Sign in to follow this  
to_dave007

State of Water Calamity in Cebu

to_dave007

42 feet depth as at end of Friday 19 June, after total 9 days drilling..  June 10,11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.  Team unchanged from last report.  No water yet.

Must be tough slogging.  These guys are all working guys, with hard hands, yet they bought construction gloves this week for the blisters.  Most of these guys have worked for me on and off for 18+ months and this is first time they needed gloves.

We've had quite a bit of rain.. heavy rain..  along the coast in last 3 weeks, but still not much in mountain. 

Edited by to_dave007

SkyMan

Partly.. yes.. But 2 of the guys work doing nothing but fetching the water they need to put down the hole to make the slurry. The problem is that they have to bring it nearly a kilometer now, and they have to wait in line to get it in first place..  Next nearest source is about 2km away.

Because we didn't have a well yet, our water supply was me driving 6 plastic barrels to a friend's house in town and filling them off their hose.  Then driving back up to our place and using a 1/2HP pump, pumping them into our bit tank that was raised about 5.5 ft.  When the drilling started I put an open toppped steel drum near the drill and I would fill it when it would get low.  No need for fetchers.

to_dave007

Because we didn't have a well yet, our water supply was me driving 6 plastic barrels to a friend's house in town and filling them off their hose.  Then driving back up to our place and using a 1/2HP pump, pumping them into our bit tank that was raised about 5.5 ft.  When the drilling started I put an open toppped steel drum near the drill and I would fill it when it would get low.  No need for fetchers.

This site is habel habel only.  There is a road allowance right beside it, and municipality has "started" to improve the road.. but realistically still a long way to go.  There are costs to pay regardless of whether I use fetchers, or find some alternative way.  As it is, they costing a total of 400 peso per day, and they were easy to get going. 

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 1

Paul

Because we didn't have a well yet, our water supply was me driving 6 plastic barrels to a friend's house in town and filling them off their hose.

You did that for years.

to_dave007

That explains why you have such a big crowd employed.  We never had more than three guys working and when there were three, one of them was a young teenage gofer kid.  They used a scaffold made from 2 inch GI pipe and had a pulley at the top. The rope went from the drill over the pulley and down to a spool chain driven by a small motor.  They drilled 205 feet which left 25 ft of head.  No dry run during this spell and we're starting to get rain again.

Skyman where is this well?  How far from the ocean?  And approximately what altitude?

Hoping I don't need to go to 200 feet.. 

Paul

Skyman where is this well?  How far from the ocean?  And approximately what altitude?

Hoping I don't need to go to 200 feet.. 

It's at his home, in Lilo-An. Not sure of the altitude. But, it goes uphill to his property. (He has a well drilling thread with photos on this site.)

to_dave007

It's at his home, in Lilo-An. Not sure of the altitude. But, it goes uphill to his property. (He has a well drilling thread with photos on this site.)

how far from the ocean?

SkyMan

The problem is that PAGASA predictions are for a long hot summer period extending several months more, before the rains come.  It's likely that we aren't even 1/2 way into this yet.
Another fine PAGASA prediction.  At least this time they were wrong in a good way.
  • Like 2

SkyMan

Skyman where is this well?  How far from the ocean?  And approximately what altitude?   Hoping I don't need to go to 200 feet.. 
Sorry I didn't see this sooner.  I'm in Liloan, Google Earth has me at 1 mile from the beach.  Altitude is probably 180ft.
  • Like 1

Headshot

I think we can safely say the Cebu water calamity is officially over. Last night we got hit by a micro-burst thunderstorm with about twenty lightning strikes within a few hundred meters of our house every minute for about ten minutes and so much wind and rain that we had water being driven under our fully caulked sliding windows (because it simply had no place else to go) and our street at flood stage. The lightning was so intense and so close, it sounded like a massive artillery strike, with the flashes and "cracks" coming simultaneously. They were way too close to hear normal thunder (hence the "crack" we heard with each strike), The lights flickered a few times, but I got all of the electronics unplugged soon enough that there was no damage. I know that the lightning hit the roof of the house two lots up the hill from me and hit the factory behind my house several times during the storm. We have been getting extremely heavy rain every night for the last week, but this was exceptional. It really scared my wife and my dogs (which are a couple of cowards anyway). It made me very thankful that I don't live on top of a hill like Skyman does.

Edited by Headshot

BossHog

I think we can safely say the Cebu water calamity is officially over.

There's some weather brewing in the Pacific so more may be on the way.

You guys getting much rain in Cebu tonight?

From the Doppler it looks wet.

Headshot

It's wet pretty much every night on Cebu anymore.

• Like 1

to_dave007

I think we can safely say the Cebu water calamity is officially over.

Certainly seems like it.  North west coast has had rain pretty much daily now for a week, and forecast seems to be more and more of the same for at least next few weeks.  I did not several days ago that wife said we had lots of rain at coast, but less so in mountain.  We have deep well progress review tomorrow so I'll learn more then.

Regardless, we are already in motion on the well, and more than half way to depth we are expecting, so we'll just keep pushing it to the end at this point. 

[Just as a side note..  Even a week of exceptionally heavy rain may not end the water calamity immediately.  A heavy rain in a short period of time may NOT do so much to refill the aquifer (underground water) because a lot of the rain simply runs off along the surface.  It's also more important to see what rain falls at the headlands of the water sources, rather that close to the ocean.  I'll be asking how well the artesian wells are doing in the mountain, to see if flow levels have recovered, as that'll be a better guide to whether of not the "calamity" is past yet.  Similarly, for Cebu City, the guide will be whether or not the mountain water reservoirs, some of which were completely empty, are refilled to seasonal levels.]

Edited by to_dave007

Paul

I guess the people who think Global Warming and El Niño are going to keep the rains away can now put away their silly little toys. 

• Like 1