German nabbed for travelling with minor not related to him

colemanlee

Greetings! If a filipino man comes to the US, is he allowed to be alone with / in a movie house / boweling ally or such with  a minor child who is not his relative?

Yes because he is the waiter..... :yahoo:

• Like 1
  • Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tullioz

• oztony

• contraman

• SkyMan

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My wife, when reading this said, " Somebody that was jealous of the family just turned them in, because if there was no complaint, nobody would do anything, the same thing could happen to us"    And

i clicked on the article and to be fair, even if the family is meeting them at the pier the german wasn't riding the bike with the mother or father, he was riding it with the minor girl and showed up

I think you guys should all settle down and read this bit from Senior Supt. Noel Gillamac, Cebu provincial police director.   “There have been parents who, because of poverty, allowed their children

Posted Images

SkyMan

The problem is that no matter what the family says in his defense, it could well be that they are merely defending him to prevent their gravy train from getting locked away in prison.  No real good way to determine the validity of their story.  It is a bit suspicious him riding her on the scooter and not the bus but there may be possible explanations for that.  Perhaps the parents left from Lapux2 while he picked her up from school. Maybe her school was well north of the NBT like in Lacion or something.  It's very difficult to get a bus north, north of the NBT.  Some in Liloan fr examaple, take a jeep to the NBT to get a bus north to Bogo, Hagnaya, or wherever.  

They seem to bust a lot of guys at the ports and piers.

Makes it easier to add the traficking charge.

Greetings! If a filipino man comes to the US, is he allowed to be alone with / in a movie house / boweling ally or such with  a minor child who is not his relative?

And this matters......how?

As to why the offended party cannot pursue criminal charges, it is on the ground of preserving family harmony and solidarity.
That went out the window with the crime so what do they think they are trying to preserve? Edited by SkyMan
ozboy

I tend to agree.....im sure if you were an Indian (EG) guy walking with your arm around a under age white girl (daughter of your new wife or partner) in OZ, either the public will have a few words or security will stop n ask a few questions.. Its a Race related issue as well.

• Like 2
contraman

You are missing one important fact

This Is Not The USA 

• Like 2
KennyF

You are missing one important fact

This Is Not The USA 

And we should all be grateful for that.

KonC

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

I use to take my best friend's young daughters to the movies in the US.

Of course that was back in the days when everyone wasn't suspicious of everything. 

I could have easily done the same thing here with my wife's nieces and/or nephews back before we were married or before I had ever heard of this law.

I'm not sure if I wasn't at one time or the other in violation of this law.

Before we (LinC members) knew about it, it could have happened to any of us.

Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 7
Cebudog

Well, at least the German was not shot several times in the back by the police because they felt "threatened".

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

Well, at least the German was not shot several times in the back by the police because they felt "threatened".

Wow we made it a whole 37 post this time before someone brought up cops shoot innocent people in the USA.   :sarcasm:

Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 6
smokey

that's a long ride; wonder if she was wearing a helmet.

if he had the well-being of the kid in mind

he should've put her in the relative safety of the bus.

well I guess you must really be mad when you see a couple with 4 little kids tied together on a bike... oh wait they are locals my bad

Wow we made it a whole 37 post this time before someone brought up cops shoot innocent people in the USA.   :sarcasm:

yep and in other places they rob you first then shot you

• Like 1
contraman

I think the police should have investigated before arresting the man.

Apparently that is not the role of the police in PI :(

Cebudog

I never mentioned a country at all.

• Administrator
Salty Dog

I never mentioned a country at all.

Touché...

But "your reputation precedes you".    :db:

Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 4
Jawny

This law is the most asinine way of protecting children. I know it is well intended. But it is so clearly intended to nab foreigners who are more likely to be noticed.

To point out the obvious, he is a white dude. My guess is the girl in question is not white and evidentlly young. Any citizen wanting to help protect children is now completely justified in reporting this fellow as a criminal.

Of course we can play games with the discussions about knowing the law. "What an idiot. He should have known better!" I totally disagree.

For crissakes, every time some thread starts here, we go off on all sort of tangents discussing our own misunderstandings, and many of us have lived here for decades.

Sadly, several posts are accusing this guy if being an idiot, as if he should have known this law existed. I don't share that view, and from the minimal description of the situation, he just got screwed.

Take the issue of the motor cycle out of this. He could have been in a van, even a bus.

I have three children going to school. I drive them to and from school frequently. I also take some cousins and neighbors on occasion. No problem.

However, there are instances when the kids have a friend who is not related to us and they need a ride. Now, those of you who want to debate the law and its intentions, if I take this unrelated kid (under age as well) along on the ride, can I be arrested?

It's not a friggin rhetorical question.

Because I live here, I don't allow myself to be in this situation. I know what it is to be a foreigner here. These sorts of headline stories is why I ask.

I agree with the idea that some sort informative brochure or other source which had common laws that foreigners need to be aware of would be helpful. Of course, some would not want to read it. Still makes sense to have it available.

These are not all laws that seem so obvious at first. For example, it is illegal to be involved in political protests of any type. You will be deported for joining a political rally. Many foreigners come from countries where freedom of speech and expression is prized, so political protest makes sense. Not here, for foreigners!! Imagine some college students protesting some sort of government policy about tuition or other educational policy. If foreign students join the protest, they are at risk of being sent home and blacklisted. Forget the college degree. "Go study somewhere else if you don't like our educational policies!" Who would report them? Could be a rival classmate or just some jerk who spots the foreigners in the midst of a protest.

I think Paul does his best to keep members aware of the pitfalls foreigners face whether here to get laid, go scuba diving, save some souls, or just enjoy the warm weather. ALL FOREIGNERS are at risk of violating laws here and being unfairly prosecuted.

• Like 6
KennyF
I have three children going to school. I drive them to and from school frequently. I also take some cousins and neighbors on occasion. No problem.

You were taking them to school.

This guy was taking a 14 year old to an island.

No one 'dobbed them in", they were stopped at an anti trafficking desk.

Regardless of what laws you are or are not familiar with YOU DO NOT TURN UP AT A FERRY WITH A 14 YEAR OLD.

KonC

Edited by KennyF
  • Like 8