Sign in to follow this  
shadow

Another project nearing completion

colemanlee

Thats damn cool, congrats..

RogerDat

Buetaful lines, a classic look to it. What is the story on the design / what is the boat style called?

woodchopper

clinker build wood??

battleborn

Nice looking boat.

Topper

Is that a Boston Whaler? 

maximian

Very nice. Always nice to have a project on the go, if you live in the Philippines. Beats drinking alcohol all day and bitchin about the locals.

• Like 2

shadow

Buetaful lines, a classic look to it. What is the story on the design / what is the boat style called?

It is a "Penobscot" Jersey Skiff. The design is from the late 1800s, and was to built to enable the Jersey fishermen to get out through the surf to go fishing, and still allow four guys to carry it up onto the beach. The sail is a "Gunther Rig" which is similar to a Ketch, in that it has a two piece mast. This was a later design which made for easier trailering (the mast would lay down inside the boat).

clinker build wood??

Yes, AKA lapstrake, AKA stitch and glue.

• Like 4

RogerDat

How did it end up here? Was it built here?

shadow

How did it end up here? Was it built here?

Yes, it was built buy a friend/neighbor of mine. He is from Jersey and retired Coast Guard. It took him 5 years to build, working on it a few months per year when he was here. He decided he was moving back to the US indefinitely. He had put it in the water twice and would up on the rocks both times. Then it sat upside down for a few years, and was on the verge of going back to mother nature, so he gave it to me.

After a few months, I found a peso sized place of rot, by the time I was done digging, my wife could have easily crawled through the bottom of it (rot). After replacing some planking, the transom, the gunnels, etc., it is starting to look a bit differently.

Here is a thread I posted about it (with pics) when I got it.

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/69427-my-latest-acquisition/

The trailer I built mostly from scraps from the scrap yard.

goggleye

wow great boat    looks like a great job 

Enuff

looks great, lets go fishin

• Like 1

Bill H

Great boat Larry.  Looks like plywood hull?  I emphasize with your rot problem.  I started on a boat here once and found a small place of rot and started tearing it out.  When we were finished only half the frames remained!  LOL

• Like 1

Dublin boy

Great looking yacht

• Like 1