Is cataract surgery covered by PhilHealth?

My grandmother will be operated soon. Help is greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Jawny

My grandmother will be operated soon. Help is greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

I hope your grandmother does well. Philhealth does cover cataract surgery, but this means it provides a reduced cost. The surgeon or staff should know this as it is a pretty common surgical procedure. Good luck

• Like 1
Woolf

I just dug out the list here are all the prices at Chua Eye Center in Balibago

With Philhealth                                             Without Philhealth

Clear Non-Aspheric:                               18,000p                                                             34,000p

Clear Aspheric                                        25,000p                                                             41.000p

Yellow Aspheric                                      35,000p                                                             51,000p

BI-Focal HD Aspheric                             55,000p                                                             71,000p

Miltifocal Yellow Aspheric   (Rings)         62,000p                                                             78,000p

Multifocal HD Aspheric (Segmental)       78,000p                                                             94,000p

• Like 1
shadow

Sometimes there are free clinics for cataract surgery for the elderly. My FIL got it done for free in Bacolod last year.

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/634897/doh-philhealth-to-let-poor-patients-avail-of-free-cataract-surgery

Edited by shadow
  • Like 3
RogerDat

There was a guy on FB here who had a cataract AND lense replaced recently for I think P25000. I am no longer on the FB Cebu page, so cannot varify this, did it at PS Hospital.

• Like 1
lopburi3

Normally the cataract is the lens and it is replaced in a two step operation taking about 10 minutes - ultra-sound is used to break up the old lens and it is taken out in pieces through a small slit and the new lens is then inserted using the same slit.  I had both eyes done several months ago at a moderate/high priced private hospital here in Bangkok at cost of 35k baht each (about USD 1,100) and know it can be done for less at public hospitals and likely cheaper private hospitals - it is a world of difference in color as old lens (which I could see with one eye done for two weeks) giving a very tan/brown cast to everything.  What costs extra are special lens and normally insurance will not cover as glasses can be used to correct.  If you have far vision lens, normal, you will need reading glasses and likely lower power for good computer vision - but in most cases will not need for normal distance vision unless to correct for astigmatism issues.

I did have extra $30 expense for each eye measurement on special IR machine.

If not removed it will only get worse until blindness so when becomes uncomfortable for daily needs it should be considered time to consider.  At better than 99% success it is really quite safe.

• Like 2
TDCNINJA

I just had my left eye done with Philhealth for 78k. 94k without.

Top of the line segmented multifocal lens from Occulentis. Kind of like a trifocals that they implant. The actual lens is an LS-313 MF30.

I'm having the right eye done in July, again, with Philhealth.

• Like 2
smokey

Normally the cataract is the lens and it is replaced in a two step operation taking about 10 minutes - ultra-sound is used to break up the old lens and it is taken out in pieces through a small slit and the new lens is then inserted using the same slit.  I had both eyes done several months ago at a moderate/high priced private hospital here in Bangkok at cost of 35k baht each (about USD 1,100) and know it can be done for less at public hospitals and likely cheaper private hospitals - it is a world of difference in color as old lens (which I could see with one eye done for two weeks) giving a very tan/brown cast to everything.  What costs extra are special lens and normally insurance will not cover as glasses can be used to correct.  If you have far vision lens, normal, you will need reading glasses and likely lower power for good computer vision - but in most cases will not need for normal distance vision unless to correct for astigmatism issues.

If not removed it will only get worse until blindness so when becomes uncomfortable for daily needs it should be considered time to consider.  At better than 99% success it is really quite safe.

i thought if your the type that can see far but not close it did not work i use reading glasses now up to 250 power gets higher each year 

• Like 2
lopburi3

Should work for anyone - this is to remove and replace your lens because it is getting cloudy and blocking your vision.  Your new lens will be specific to your eye condition/size and will normally result in good far vision if you buy the cheapest and normal type.

• Like 1
TDCNINJA

The reason I chose the most expensive lens was because I didn't want to wear reading glasses for presbyopia.

I don't even need glasses now to read or use the computer.

You get what you pay for.

• Like 3
lopburi3

Actually insurance paid for mine so willing to use glasses.  There is also less chance of mistakes with the KISS principle.   But admit might have made a different choice if younger.

kiss_lips.jpg

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1

Hi lopburi3. Was LENSAR used during your cataract surgery?

I just had my left eye done with Philhealth for 78k. 94k without.

Top of the line segmented multifocal lens from Occulentis. Kind of like a trifocals that they implant. The actual lens is an LS-313 MF30.

I'm having the right eye done in July, again, with Philhealth.

Hi TDCNINJA. Was LENSAR used for your cataract surgery?

lopburi3

An MD performed the operation rather than a costly machine/tech.   :D   As my eyes are very hard to dilate believe it would have been contraindicated even if available.  Believe for most cataract procedures such equipment/training/maintenance/cost would not be justified.  Results from an experience doctor are outstanding without this added equipment.