Sign in to follow this  
to_dave007

State of Water Calamity in Cebu

Headshot

If you don't mind saying, why did you plumb it that way, rather than maybe running the well pump to a pressure tank, and then use that to supply the house directly? You could have piped your tower tank to still be filled by the well, thus having storage in case of a power cut, right? (This is assuming you have no back up power for your well pump?) 

Unless you cycle the water in the storage tank, it won't be fit to drink. It basically goes stagnant. The storage tank is always full or nearly full (I have the float switch set up that way). By running through the tank...

1) you don't have to switch anything over if the pressure pump goes bad (it bypasses automatically), and

2) the water in the storage tank is always fresh from the well.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 3

Downbutnotout

I agree that this water shortgage is pretty serious. The water pressure where I am currently living in North Mandaue City has been really low for at least a week. When we first moved to this new place in March 2015 I could take a shower and heat the water if I wanted no problem. Now I have no choice but to take my shower the same way the locals do, out of a pail. No decent amount of rain here either. I am just renting right now so my wife and I have little choice but to rely on the MCWD water supply.

Paul

I am just renting right now so my wife and I have little choice but to rely on the MCWD water supply.

Move to Labangon, Cebu City. The water pressure there, especially in Doña Esperanza Village, Labangon, is EXCELLENT. It's off Katipunan Street. 

RogerDuMond

Move to Labangon, Cebu City. The water pressure there, especially in Doña Esperanza Village, Labangon, is EXCELLENT. It's off Katipunan Street. 

Or the other side of the mountains. The longest we have been without rain this dry season is 3 days. For those traveling the Transcentral highway often, have you ever noticed that when it is raining on one side of the mountains it usually is nice on the other side?

• Like 1

Downbutnotout

Thanks for the tip. However my wife and I just moved to North Mandaue a few months ago and I do not want to move again so soon unless I have no choice.  Other reasons I do not want to move include the fact that nearly every Filipino that I have rented from over here screwed me over in one way or another. Right now I am renting from a foreigner, an Irishman and he is a decent landlord.

Also I am planning to move back to Canada and petition for my wife to come there. After living here for almost 3 years now I  completely understand why most Filipinos would rather get a job where they have to clean the crap out of a toilet somewhere like the United States or Canada than stay here and try to make a living.

• Like 4

to_dave007

My foreman has made the "drill" now. It's a section of about 3" pipe, about 6 or 8 feet long, with a sharpened pieces of 1/2" or 1" metal welded in at one end, and then filled with concrete to give it more punch.  Most of the well casing pipe is already on site, and the family members went on site today. My foreman will arrive tomorrow, and well drilling starts Wednesday.  Today my foreman estimated 2 to 4 feet drilling per day, for 4 to 8 weeks, with water expected before 100 feet.  He asked to be able to hire 1 or 2 guys (@ 200 peso a day) to pitch water for the drilling effort if needed.  I told him to use his discretion if it's needed.

He'll come to my house every Saturday morning for a meeting with me via Skype, and to pick up his salary.

Fingers crossed.

Banacon

We have a deep well and 50 feet tower. On cpg island off of bohol. I supply water to two family homes and ours. Also for the cabaw and cows. The public well nearby is dry, have not seen anyone there for 4 days. We run the pump for five minutes and off for 15. Any longer and I might have to reprime the pump. Our reverse osmosis system has a small electric assist pump for low pressure. Well is on side of hill, above back of house. I developed a downspout rain water system, used it a few times before rains quit. Has a small pump to pump to tower tank. During rainy season deep well becomes brown..so far so good.

• Like 1

Alk

I have been living next to Ayala Mall since late January.

In the time, I have NEVER yet used my umbrella.   It has sprinkled a few times and rained at night some I am sure.   but it was never threatening rain before i walked out the door.  A couple of times it was lightly raining when i leaving the mall.  I simply waited 5-10 minutes for it to stop and walked home.

It is hard to believe I am in a tropical country so far.

to_dave007

As at end of day Friday 12 June, with 3 days work complete (June 10, 11,12), well depth is 14 feet.  Progress is a little faster than expected, mostly because haven't hit hard rock yet.  Total team 7 men.  Foreman, 4 on well, and 2 pitching water from about 600 meters away.  Was expecting one less team member, one extra guy crept in at last moment.  Next report will be this coming Saturday, via Skype.  Some team adjustments this week, as another BIL (age 17 and very good worker for his age) is available and he will displace one non-family member.

Been raining a bit more this past week.  Some rains heavy.  Haven't heard what's going on with mountain aquifers though.  Doesn't matter at this point, as I'm committed to seeing the well through to the end.

• Like 2

Banacon

14 feet? Did I read that wrong? 3 days? Rock?....ok ok..rock, read again. Good luck..

Edited by Banacon

to_dave007

14 feet? Did I read that wrong? 3 days? Rock?

You haven't seen how they drill these wells have you. No powered equipment at all. Just drop a heavy bit with a pointy end thousands of times. Then pull water slurry mixture to the surface. All by hand. No pumps. No motors or engines of any kind.

And even if you wanted to use a drill on a truck, there are no roads to this location. Only accessible by motorcycle.

Fortunately they are drilling exclusively through limestone, which is pretty soft, with some harder pockets.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 1

Banacon

I hope you get good water...My well was through dirt, clay and sand..water looks clean but my sediment filter on first stage tells me differently. Suppose to last 6 months but I change monthly..afraid if we went deeper we would get salty water..

• Like 1

to_dave007

I hope you get good water...My well was through dirt, clay and sand..water looks clean but my sediment filter on first stage tells me differently. Suppose to last 6 months but I change monthly..afraid if we went deeper we would get salty water..

The area where they are drilling has a pretty good record of clean water, and I think they are about 10km from the sea, and I think enough above sea level, that salt is not an issue. What I'm more concerned about is how low the water table gets in the driest years.. can we get that low.. we can't know yet.

And they won't put any filters at all.. We'll get the water tested by the LGU.. and I'm expecting that it will be potable (after it's properly concreted and after the initial water is pumped out).

Will be hand pump BTW.. no electric.

Edited by to_dave007

SkyMan

You haven't seen how they drill these wells have you. No powered equipment at all. Just drop a heavy bit with a pointy end thousands of times. Then pull water slurry mixture to the surface. All by hand. No pumps. No motors or engines of any kind.
That explains why you have such a big crowd employed.  We never had more than three guys working and when there were three, one of them was a young teenage gofer kid.  They used a scaffold made from 2 inch GI pipe and had a pulley at the top. The rope went from the drill over the pulley and down to a spool chain driven by a small motor.  They drilled 205 feet which left 25 ft of head.  No dry run during this spell and we're starting to get rain again.
  • Like 2

to_dave007

That explains why you have such a big crowd employed.  We never had more than three guys working and when there were three, one of them was a young teenage gofer kid.  They used a scaffold made from 2 inch GI pipe and had a pulley at the top. The rope went from the drill over the pulley and down to a spool chain driven by a small motor.  They drilled 205 feet which left 25 ft of head.  No dry run during this spell and we're starting to get rain again.

Partly.. yes.. But 2 of the guys work doing nothing but fetching the water they need to put down the hole to make the slurry. The problem is that they have to bring it nearly a kilometer now, and they have to wait in line to get it in first place..  Next nearest source is about 2km away.