifer from the western aquifer, which likely means that none is wider than about 30 km. Plus the limestone is fairly porous.

to_dave007

95 feet depth as at end of Friday 10 July, after total 30 days drilling..  June 10,11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, July 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10.  Team unchanged from last report.  No water yet. Overall 2.5 feet/day this week.. hard rock most of week.  Still limestone, just a harder type.  They hope to break through to a softer layer underneath still, but seeming less likely. They expected to reach water at 90 +/- 10 feet, and we are almost through that now.

Fingers crossed last week.  Everyone's starting to feel discouraged this week. Been hard work for the last month.  Decided with my foreman that in the worst case.. we'll go to 140 feet..  if no water is found we'll stop at 140.  We all hope that's not the case, and the local well experts are adamant we'll hit water before 140.  Still it's discouraging.  We need to keep the team pulling together through this.  Sent two bottle of Emperador back with the foreman on Saturday.. and they'll knock off early that day.  Then start again with their eyes on 140 feet. I hope we don't need to go that far. 

[Going under the knife here this week.. to install a new knee.. so next report will be disrupted].

SkyMan

Must've hit water by now.  If the head is over 100ft you may want to rethink the pump and go with a submersible.  Although I understand a jet pump will work to 150ft, you may have trouble keeping it primed.

Paul

next report will be disrupted].

Elevator music playing.

• Like 1

to_dave007

109 feet depth as at end of Friday 17 July, after total 37 days drilling..  starting June 10.  Team unchanged from last report.  No water yet. Overall 2 feet/day this week.. hard rock all of week.  Still limestone, just a harder type.  They hope to break through to a softer layer underneath still, but seeming less likely. They expected to reach water at 90 +/- 10 feet, and we are obviously past that now.  Goal reset to 140 feet.  Team spirits good, partly because there seems to be some colored layers they are going through and they think it means softer water bearing layer just below.  I know the work is backbreaking at this point.

============

116 feet depth as at end of Friday 24 July, after total 43 days drilling..  starting June 10.  No water yet. Overall 1.2 feet/day this week.. hard rock all of week.  Still limestone, just a hard type.  The "old guys" who've seen other wells dug still think there's water here, but there is a crisis of confidence.  The work is backbreaking, and everyone feeling discouraged, partly because they think my own commitment to support this is flagging.  I send 500 peso of meat/fish and Emperador  and renew my commitment to stay with this until we hit water or 140 feet.

============

Tough to decide what to do at this point.  Do we stop..  short of 140 feet?  or slug it out now that we are already most of the way.  I've opted for the latter, though I admit my own confidence that we'll hit water is now severely shaken.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 2