Considering A Solar Installation

rainymike

Ok all you tech gurus. I'm considering some solar for our home but mostly for cooling and for limited emergency power for brownouts. I know that sounds vague, but do you think these guys might be able to fill the bill? What do you think of their solutions? 

http://www.solazone.ph/

Paul

but mostly for cooling

What kind of cooling? 

and for limited emergency power for brownouts

To power what, specifically? 

Paul

Not sure about the quality of the hardware they use, because I don't recognize the brands used in their photos. However, the installations seem to be professional enough, if those are actual installations they have performed?

KennyF

If the installation is mainly for blackouts, would it be worth forgetting the solar panels and just keeping a battery bank charged via the grid?

Let's face it, in a short time frame, the grid is way cheaper.

KonC

• Like 1
rainymike

What kind of cooling? 

To power what, specifically? 

Enough to run a couple of fans and a couple lamps off batteries. Brownouts here are usually for just a couple of hours.

But on a regular basis, I'd like to use some kind of solar cooling. At minimum - the exhaust fan and vents to cool the attic area. At most (depending on costs) - that might include the interior house area as well. Probably would run this day and night.

House is a 4 bdrm bungalow type house.

KennyF

Fans are quite cheap to run, usually 50 ~ 70 watts.

KonC

• Like 1
Paul

Enough to run a couple of fans and a couple lamps off batteries. Brownouts here are usually for just a couple of hours.

But on a regular basis, I'd like to use some kind of solar cooling. At minimum - the exhaust fan and vents to cool the attic area. At most (depending on costs) - that might include the interior house area as well. Probably would run this day and night.

House is a 4 bdrm bungalow type house.

Here are some links to posts I have written. They will help you with calculations and information. However, if you need any assistance, please feel free to send me a PM.

Link #1

Link #2

Link #3

Link #4

Proper connection of batteries. Method 3 and Method 4 are the preferred ways to interconnect batteries in a solar. 

• Like 1
riklynbor

Not sure about the quality of the hardware they use, because I don't recognize the brands used in their photos. However, the installations seem to be professional enough, if those are actual installations they have performed?

You can buy most that stuff on AliExpress.

Paul

You can buy most that stuff on AliExpress.

I guess that answers my questions. :D 

riklynbor

If you do your recearch and look hard you can find good stuff on AliExpress.

I purchased plasma cutter, LED ceiling lights, submersible pump all good so far but beware the cheap copies/crap recearch your suppliers and feedback.

Rik

Paul
I purchased plasma cutter, LED ceiling lights, submersible pump all good so far but beware the cheap copies/crap recearch your suppliers and feedback.

Personally, I am one of those types who would rather purchase from well known companies, out of the US, Europe, or Oceania, when I am purchasing hardware for solar systems. The one and only exception to this is, when purchasing solar panels. The primary reason for this is, the vast majority of solar panels are now produced in China. However, in the past, some of the best ones on the planet were produced in Germany. I'm still a believer in you get what you pay for. So far, that has worked out for me quite well. 

For example: Evergreen, a well known American company that produced some good quality panels, closed their production plant a few years ago (2011, I think?), and went the way of many other companies - China bound. Hard to compete with companies when they can ship an item cheaper than you can make it. I guess China has the right idea for them, in keeping wages down to a minimum. 

Edited by Paul
rainymike

Here are some links to posts I have written. They will help you with calculations and information. However, if you need any assistance, please feel free to send me a PM.

Thx. I'm not competent to do anything myself. But this helps me sort out more clearly what I want done and what to look for.

musingloudly

Hopefully you can use this information.

I have 4 panels about 100watts charging 4 70Amph batts 

Output from batt is redirected to a inverter for 220v appliances - this drives my LED TV and Cable box the whole day and for about 6 hours at night

and to two 12v stand fans and 4 12v Lights. The lights are on the whole evening and the fans can be put on the whole day as long as you have decent sun.

Costs at about 60-80k

• Like 2
Paul

Thx. I'm not competent to do anything myself. But this helps me sort out more clearly what I want done and what to look for.

My apologies. I meant to offer the information for a reference so you could estimate your needs, to give you an idea as to what you would have to install in order to power the necessary lighting and appliances in your home. I realize that not everyone will do their own installs. Again, sorry for that. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
fordtech

If you do your recearch and look hard you can find good stuff on AliExpress.

Rik

How bad did Customs get you? Did you have to pay 12% tax?