German nabbed for travelling with minor not related to him

Woolf

German nabbed for travelling with minor not related to him

From Cebu Daily News     2015 May 21

A German tourist said he didn’t know that there was a law against accompanying  minors when you’re not related to them.

Herbert Major was arrested by police last Tuesday in San Remigio town, north Cebu. He was traveling with a 14-year-old girl  and was about  to board a ferry bound for Bantayan Island.

They were stopped at the Hagnaya port by members of a help desk for anti-human trafficking.

The German arrived at the wharf with the girl on a black motorcycle driven all the way from Lapu-Lapu City.

Read more here

http://cebudailynews.inquirer.net/57337/hagnaya-wharf-german-with-girl-14-nabbed

Edited by Woolf
  • Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tullioz

• oztony

• contraman

• SkyMan

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My wife, when reading this said, " Somebody that was jealous of the family just turned them in, because if there was no complaint, nobody would do anything, the same thing could happen to us"    And

i clicked on the article and to be fair, even if the family is meeting them at the pier the german wasn't riding the bike with the mother or father, he was riding it with the minor girl and showed up

I think you guys should all settle down and read this bit from Senior Supt. Noel Gillamac, Cebu provincial police director.   “There have been parents who, because of poverty, allowed their children

Posted Images

contraman

Here we go again :(

• Administrator
Salty Dog

Here we go again :(

Where are we going?    :idontknow:

• Like 1
bargeman

The same 'dirty road' that has been traveled many times before.

oztony

Just change into this bright orange jump suit and we will explain it on the way :)

• Like 2
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

My wife, when reading this said, " Somebody that was jealous of the family just turned them in, because if there was no complaint, nobody would do anything, the same thing could happen to us" 

And unfortunately that is the truth, here in our house, besides our three kids, we raise her younger siblings (parents are dead) the youngest sibling is a girl that just turned 12, I almost never go anywhere with her by herself (her and me) because Im very aware of the crab mentality here...now, we are in a small town compared to Cebu, I know lots of people I could call and fix it, but the guy in the article Im sure didnt have that capability, many who post on this forum think they are immune to this sort of thing....they just havent run into the right asshole yet...

But in your case she is a relative, which is OK.

• Like 4
ozboy

Unfortunitely it's something that has to be taken seriously......I was with my 2 grandkids sitting in the mall area, while missus shopped, when 2 uniformed women started asking questions and also questioned the kids individually........im sure if i was alone there with kids, it would feel intimidating...

• Like 9
contraman

A German tourist said he didn’t know that there was a law against accompanying  minors when you’re not related to them.

How many times must it be pointed out the "ignorance is no defense"

That's why expat forums,  even with all there faults, are a great source of information and awareness.

Unfortunately even with all this information that is available, there will be still those who know better and keep thinking that the laws of their homeland apply here :(

Edited by contraman
  • Like 9
Woolf

How many times must it be pointed out the "ignorance is no defense"

That's why expat forums,  even with all there faults, are a great source of information and awareness.

Unfortunately even with all this information that is available, there will be still those who know better and keep thinking that the laws of their homeland appy here :(

Not everybody reads forums like this one

A few years ago I often took my "granddaughter" ( 5 or 6 years old) with me when I picked up my g/f at the city hall after work

many times I came there early, so we were just sitting there outside waiting, sometimes went to get an icecream

often I was asked "who is the little girl with you" by ordinary people.

No one ever called the police

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 3
A_Simple_Man

.they just havent run into the right asshole yet.

And sometimes the asshole is a young foreign male who has the right connections and get pi$$ed off that some old guy is with a girl who looks so much younger.  If they find out the girl is actually under 18 they get an evil grin and "its on".

Of course 14 is too young. Its illegal, but we only have the news clipping to tell us how old she is so we need to look at her teeth before we convict the guy.  It doesn't matter what her teeth look like but its a formality before we throw him in the orange jump suit or ask for the bribe.

• Like 1
towboat72

everyone says well these guys should know better and that sounds all well and good but how do you know better....look on the forums find out about things like this..

a lot of people have not a clue what a forum is  or how to even get on one,and you cant know what all the laws are in a country are.who would ever think you could go to jail for doing a favor and giving a kid a ride to a ferry terminal---I sure didn't till a couple years ago

I agree you cant use the  old well I didn't know I was not to do that story but you sure got to feel sorry for him if its true

sure glad its not me

• Like 5