Sign in to follow this  
Paul

You be the judge

Paul

John Martin was an older, retired Australian, and a personal friend of mine. I originally met him through another good friend and Aussie, Perry Gamsby. This would have been sometime early in 2004. Not only did I personally know John. I also had a deal going with him concerning Charcoal Reproductions, for a while.

Anyway, John fought the battle you are about to read, until his death on December 24, 2005. He was a heck of a guy to talk to. If you haven't taken time to read his story elsewhere on the internet, definitely take a little while to read it here: The John Martin Story

If the site doesn't load, here is the file: You_be_the_Judge.pdf

Your comments, if any, will be appreciated.

-----------------------

Here is a message written by Perry Gamsby, the day following John's death:

Perry Gamsby"

Date: Sun Dec 25, 2005 7:53 pm

Subject: Vale John Martin

I have just received the sad news that John Martin, 76, passed away yesterday. John was living in Compostela trying to make a living

for himself and his de-facto wife Paterna (27) and their son Johnny (3)with a diner there. John was the man falsely imprisoned on

charges of dealing in Shabu some years ago who chose to suffer six months incarceration and fight the charges than pay the bribe

demanded.

John was a likeable, intelligent and brave man who never said die, no matter how bad things became. He was proud but humble and was always on the lookout for ways to make a living rather than beg for charity.

I last emailed with John just a few days ago and he was upbeat and positive about some consulting work he was going to do next week. We discussed his plans to obtain Australian Citizenship for his son and hopefully bring him and Paterna to Australia for a better life. Even at 76 he was willing to work at whatever he could to supplement the pension he hoped to get if he made it back here.

He had made it to Australia last May to obtain the pension but lost it by returning to his wife and child and he swore he would rather

die in the Philippines next to them than leave them behind and seek sanctuary for himself in Australia.

I don;t know what is the current situation, we are trying to contact Paterna but with no success. I have only the email from Forbes

MacGregor to tell me of this tragic event but Forbes is known to me through John and others by reputation and I have no reason to

disbelieve this sad news.

I hope to set up some kind of fund to help Paterna and Johnny as best we can and any advice or suggestions would be greatly

appreciated. In the meantime there is still the Donation button in the current Newsletter if anyone would like to help out. We raised

US$160 before Christmas which John recieved and was grateful for, I would like to think we could do better than that for his widow and son. Salamat, Perry Gamsby

Edited by Admin

Alan S

I followed this closely at the time, and there was little doubt that it was a frame up.

The most likely person behind it is still a senior police officer in that area and well known for supporting similar extortion rackets. (But never appearing in person.)

samatm

Spooky - hindsight being 20/20 after he closed his deal, He should have split the country for the Gold coast, laid low, doted on his daughter, loved on elvie , fired up the barbie , and whatever else an Aussie does in retirement bliss. I hope he has hired a good screenwriter and turns his ordeal into a blockbuster.

Lee

Paul, thank you for posting that story. It was a real eye opener for me and hopefully for everyone who reads this forum. I had heard about some of this in the news, but never read the whole account. It is a sad day when people cannot trust the police or government in a country they live in and even sadder when justice is so slow, but at least the truth finally prevailed and thank God for the honesty of the judge and other people on John Martin's side who were involved.

This just confirms what I and others have always said, expats need to keep a low profile and never be flashy (not that John Martin was) or let others know about their finances. We are always considered to be rich no matter what we do and it has become obvious to me over the years, that we will probably never be able to convince the average person in the Philippines or our Filipino families otherwise and therefore we must all try to do as little as possible to reinforce those perceptions in their minds. When in Rome or in this case the Philippines, we must do as the people we live amongst do.

caloy

Tips to blend in:

1. pee on the walls (But do not be flashy with your tool)

2. "kapyot" on the jeepney (hang in the jeep)..or at least ride the jeepney

3. eat puso, fishballs, tempura, barbecue, banana cue, mani, and other street food...in the streets of cebu not in the comfort of a resto

4. learn to speak bisaya....I don't think anybody would try to frame you up if you speak the language.

5. buy your meat and veggies in Carbon and PAsil... People will know that you are in a tight budget

6. Don't be arrogant... always be friendly and smile

7. Stay in neighborhoods that are known for drugs, prostitution and crime... you are just courting trouble or at least people assume that you are in there to buy drugs or get women.

8. Be friendly with locals....you might need there help some time... Especially in the Philippines, connections are important. (Maybe the smelly neighbor is a distant relative of a powerful official...lol)

9. Know the news, the public and local officials (At least you can bluff by name-dropping)

10. When buying cars, start with a multi-cab....economical, not flashy (Right, Paul?)

11. Just like in the case, you should befriend a local lawyer.

It was good, that John got justice. It can happen to anyone, even locals. In these kind of cases, media attention can help if you are not willing to pay the extortionists. I hope that it would not happen to anyone here.

