World War II question, for other buffs?

• Admin (Retired)
broden

I've been thinking about this, what Art (Bill) posted, regarding actual hits on enemy planes, by the gunners on the Forts.

Now, I am assuming the 50 calibre guns they had on the forts were M2s? If so, let's just say, conservatively, they could fire 500 rounds per minute. There would be a hell of a lot more than 1 bullet in every 1,000 to make contact. I just do not buy those statistics. 

different statistic but look up bullets per kill for various wars... and his numbers become believable 

• Like 1
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• colemanlee

• Paul

• Cipro

• RogerDat

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought any of you that had not seen this would appreciate it  

Thought some of you might like this a couple of minutes on what it was to look out a norden bomb sight  

I think they stuck to whatever the set target was.   

lamoe

The 8th Air Force lost more `men over Europe  than the USMC did in the Pacific in WW2

The 8th Air Force  = 46,500 were either killed or wounded.

Total                     Killed           Wounded         % Killed

United States[184]Army[185]                            11,260,000           318,274           565,861            2.8

United States Air Force (included with Army)] (  3,400,000)          (88,119)           (17,360)        2.5

United States Navy                                            4,183,446             62,614              37,778         1.5

United States Marine Corps                                  669,100               24,511            68,207         3.7

very sobering statistics - no number on wounded

total           killed     % Killed

Germany Waffen SS[165] 900,000 314,000     34.9

Total          Killed   Wounded   POW     % Killed

British Empire and Commonwealth All branches  17,843,000 580,497 475,000    318,000 3.3

I've been thinking about this, what Art (Bill) posted, regarding actual hits on enemy planes, by the gunners on the Forts.

Now, I am assuming the 50 calibre guns they had on the forts were M2s? If so, let's just say, conservatively, they could fire 500 rounds per minute. There would be a hell of a lot more than 1 bullet in every 1,000 to make contact. I just do not buy those statistics. 

Very likely the ratio is not high enough - only an estimate since the Germans didn't report their being hit. 

Early versions of 17's carried only about 2,000 rounds total - later up to 3,000?  

These planes very vastly overloaded - many crashed into trees at end of runway on takeoff -

extra ammo vs bombs vs even getting into the air

http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/b17_flying_fortress.htm

The bombing raids on Germany by the 8th Air Force and the RAF’s Bomber Command, took the heart out of Germany’s industrial production. By September 1944, Germany had lost 75% of its fuel production. Out of the 1.5 million tons of bombs dropped on Germany, the B17 dropped 500,000 tons. The 8th Air Force had fired 99 million rounds of ammunition during these flights and it is thought that 20,000 German planes were destroyed. In total, over 12,000 B17’s were built in the war and nearly 250,000 Americans experienced flying in them. 46,500 were either killed or wounded. However, the part played by the B17 in the European theatre of war was of great importance.

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 1
colemanlee

Thought any of you that had not seen this would appreciate it

• Like 4
colemanlee

I found a better take on the same story..

• Like 3
colemanlee

One more...how much damage could a B17 take and get home?  This will give you some idea...if you like this, look up 92nd bomb group on you tube

Scotsbloke

OK so this is slightly OT but it's not worth its own thread but will amuse some of the WW2 buffs on here and is related to a bomber:

http://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2015-05-20/only-flying-ww2-bristol-blenheim-aircraft-soars-over-duxford/

"A restored second world war bomber was flown at the Imperial War Museum in Duxford in Cambridgeshire - ahead of the airfield's VE Day airshow over the Bank Holiday weekend.

The Bristol Blenheim aircraft was rebuilt after crash landing at Duxford in 2003 and it's the only one of its kind still flying.

The aircraft was restored by John Romain and his team who are based at Duxford.

And at the airfield on Saturday this Bristol Blenheim bomber will fly in its first display since being restored. It's part of the Imperial War Musuem's VE Day Anniversary airshow.

Ian Blair served as a gunner, navigator and also a bomb aimer on Blenheims during the war. He's 96 and lives in Huntingdon.

" I flew quite a number of hours on Blenheims pre-War and wartime - dropped a few bombs in my day and fired a few rounds at hostiles."

The article I linked to has some good pics and a nice vid but what it doesn't say (but was reported on the lunchtime news on the radio) is that said gunner actually flew a Blenheim once.  His pilot was killed on a mission and he took the controls and flew the kite 350 miles back to Blighty.  Some fecking boi.

Edited by Scotsbloke
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Cipro

I';m having trouble with the upload function, but ..... enjoy?

gallery_4748_979_58929.jpg

If someone can figure out how to coax the board into accepting the original resolution ....\

This is a P-51 and an F-16 making a slow pass in close formation - it looks pretty cool IMO. 

Edited by Cipro
  • Like 2
Cipro

gallery_4748_979_43756.jpg

Chuck Hall afterwards

RogerDat

I counted 50+ missions for that plane (bombs on fusaloge).

I thiught 25 was the magick number for going home?

Paul

I counted 50+ missions for that plane (bombs on fusaloge).

I thiught 25 was the magick number for going home?

Perhaps the 25 missions was for the crews only, not the planes? 

• Like 1
RogerDat

i did not know they lasted that long. The p[lanes. Some crews went thru several. Will GOOGLE.

• Like 1
RogerDat

GOOGLE says, 24 missioins for US, 30 for Brits. Plane type was taken into consideration, Milk runs counted 1/3 only.

Rate of loss was 24% per rate, after 25 pilots tended to avoid target (abort).

1St tour 25, year other duties, then 25 more, then home. Depended on Commander.

That bombing lasted about 3 years for us.

Paul

This is long, and might take some time to load

Wasn't too bad. I downloaded it in one minute, ten seconds. (Timed it because of your post.)

4.87 Megs, file size.

• Like 1