Sign in to follow this  
to_dave007

State of Water Calamity in Cebu

to_dave007

I built a 4500 liter above ground concrete water tank that has served me well for more than 8 years.  Just use lots of kabilya (rebar) and put Sahara waterproofing additive in the cement.

That's exactly what I'm planning.

In Moalboal the situate is dire.

Pretty much the same here, though we don't have nearly so many resorts, so much less tourism and swimming pools. The trucks to deliver water to mountain areas have started.

They had a typhoid outbreak here a few years back because of dirty water, so it's a sensitive political subject here.

Edited by to_dave007

thebob

Sure 4.5 cubic isn't hard to build but that isn't going to get you through months of drought. As you scale up, it gets more expensive and more difficult.

Paul
Collecting rainwater is a great idea, but it isn't really practical considering the cost.

Not sure what a sack of concrete costs in the Philippines now. Here, it is less than Php 220 ($5.00 USD) per sack. sand and gravel / rock are pretty cheap as well. That is, if you wish to build a concrete cistern. They also have prefabricated concrete rings that many use here for water storage, as well as in ground septic tanks. (I will try to get some photos of one as soon as I can, while out.)

I paid $150 USD for my 1,500 liter (~400 gallons) stainless steel water tank. I pay (I believe?) $25 USD for each 1,200 liter water jar, delivered. 

For me, going without water will never be an option. I experienced it, although for only two days, back when I lived in Sihanoukville. Although that was only two days, I made a decision then, that it would never happen to me again. So far, it hasn't. 

So, while it may be impractical to spend the money for water collection / storage, I would rather piss money away on that, than on something that would not benefit me through a crisis. 

Edited by Paul
  • Like 3

easy44

IMHO... Here in the PI, it will come down to he who has water wins

Everywhere, not just the PH. Look at what's happening in California these days.

• Like 3

to_dave007

So, while it may be impractical to spend the money for water collection / storage, I would rather piss money away on that, than on something that would not benefit me through a crisis.

I'm kind of feeling the same about the deep well that we're drilling. If the 13 family members in the mountain end up in dire straights from lack of water.. they will no doubt be on my door step looking for help. If the deep well produces water then they should be able to make it though the dry periods without my help.

I hope. That's the theory anyway.

One thing for sure.. If there's no clean water to drink.. they WILL drink whatever dirty water there is. No choice about it.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 2

Paul

Traffic these days is dominated by water delivery, and charges of 350 to 500 pesos per meter are common.

You folks still have the water issues in Moalboal? Sorry to hear this. 

Per cubic meter here, water piped to a home is .50c US, typically. This is a common price throughout the country.

Irenicus

Climate change.

• Like 4

easy44

Sure 4.5 cubic isn't hard to build but that isn't going to get you through months of drought. As you scale up, it gets more expensive and more difficult.

No, but it wasn't meant for that.  Just an example of what can be done with little money.  A below ground cistern could be made much larger without much of an increase in price per square meter.  You would not have to scale up the supporting walls much when they are supported by the earth on 5 sides.  In any case, most will never have to build something big enough supply months of water without any relief.  If that's gonna be necessary then you are living in the wrong place!

• Like 2

Paul

Climate change.

Any more of this and you will be gone from this topic too. 

• Like 3

Lee

Any more of this and you will be gone from this topic too. 

And yet that was another of his worthless off topic posts, yet in a thread that should be taken very serious, without water we are all screwed.

Climate change.

• Like 2

contraman

350 to 500 pesos per meter

How many liters/Gallons to the meter ?

Paul

How many liters/Gallons to the meter ?

He's talking about a cubic meter - 1,000 liters. :P

• Like 1

to_dave007

Average annual rainfall in Cebu is 1266 mm or 49.8 inches, but skewed between wet season (June to November average about 6 inches a month) and dry season (Feb to May averaging under 2 inches a month). The problem is that the dry period this year is predicted to extend another 2 to 4 months, during which time the aquifers upon which much of Cebu depends will continue to deplete.

A nice big cloudburst in the city doesn't help much, as much of that water runs straight out to sea.

Also.. it REALLY doesn't help that so much of Cebu is so deforested, as that means more of the water runs off at the surface, rather than soaking into the ground to become part of the aquifer.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 8

oztony

While not being on Cebu , but on Negros , I can see Cebu from my front yard , and water availability from the town storage supply is becoming a big problem where we are also.

We put in well 18 months ago and have a good supply coming still from our well , it was 300 php /foot and we only had to go 60 feet .

After a fair bit of pumping the water eventually clears. We have got an electric pump hooked up to it to fill a tank on the roof. 

tubig.jpgtubig1.jpgtubig2.jpgtubig3.jpgtubig5.jpgtubig8.jpgtubig9.jpgtubig21.jpg

• Like 7

contraman

While not being on Cebu , but on Negros , I can see Cebu from my front yard , and water availability from the town storage supply is becoming a big problem where we are also.

We put in well 18 months ago and have a good supply coming still from our well , it was 300 php /foot and we only had to go 60 feet .

After a fair bit of pumping the water eventually clears. We have got an electric pump hooked up to it to fill a tank on the roof. 

attachicon.giftubig.jpgattachicon.giftubig1.jpgattachicon.giftubig2.jpgattachicon.giftubig3.jpgattachicon.giftubig5.jpgattachicon.giftubig8.jpgattachicon.giftubig9.jpgattachicon.giftubig21.jpg

How many Filipino's does it take to install a well ?  :yahoo:

• Like 2