German nabbed for travelling with minor not related to him

Paul

How in the world could a country enforce a law where it is illegal for an adult to be in the company of a minor who is not related to them?

This is the point you are missing. They can do whatever they wish. It's their country, not ours. That's one difference between living in a First World Country, and living in a Third World Country. It's called being at their mercy. So, if they wish to charge you with a law on their books, regardless as to how ludicrous it may seem to be in your mind, they can, and will do it.

Honestly, the best way you can prove this to me, that is - your point being valid, is to take a minor with you somewhere, preferably to an access point which will take you to another island, just you and the minor, and let me know how that goes for you. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tullioz

• oztony

• contraman

• SkyMan

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My wife, when reading this said, " Somebody that was jealous of the family just turned them in, because if there was no complaint, nobody would do anything, the same thing could happen to us"    And

i clicked on the article and to be fair, even if the family is meeting them at the pier the german wasn't riding the bike with the mother or father, he was riding it with the minor girl and showed up

I think you guys should all settle down and read this bit from Senior Supt. Noel Gillamac, Cebu provincial police director.   “There have been parents who, because of poverty, allowed their children

Posted Images

Tullioz

If her nieces or cousins or whatever who are eating pizza with you are minors, you're potentially screwed, blued, and tattooed.

If the children are related to your wife you have nothing to worry about.

Any person who shall keep or have in his company a minor, twelve (12) years or under or who is ten (10) years or more his junior in any public or private place, hotel, motel, beer joint, discotheque, cabaret, pension house, sauna or massage parlor, beach and/or other tourist resort or similar places shall suffer the penalty of prision mayor in its maximum period and a fine of not less than Fifty thousand pesos (P5O,00): Provided, That this provision shall not apply to any person who is related within the fourth degree of consanguinity or affinity or any bond recognized by law, local custom and tradition, or acts in the performance of a social, moral or legal duty.

Cipro

This is just a tool to immediately rescue a child from potentially dangerous situation without having to build a case first. It has never been used in any other way and it apparently works well.

Citation badly needed. 

If the children are related to your wife you have nothing to worry about.

Any person who shall keep or have in his company a minor, twelve (12) years or under or who is ten (10) years or more his junior in any public or private place, hotel, motel, beer joint, discotheque, cabaret, pension house, sauna or massage parlor, beach and/or other tourist resort or similar places shall suffer the penalty of prision mayor in its maximum period and a fine of not less than Fifty thousand pesos (P5O,00): Provided, That this provision shall not apply to any person who is related within the fourth degree of consanguinity or affinity or any bond recognized by law, local custom and tradition, or acts in the performance of a social, moral or legal duty.

What if you're not married yet? I guess in that case you're a criminal mastermind and must be incarcerated?

Tullioz

Honestly, the best way you can prove this to me, that is - your point being valid, is to take a minor with you somewhere, preferably to an access point which will take you to another island, just you and the minor, and let me know how that goes for you.

Of course I would be detained if I attempted to leave the island with a child. However; if someone has a valid reason and it can be backed up with documentation or undisputable proof that they have no ill intent then they would in all likelihood be allowed to proceed. In that case many people would be covered under this exclusion:

...this provision shall not apply to any person who is related within the fourth degree of consanguinity or affinity or any bond recognized by law local custom and tradition, or acts in the performance of a social, moral or legal duty,

Tullioz

What if you're not married yet? I guess in that case you're a criminal mastermind and must be incarcerated?

Still not a problem unless you are doing something to make someone think you are going to abuse the children. 

Cipro

Still not a problem unless you are doing something to make someone think you are going to abuse the children. 

Who decides this? The law is vague, so basically you're saying "whatever the police and public nearby think"; so you think that's a good way to write a law that carries this sort of penalty? This isn't a law that says the police have the right to detain the person and investigate further, it says if someone thinks you're up to something, even if you're just treating your minor daughter and her minor friends to pizza, You CAN GO TO PRISON. 

Citation badly needed, for real. How is giving a teenager a ride on a scooter to meet the rest of the family for a boat ride which will also be in public "potentially abusive" to a reasonable person?

Paul

Of course I would be detained if I attempted to leave the island with a child. However; if someone has a valid reason and it can be backed up with documentation or undisputable proof that they have no ill intent then they would in all likelihood be allowed to proceed. In that case many people would be covered under this exclusion:

...this provision shall not apply to any person who is related within the fourth degree of consanguinity or affinity or any bond recognized by law local custom and tradition, or acts in the performance of a social, moral or legal duty,

This, I know for sure. Keep yourself out of situations, by not putting yourself IN situations in the first place. 