MattFromGA

As much as you need to keep a low profile here, you should keep a low profile everywhere. I hate issolated cases like this to some degree because it makes it appear there is this massive problem in the Philippines. Lets not forget the ammount of police shakedowns that happen in the USA every year. Also, the one thing you dont read too much about in the Philippines are stories like Ted Bundy and those other creapy serial killers.

smokey
As much as you need to keep a low profile here, you should keep a low profile everywhere. I hate issolated cases like this to some degree because it makes it appear there is this massive problem in the Philippines. Lets not forget the ammount of police shakedowns that happen in the USA every year. Also, the one thing you dont read too much about in the Philippines are stories like Ted Bundy and those other creapy serial killers.

come on matt this does not happen in the US ... and if you think its issolated your really wrong and this place has plently of their own ted bundys.. Last month in La Union a 29 year old guy killed a 14 year old girl and then sat down in plain view of some children and ATE her liver and was drinking her blood... when caught he said .. i was drunk i dont remember ... and i lived in the US for over 49 years and went to my share of strip clubs and worked in vegas for a while and I was never shaken down by the police... the stuff they do here is petty bullshi? plain and simple ... try coming here and calling 166 if you want to see how progressive the place is.. almost every day you see robberys and killings here and its 80% of the time a x police or x military doing the deed.. the only way to stay safe here is to stay home at night ... dont roam the streets.. dont drink ,,, dont talk to strangers and live in a guarded subdivision and even then you need some personal protection... sorry to say that is the way it is... every thing good always has a price you have to pay.. and we pay it to live here every day... would i move?? heck no but then i dont go out drinking and wandering the streets and picking up hookers so i am as safe and snug as a bug in a rug..

ckfm
come on matt this does not happen in the US ... and if you think its issolated your really wrong and this place has plently of their own ted bundys.. Last month in La Union a 29 year old guy killed a 14 year old girl and then sat down in plain view of some children and ATE her liver and was drinking her blood... when caught he said .. i was drunk i dont remember ... and i lived in the US for over 49 years and went to my share of strip clubs and worked in vegas for a while and I was never shaken down by the police... the stuff they do here is petty bullshi? plain and simple ... try coming here and calling 166 if you want to see how progressive the place is.. almost every day you see robberys and killings here and its 80% of the time a x police or x military doing the deed.. the only way to stay safe here is to stay home at night ... dont roam the streets.. dont drink ,,, dont talk to strangers and live in a guarded subdivision and even then you need some personal protection... sorry to say that is the way it is... every thing good always has a price you have to pay.. and we pay it to live here every day... would i move?? heck no but then i dont go out drinking and wandering the streets and picking up hookers so i am as safe and snug as a bug in a rug..

Paranoia?

Paul

Hi Robert,

Regarding safety here, I feel safer here than I did in the US, in a number of areas. I have said the following many times. There were places I would not go in my own home town, without a gun - during daylight hours! Here, there is no where I would not roam at night, in Cebu City.

Spolarium Street is certainly among some of the worse streets in this city. I have been on that road many times, as I have a former girlfriend who lives in Duljo. I would go there anytime, day or night, without fear.

So, while the Philippines is not Utopia, I do not find that it is that unsafe, certainly in comparison to the US.

JLG

WOW, truly and eye opener.

Angeles is a city of no angels, great to visit , get your rocks off and get the hell out

ckfm
Hi Robert,

Regarding safety here, I feel safer here than I did in the US, in a number of areas. I have said the following many times. There were places I would not go in my own home town, without a gun - during daylight hours! Here, there is no where I would not roam at night, in Cebu City.

Spolarium Street is certainly among some of the worse streets in this city. I have been on that road many times, as I have a former girlfriend who lives in Duljo. I would go there anytime, day or night, without fear.

So, while the Philippines is not Utopia, I do not find that it is that unsafe, certainly in comparison to the US.

I agree 100 %. There were 2 times in my life when somebody tried to rob me and it was both times in LA. I can run very fast, so even a big dark skinned guy with a knife was out of luck. There are many areas in the US where you cannot even park your car or drive through the area without rocks being thrown at your car.

tom_shor

I think I remember hearing someone talk about this on one of my trips there. Bad news for sure. The worst part is there is no accountability on the part of those that caused all this grief.

Sometimes things like this do happen in other countries but when it is exposed there are consequences for those involved in the fraud. Here they just walk away and are free to try again with someone else.

smokey

Paranoia?

Paranoia??? NO street of hard knocks... guess being a guest of the state of California for 2 years and a guest of the US federal government once gave me some insite to just how the other guys think.... Being Italian and growing up in Brooklyn New York gives you a certain inside to the best life has to offer and the worst often you can go from one to the other in a few days..

smokey
Hi Robert,

Well having lived in Inglewood in calif as well as just outside compton i know about bad areas and usually carried protection in these areas ... here the protection will do you no good as the guys to watch out for are the ones to protect and serve..sure there is less violence toward foreigners here but that is replaced with more scams.. to include phoney drug bust..phoney underage bull... even here no one wants to shoot the Golden goose unless its mrs.. goose

Newkum

Wow just wow, so scary, not sure what I would do...very long to read but well worth it...thanks