Sign in to follow this  
Paul

Monolithic Dome Construction Anyone?

Dome House Construction  

88 members have voted

1. 1. How likely would you be to build a home like this?

• I will definitely go with this type of construction.
    • I like this and will most likely build a dome home.
    • I'm interested in looking into this a bit further.
    • I would consider this, but not sure at this time.
    • It is doubtful that I would build a dome home.
    • I would not consider this type of construction.

Paul

UPDATE: February 17, 2010 - added embedded video from YouTube:

<object width="660" height="405"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="405"></embed></object>

Some recent posts on the forums has been about concrete construction, insulating characteristics, etc.

Take a look at some .pdf files I made tonight. They are webpages I converted from Monolithic.com, in hopes of giving you a bit better idea as to what I am talking about:

ecoshell_II.pdf - Introducing the EcoShell II

ecoshell_vs_monlithic_dome.pdf - The EcoShell vs. The Monolithic Dome

how_to_build_an_ecoshell.pdf - How to Build an EcoShell

xanadu.pdf - A resort in Belize (Western Caribbean)

You can download Monolithic.com's pdf.gifEcoshell Construction Manual ( 2,841k )

Ecoshell Construction link updated July 09, 2009

I just spoke with Kelly Lewis, via phone, at Monolithic. She gave me the following link to add to this thread: Ecoshells

Additional information can be found on the main site: www.Monolithic.com

Now that you have taken a bit of time to look this over, what do you think about this type of construction? Would you be willing to build a home like this, in the Philippines or elsewhere in the world? Personally, if I build a home in the Philippines, this will be it. I am considering doing that very thing.

Constructing a Monolithic Dome:

es1.gif

The EcoShell starts as a steel reinforced concrete ring foundation/floor. Vertical steel bars embedded in the ring are attached to the steel reinforcing of the dome itself.

es3.gif

After the Airform is spread and fastened to the floor it must be sealed to prevent air leakage.

es4.gif

Using blower fans, the Airform is inflated which creates the shape of the structure to be completed.

es5.gif

Next, the rebar is placed, spaced per engineering. The verticals go against the Airform and the horizontals on the outside. Additional plywood frames for doors and windows can be set against the inflated Airform. Remove from inside after the concrete is set.

Next, one inch of shotcrete is applied to the exterior of the Airform, allowed to set, then re-coated to finish. (The concrete can also be hand applied with a trowel.)

es6.gif

Remove Airform after the concrete is set. Wire brush the rebar on the inside to remove any loose material, then spray .5 to .75 inches of concrete to the inside surface.

Now that the shell is finished hang doors, windows, and vents. The EcoShell can be used as is or it may be roof-coated - preferably white to reflect heat.

177 Dome Park Place - Italy, TX 76651

Tel (972)483-7423 - Fax (972)483-6662

------------------------

HTH

Paul

Edited by Admin
added YouTube video

Dan

Google...Buckminster Fuller, inventor of the Geodesic Dome.

• Like 1

Ilovecebu

I have seen dome houses in california and arizona and i think they are nice and would be nice here. They have 2 storie ones that are nicer.

I just saw a log cabin house built going up to busay, before ayala heights, on the lefthand side.

Paul

I have to admit, I'm surprised. I thought more people would look at this considering the ease of building these units.

Mike S

I can't believe how easy it is to build one of these houses.........putting 3 30ft domes together would be ideal....a bedroom area...1 dome......kitchen, cr, and dinning....dome 2 and living room or family room....dome3...........best thing is you can complete dome 2 first and live in it while constructing the other 2.....as long as you have a kitchen..cr....and a place to sleep .......hummmmmmm has me thinking

Thanks for the info.......copied the url for future reference

Mike S

Wonder where you can get the cover to make the dome..........

fred42

Interesting although the domes look pretty small to me. Another concern is lack of insulation.

Concrete absorbs and releases heat real fast.

I have a feeling it could get as hot as an old brick pizza oven.

• Like 2

vampy_lane

My boyfriend like that kind of house to be built. I think its nice. I'm currently building my own house. The plan is not like that though, very typical two-story house.

But if ever I will get a new land/property, I'm considering that kind of construction. Not so typical here in the Philippines.

hoz

Has anyone ever took a good look at Topps? It's a concrete half dome built over bamboo lattice. I heard originally Topps was a heliport for the Osmena family. When I first visited Cebu the Osmenas had a complete dome home just downhill from Topps. Same construction technique as Topps. Everyone called it the "Spaceship".

Edited by hoz

Torestre

Its a very interesting design. But how would it look on the inside....?

Torestre

Would it be possible to make the dome using other materials instead of that balloon? Like a bamboo frame covered with plastic or something? <_<

And does the shape have to be a dome? Could I just cover my mother in laws house in plastic and spray concrete on that? I know I am simplyfying alot now. God knows I am not an engineer. Just playing with some ideas here...

fred42

This is totaly surreal!! Same kind of thing,only with sand bags and barbed wire!! With this method it seems you can have 5 /6 ft high walls before the domed roof takes shape. its obvioiusy possible to render the interior and exterior too as in picture.

http://archnet.org/library/sites/one-site.tcl?site_id=8219

Anyone know if this depth of sand would be a good heat insulator?

Torestre
This is totaly surreal!! Same kind of thing,only with sand bags and barbed wire!! With this method it seems you can have 5 /6 ft high walls before the domed roof takes shape. its obvioiusy possible to render the interior and exterior too as in picture.

http://archnet.org/library/sites/one-site.tcl?site_id=8219

Anyone know if this depth of sand would be a good heat insulator?

This was REALLY interesting....

fred42

sbgate.jpg

I have just been reading that you can also fill these bags with rice hull as it has a R-3 per inch insulation factor.

No idea if R-3 is good or not. Perhaps someone could advise.