• Like 6
Woolf

If you are arrested in the philippines, some good information found here

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/414433/Prisoner_Pack_2015.pdf

Information For British Nationals Arrested And Imprisoned  In The Philippines

• Like 1
SkyMan
You're a white guy in the Philippines, aka suspected pedo.  Just by being in the country.

One of the saddest statements I have ever read in this forum. I can not comprehend why someone would live in a country where they feel this is how people view them.

Very sad indeed.  Any time a foreigner is 'nabbed' for anything involving sex it's front page news so pretty much the public only hears about scum bag foreigners.  They are programmed to assume the worst.

Where is this guy at today? Was he released or is he still awaiting trial?

That never makes the news.  

Give a concrete example then!

As an example, a friend of mine from up in the Bogo area was detained simply for taking his 3 nieces out for ice cream which he had done many times before.  He was interrogated for several hours including by some child welfare lady.  His wife and the kids mother were there.  He finally had to tell them if this was a shake down they had the wrong guy cause he didn't have any money.  That was when they eventually released him.  I believe someone else on this board knows him as it was discussed here but I wasn't the OP.  

Anyway, this guy was very close to getting arrested for being with 3 underage girls and you would have said it was suspicious because he was alone with them and going to get ice cream so this great law did its job.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 5
oztony

There MUST be suspicion of abuse before it can be used.

Now let me guess , ah , are you an elderly white person , with a young national ,........... (and besides that you yell at my rooster that makes noise all night.)

• Like 1
Cipro

Anyway, this guy was very close to getting arrested for being with 3 underage girls and you would have said it was suspicious because he was alone with them and going to get ice cream so this great law did its job.

Well Baskin-Robbins is famous for their "buy 3 double cones, get a free dip in the underage customers" BOGO coupons, dontchaknow. 

ozboy

Tull.....look at it this way.....post a pic of yourself with a group of young kids, just innocently hanging around in public.......we word up one girl to file a complaint that you were up to some hanky panky and i can guarantee you will be behind bars that same day!! NO amount of your explanation will even be considered!

• Like 5
maximian

If you are arrested in the philippines, some good information found here

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/414433/Prisoner_Pack_2015.pdf

Information For British Nationals Arrested And Imprisoned  In The Philippines

Did you find that in the google humour section.

The ones at the embassy in Manila are a bunch of useless overpaid to faced twats, who fail British citizens. At least they are consistently good at something. Thanfully i no longer have to deal with them, as my passports and the kids have to be sent to the UK these days. Sorry of topic :db:  

oztony

That never makes the news.

Funny you should say that , there is not one thing to found online about Jonny Lagstrem since his initial arrest,

But there was a lot trumpet blowing when he was arrested , Crime reporting in the PI never seem to follow up

on anything if people are released or exonerated.

@Lance .Shukies , have you ever heard about this guy in Cebu Jail ?

Davaoeno

I previously read the law on this inside and out, and I posted much of the same legal arguments that Tullioz is arguing. However, what the law says, and how it can be-and often is - used to corruptly extort foreigners are two very different things. 

Are foreigners often seen as perverts and undesirables ? Absolutely yes ! Is that good? Of course not- but one must not ignore reality just because one finds it unacceptable. 

Of course there  are many fine filipinos who daily  interact on a desirable level with foreigners, but jealousy of people who are seen as rich, rude, arrogant ,  strict,  ignorant or unaccepting of local culture, and who love to parade their gwapa wives and gfs around while spending what many to consider to be disgusting amounts of money  inevitably leads to jealousy and a backlash  from some pinoy against not only the "bad" foreigners but rather against all foreigners. 

Maybe you are lucky enough not have have ever felt such jealousy/dislike/hatred, but many have .  And the consequences can range from a mildly  unpleasant encounter to false criminal charges and/or extortion.

This ain't Kansas [ or Vancouver or Liverpool or Frankfurt} and if you are blind to the dangers here you need to educate yourself. I am not talking about becoming paranoid about living here- i am just saying that you should always be aware of the laws, and how such laws can be used against you  [ rightly or wrongly ]  when someone finds it convenient .

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 9