Sign in to follow this  
to_dave007

State of Water Calamity in Cebu

littlejohn

Were on a mid size town water supply and pay 34 pesos per meter so 50p isn't to far out of the ball park. At the bakery were taking over from family they allow people to get water and leave coins in a can it covered over half the bill there.

Paul

Looks a lot like our tower-wish I had gone ahead and had well drilled also. During this dry spell, there has been couple times that not enough pressure from water line to fill tank at night,so we end up with no water for a day.

Not to pick at you here, Bill. But, that is why I suggested going with a bit larger tank, even than what you went with. Of course, as heavy as water is, I also realize how heavy it is, and how heavy of a tower it would take to support a very large tank. (A number of places here have 6,000 liters of storage, or more, over 50' feet high.) 

Personally, I want as much water storage around me as possible. We can go without food if necessary, for quite a while. Water, however, we cannot.

• Like 3

bargeman

How many Filipino's does it take to install a well ?  

As many as they can get you to pay for. :cool:

• Like 2

Paul

post-16827-0-27585700-1433027801.jpg

How many liters is the tank? If you posted it, I must have missed it along the way.

Headshot

How many liters is the tank? If you posted it, I must have missed it along the way.

What I want to know is how he climbs up through the hole at the top of the ladder with the tank sitting right on top of the hole.

• Like 3

oztony

What I want to know is how he climbs up through the hole at the top of the ladder with the tank sitting right on top of the hole.

If you actually click on the picture it opens up to even bigger again and you can see the tank does not sit on the red steel directly ,

there is actually a tubular galvanised steel frame that it sits on. Looks like about 1 metre of clearance ,

You can notice it if you look at the opposite side to the ladder access even if you don't click on the picture to expand it.

Ed1961

Thanks for the compliments.

Its a bit of a tight fit to get up there. I figure I can find a skinny guy to climb it for me thru the access if needed, or i'll wait till im dehydrated some.

RE: the tank size its a 2200 liter. I wanted the 3000 liter but had no way of getting it onsite except helicopter lift.... (f,k, that)

total cost is somewhere a bit shy of P200k. That includes money that walked away with first contractor (yeah i still have his welder).

Most all the piping is GI sched 60, and tsp (hope thats correct verbage for brand) connectors. Some of the lower quality piping parts u get locally I tried to stay away from but some pieces sneaked in.

I have a 5000 watt evr inline and in the next few days will submain the system with its own meter to see how well it pays its own electric. Its on its own 30a breaker.

Im finished adding additional concrete today, making the pad more square and my final push to make sure its sturdy for most any weather or natural event.

frame is 3x3. 1/4 inch. All other framing is also 1/4 inch.

• Like 6

Boss Ross

All of the rainwater from my roof runs into a 7500 liter cistern under the cabana in my yard. From the cistern, any excess water flows into the storm drain and down the creek behind my house. The rainwater in the cistern is for fire fighting, and the cistern is now required by Mandaue City for all new construction, since they are too cheap to install fire hydrants and a real water distribution system. There is no way I would use that rainwater for any other purpose (than firefighting) because the amount of diesel particulate matter in the air (black dust) is so high that the runoff water from the roof would probably be unsuitable even for watering plants...especially for any plants producing fruit (fruit trees). I have a 130-foot deep well that has 50 feet of head in it (water up to the 80-foot mark). In other words, I seriously doubt that I will ever have to worry about the well going dry. The water is pumped up from the well to an 1100 liter tank in a tower in the back of my house (above the second floor level). From the storage tank, the water is filtered and pressurized (pressure tank) before it enters the house.

Hello,

Remember me? We met while eating lunch with Greg who brought us all stuff from the states. Like many places we seem to be running short on water here too (San Fernando). So I am always looking into info on a well. So a few questions if you don't mind. 

* the sump pump in your well sends the water to your tank on a tower, Right? How high is the tower - above second story so about 30 feet?

*you said the water is filtered. Is that with a general filter system before the pressure tank? I brought a reverse osmosis filter system from the states. It requires at least 40 psi to operate. You probably do not get 40 psi from gravity flow from your tank, do you?

* do you use a second pump to pressurize the tank?

Thanks,
Ross
Edited by Paul

Paul

1 vertical foot = 0.433 psi (pounds per square inch)

So, 30 feet would only give you about 13 psi.

In Bill's case, it seems as though he gravity feeds the water to a pump & tank, which then sends it to the house at XX psi. Am I correct here, Bill? 

Headshot

1 vertical foot = 0.433 psi (pounds per square inch)

So, 30 feet would only give you about 13 psi.

In Bill's case, it seems as though he gravity feeds the water to a pump & tank, which then sends it to the house at XX psi. Am I correct here, Bill? 

That is correct. You have to build a tower that is 70 to 100 feet tall to get adequate pressure for a house, which was why I added the pump and pressure tank after my storage tank. Having a shorter tower with a storage tank gives me some pressure even if my pump and pressure tank go out. The pressure will be greatly reduced, but at least there will be water. The storage tank is filled by the well pump, which in turn is controlled by a float switch in the storage tank.

Paul

The storage tank is filled by the well pump, which in turn is controlled by a float switch in the storage tank.

If you don't mind saying, why did you plumb it that way, rather than maybe running the well pump to a pressure tank, and then use that to supply the house directly? You could have piped your tower tank to still be filled by the well, thus having storage in case of a power cut, right? (This is assuming you have no back up power for your well pump?) 

fred42

We stuck a couple of 1500 ltr tanks on our slab roof..

The hot n cold showers are only one meter below and they run fine for all 5 units.. No complaints about pressure yet.

Paul

We stuck a couple of 1500 ltr tanks on our slab roof..

At what height are the tanks? 

Are you running low pressure rated water heaters? 

easy44

Water heaters? What's that? Lol

• Like 1

fred42

The slab is 2 floors high so about 6.5 meters.

Yeah..we specifically asked for low pressure units and like I said,they all work fine.

The pressure on the ground floor units obviously is more than adequate.

We have 27 cubic meters of water storage.. 20 below ground and 7 under the stair well that leads to second floor..Not including the 3 tons on the roof..

That said one of the 1500 liter tanks is salt water pumped from a ground well that serves CR flushing and certain faucets for cleaning purposes etc..

We collect rain water from the 200 sqr meter roof.. Man!! does that work good!! (when we have rain)

• Like 3