German nabbed for travelling with minor not related to him

ubercoder

Everyone here agree that Major violated the law of this country.

We can't know if this was just an innocent ride or something more malicious.  We can only speculate.

Fact is, he was riding with non-related 14 year old(and filipina even look younger) alone going to another Island.  Any place that would look suspicious.  If a black/asian/mexican man was driving alone across state line with a little blond girl in Kansas, it would give me pause and question what I'm seeing.  Given the history and the law, I'm not sure you can blame the police or the people.  

Sure it might not be fair to foreigners, but the law is not there to be fair or just to the people who visit the Philippines.  Like most laws, it's there to protect the citizens.  If you don't think this law is justified, fair or even make sense, I'm sure Filipino people would value your input, go to the nearest police station and make a complaint.  I'm told they are wise and not at all vindictive to foreigners who criticize them.

• Like 2
  • Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tullioz

• oztony

• contraman

• SkyMan

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My wife, when reading this said, " Somebody that was jealous of the family just turned them in, because if there was no complaint, nobody would do anything, the same thing could happen to us"    And

i clicked on the article and to be fair, even if the family is meeting them at the pier the german wasn't riding the bike with the mother or father, he was riding it with the minor girl and showed up

I think you guys should all settle down and read this bit from Senior Supt. Noel Gillamac, Cebu provincial police director.   “There have been parents who, because of poverty, allowed their children

Posted Images

SkyMan

I really wish they would do some investigation though.  The police won't likely do it because they already have him dead to rights but maybe an industrious reporter could?  Check out the guy's story.  Does the guy say they were going for the day and returning?  Was the family supposed to be there with them?  When did the family actually get there?  What were the txts between the guy/girl and family?  If the family was running late on the bus there should have been txts like "where are you now? we're at the pier already."  "Do you want us to take this ferry or wait for you?"  etc.  What were the reserved accommodations on Bantayan? Two rooms? One small?  One large?  And I would check for reservations even if he said he was going for just the day.  Had he stayed there before?  With who?  At least some investigations as to his intentions would be interesting.

• Like 2
contraman

Interesting that Fr Shay Cullen is carrying this story on his preda website :(

oztony

I really wish they would do some investigation though.  

You would hope that there would more to back it up , than just the probability of intent.

• Like 4
Tullioz

I really wish they would do some investigation though.  The police won't likely do it because they already have him dead to rights but maybe an industrious reporter could?  Check out the guy's story.  Does the guy say they were going for the day and returning?  Was the family supposed to be there with them?  When did the family actually get there?  What were the txts between the guy/girl and family?  If the family was running late on the bus there should have been txts like "where are you now? we're at the pier already."  "Do you want us to take this ferry or wait for you?"  etc.  What were the reserved accommodations on Bantayan? Two rooms? One small?  One large?  And I would check for reservations even if he said he was going for just the day.  Had he stayed there before?  With who?  At least some investigations as to his intentions would be interesting.

This is exactly why the clause about being alone with a minor is written into this law. It gets the child out of immediate danger and allows time for these questions to be answered. Had it not been there, they would have been nothing to hold him on and he would have been able to board the ferry with the child. If he was in fact up to no good it would have been too little too late for the child. He may have later been arrested for assault, rape or even worse. He may have even been able to get away with it. Not saying this was the case with the man in this story, but simply showing this as an example of how this clause is used. If you do not do anything that would raise suspicion, you will never be detained for being in the presence of children in the Philippines because that act alone is not illegal.

contraman

you will never be detained for being in the presence of children in the Philippines because that act alone is not illegal.

I shall remind you of this when you are found to be in the accompany of unrelated minors

• Like 2
SkyMan

Try to board a plane out of the country with a 14 year old girl and see what questions they ask you.

Now you're getting out of the scenario you mentioned.  However, that is still not illegal but will likely require some sort of permission slip from a parent.  The main problem here would be intent.

Lee

Some of you seem to forget that while in the Philippines or any other Asian country, we stand out like a sore thumb, thus we are targeted when with an underage girl because of all the sexpats and pedo's that get arrested, thus making it bad for us good guys, unfortunately it is just a fact of life we have to deal with and be careful of.

My wife recently took the boat from Cebu City to CDO and she said upon check in they took a photo of those checking in. My guess is that the port has been alerted to report underage who are with foreigners.

