Sign in to follow this  
Paul

Monolithic Dome Construction Anyone?

Dome House Construction  

88 members have voted

1. 1. How likely would you be to build a home like this?

• I will definitely go with this type of construction.
    • I like this and will most likely build a dome home.
    • I'm interested in looking into this a bit further.
    • I would consider this, but not sure at this time.
    • It is doubtful that I would build a dome home.
    • I would not consider this type of construction.

miles-high

I still like the idea of a container house…

http://green.yahoo.com/blog/daily_green_news/8/twelve-amazing-shipping-container-houses.html

http://www.thedailygreen.com/green-homes/latest/shipping-container-homes-460309?link=rel&dom=yah_green&src=syn&con=art&mag=tdg

It is:

1. Inexpensive (sometimes free if you are lucky)…

2. Bullet-proof…

3. Fire-proof…

4. No permit required (I am yet to find out about Cebu)…

5. Water-proof…

6. Stackable...(the land area not wasted as the circular base would…)

7. Can be bought through SM…

8. … :)

I am looking at the mountain top site with a 360° view off Catmon… but logistics might be a problem… will see…

:as-if:

gcurious

yes, you can have straight walls 4' or even 6', then go with geodesic or dome roof..................BUT, i'm told that the straight wall portion changes the weight distribution of the building. If you wanted to have concrete walls, and wood upper, then NO problem.....but concrete domed roof would push the walls outward over time.

you can see in my octogonal building, that i used straight walls, but had wood roof.....so weight was NO problem.

i am truly an amatuer,in that i only made basic drawings. i have dimensions, and materials used and remember the process, if someone is interested.

but i agree with many, that these are very attractive, a little unique, but architecturally stronger than buildings with corners.

You mean like this Australian made dome kit home in Thailand? Worth a look at their website for dome enthusiasts, very cheap and very well made.

20070713DomeHomeProgress2W.jpg

Sunken lounge room... I imagine it would be fairly cool sitting in that hole.

20070713DomeHomeProgress6W.jpg

Stranded Shipscook

I still like the idea of a container house…

http://green.yahoo.com/blog/daily_green_news/8/twelve-amazing-shipping-container-houses.html

http://www.thedailygreen.com/green-homes/latest/shipping-container-homes-460309?link=rel&dom=yah_green&src=syn&con=art&mag=tdg

It is:

1. Inexpensive (sometimes free if you are lucky)…

2. Bullet-proof…

3. Fire-proof…

4. No permit required (I am yet to find out about Cebu)…

5. Water-proof…

6. Stackable...(the land area not wasted as the circular base would…)

7. Can be bought through SM…

8. … :)

I am looking at the mountain top site with a 360° view off Catmon… but logistics might be a problem… will see…

:as-if:

helicopter it in !

miles-high

helicopter it in !

:)

Well, there is a road for small cars like Honda Jazz, City, etc... but a container? I dont know... :)

I will drive to the site next week and see... :as-if:

Stranded Shipscook

:)

Well, there is a road for small cars like Honda Jazz, City, etc... but a container? I dont know... :)

I will drive to the site next week and see... :as-if:

Inquiring about copetr may be not a bad idea anyway. You are at the spring, mate... the army might do it for fun. ( they did a few tiems to my knowledge)

Anyway, u know where to find me, i can help a bit with transport to remote areas. We (NGO's) dothat a lot and i was surprised mysefl wahts possible.

gcurious

these geodesic home are absolutely beautiful in my opinion...........and very strong.......but unless you used chemicals/pesticides regularly, the termites and high humidity would eat them up. that was the reason i was researching cement.

You mean like this Australian made dome kit home in Thailand? Worth a look at their website for dome enthusiasts, very cheap and very well made.

20070713DomeHomeProgress2W.jpg

Sunken lounge room... I imagine it would be fairly cool sitting in that hole.

20070713DomeHomeProgress6W.jpg

Jess Bartone

A masterpice, very beautiful. The problem in Cebu is the available and suitable lumber. Lumber became so expensive here, that it is cheaper to import it from Australia.

(As done a few months ago by the Japanese when they rebuild my Resto with tropical hardwoods.)

But certainly something to look into for guys living in Mindanao, where one still can get lumber a lot cheaper.

The kit comes complete all packed up in Oz, they even give the total weight of materials for the different models, but exactly where the Oz company sources its timber asks a whole other set of questions. The shingles on the Thai assembly/construction were supplied and installed by local tradesmen.

Jess Bartone

I should add that I reckon that vast deck is a waste of space unless they intend it as a homestay style resort and the deck is where they have al fresco dining etc.

KID

We built a house similar to this for a guy near Nimbin in NSW back home...

3 interconnected domes 9 meters diameter each.

Used compacted clay dirt from his property to form the domes, steeled up and then used shotcrete to cover everything to a thickness of 150mm ( 6 inches ) he then used a small bobcat to remove most of the dirt to cover his home and grew grass on it... looked kind of cool in a hippy kind of way.... and the actual cost was pretty low ( around $50k ), crete was $105 cubic meter plus $40 to spray it ( mates rates ) mesh was about $60 per sheet and the sling lots of bar was about $100?

The interesting thing was it was cool in summer and warm in winter with a foot of dirt over it.... could be doable here.....

The only way to go imho, labor is cheap in the Philippines and these houses are mostly labor. and these homes can be be bermed with dirt to keep your home cool

here are some links, the first link has a dome home in the Philippines built with the wrong outer coating with disastrous results.

Great house, they just made a mistake with the outer coating. but still plenty of others in the Philippines using the earthbag method but they are not dome style

philippine dome

good link

building plans

green home building

build your own

Edited by KID

Jess Bartone

There is no way I would let my wife and family or myself for that matter, sleep under a roof like this. The left side of the centre dome looks like it's falling in already.

clinicT.jpg

gcurious

Jesse, i think that triple dme home is kinda COOL looking...........but you are right, maybe the local labor pool took lunch break before it dried/set.....you get what you pay for....hehehee

There is no way I would let my wife and family or myself for that matter, sleep under a roof like this. The left side of the centre dome looks like it's falling in already.

clinicT.jpg

m2m

heard of a canadian guy in cebu who uses bamboo to build geodesic domes...pretty cool. looks definitely more versatile and easier to build than this one, probably a lot cheaper not to mention eco-friendly. ;)

Cuda

heard of a canadian guy in cebu who uses bamboo to build geodesic domes...pretty cool. looks definitely more versatile and easier to build than this one, probably a lot cheaper not to mention eco-friendly. :o

Do termites and other bugs eat bamboo ?

• Like 1

Cipro
but i agree with many, that these are very attractive, a little unique, but architecturally stronger than buildings with corners.

I looked at several older geos last time I was house shopping in the pacific northwest, and honestly every single one had water leak issues and cracking drywall due to the walls flexing and moving. Tradtional homes of the same age had far fewer issues. On top of that the interior space was often oddly partitioned and somewhat unusable because of the tendency to try and fit a bunch of rectangular rooms into a round house.

Not for me.

I built an ICF instead, which was a really nice way to go but I learned a lot about what not to do on that one too.

Argentina

Great Idea , Sir