I feel that ignorance of the law is no excuse but thought I would post the law in Germany, so 14 appears to be legal there, too bad the guy did not know the laws of the Philippines or did not care until he was caught being with her. I will wait for the outcome of the medical exam to see if she was a virgin or not and to see what she said in the interview about the guy, based on it being legal in Germany, my money would be on that the guy was PROBABLY with her to be with her. He claimed in one article posted already, that they were his new family, thus we must ask ourselves why he felt that way beyond trying to help them when there are so many poor in the Philippines that need help, my money would be on because they had a 14 yo daughter that he fancied. 

Germany[edit]

The age of consent in Germany is 14, as long as a person over the age of 21 does not exploit a 14–15 year-old person's lack of capacity for sexual self-determination, in which case a conviction of an individual over the age of 21 requires a complaint from the younger individual; being over 21 and engaging in sexual relations with a minor of that age does not constitute an offense in and of itself. Otherwise the age of consent is 14, although provisions protecting minors against abuse apply until the age of 18 (under Section 182(1), it is illegal to engage in sexual activity with a person under 18 "by taking advantage of an exploitative situation"[29]). Link

• Like 4
Tullioz

I shall remind you of this when you are found to be in the accompany of unrelated minors

It would have happened long before now. I have tried to explain how this clause works the best that I can, but apparently it is not making sense. It is really easy to verify that what I am saying here is true and I hope someone else will take the time to check it out and post their findings here so that this subject can finally be laid to rest.

Edited by Tullioz
towboat72

Two very sensitive subjects are always the handling of other people's money and other people's kids. If I am going to get involved in either of those, in a foreign country, I will make damn sure I am versed in the laws related to those topics. 

sure you will

Lee

They are my new family.”

Taken from THIS post

SkyMan

Have you consulted an attorney about this subject yet or are you saying I am wrong because it goes against what you believe?
I'm saying this because I read the law.  Just read the law.  Don't try to add in any of your thoughts on how it might be interpreted or that some illicit intent must be proven because the law says nothing about that.

Cebu Provincial Police Office Director Noel Gillamac said Republic Act 7610 (the Special Protection of Children against use, Exploitation and Discrimination Act) prohibits any person to be in company with a minor who is not a relative. (period) The law’s Section 10(b) states: “Any person who shall keep or have in his company a minor, 12 years or under or who in 10 years or more his junior in any public or private place, hotel, motel, beer joint, discotheque, cabaret, pension house, sauna or massage parlor, beach and/or other tourist resort or similar places shall suffer the penalty of prision mayor (six months to four years) in its maximum period and a fine of not less than P50,000.”
He doesn't say anything about what you're doing or what your intent is, just that you are prohibited to be in company with a minor not related to you.  You say you are with kids all the time.  I hope your intent is above board and that everyone who sees you assumes the same.
  • Like 4
contraman

I will wait for the outcome of the medical exam to see if she was a virgin or not and to see what she said in the interview about the guy

Unfortunately we may never hear about the outcome.

The Press are very one sided when it comes to reporting anything about foreigners.

Especially if the finding was in the foreigners favor.

How many  times have you heard  of a case such as this, but never ever hear the final outcome ?

That's why it is more fun in the Philippines :)

• Like 2

This is exactly why the clause about being alone with a minor is written into this law. It gets the child out of immediate danger and allows time for these questions to be answered. Had it not been there, they would have been nothing to hold him on and he would have been able to board the ferry with the child. If he was in fact up to no good it would have been too little too late for the child. He may have later been arrested for assault, rape or even worse. He may have even been able to get away with it. Not saying this was the case with the man in this story, but simply showing this as an example of how this clause is used. If you do not do anything that would raise suspicion, you will never be detained for being in the presence of children in the Philippines because that act alone is not illegal.

Give Up this Tullioz! :rose:

I've tried to explain this for years!

Some have reported this man for his behavior toward the girl, I think. :cool:

"They were stopped at the Hagnaya port by members of a help desk for anti-human trafficking.

• Like 2
contraman

It would have happened long before now. I have tried to explain how this clause works the best that I can, but apparently it is not making sense. It is really easy to verify that what I am saying here is true and I hope someone else will take the time to check it out and post their findings here so that this subject can finally be laid to rest.

The reason you are having such difficulty in explaining is , That few appear to believe your explanation :(

Edited by contraman
  • Like 2