Sign in to follow this  
Shrek484

Mlang

Shrek484

Hi all, 

Does anyone here know Mlang, my lady friend would like me to visit her there but says it is not very safe! any ideas why? she says many muslims. Not sure why they would be unsafe.

NOSOCALPINOY

SkyMan
she says many muslims. Not sure why they would be unsafe.

I don't know how she could be more specific.

Police clueless who's behind Mlang bombing

1420081295_2041675413.jpg

http://www.ndbcnews.com.ph/news/police-clueless-who-s-behind-mlang-bombing

NORTH COTABATO -- Local officials on Thursday urged the police to expedite the probe on Wednesday’s bombing in Mlang town in west of the province that left a resident dead and injured 35 others.   

Police and Army investigators are still clueless on who could have set off the improvised explosive device at the entrance of Mlang public market, causing the death of a 28-year-old villager, Christine Salo, of Barangay Bialong.   

North Cotabato Gov. Emmylou Taliño-Mendoza, chair of the multi-sectoral provincial peace and order council, condemned the bombing and branded the atrocity an "acts of barbarism" and contrary to teachings of all religions.  

The bombing was the second in Mlang in just four weeks. Still unidentified bombers blasted an IED near a billiard hall in the town center last November 23, killing three bystanders and wounding 22 others.   

“Once again, we have witnessed a barbaric by people trying to sabotage our domestic peace and development initiatives intended to improve the lives of the Muslim, Christian and lumad sectors in the province,” the governor said.   

Mendoza said the provincial health office, which is under her ministerial control, is now helping provide for the medical needs of the people injured in the latest bombing in Mlang.   

The town, home to mixed Muslim and Christian residents, is near the vast Liguasan Delta, a known lair of criminal gangs and terrorists.   

The latest bombing came after policemen arrested somewhere in the municipality one of the alleged suspect in the November 23 bombing in the area, which remained unsolved.   

Mlang’s municipal mayor, Joselito Piñol, said he is thankful to barangay officials, the local religious leaders and the town’s Muslim and Christian elders for helping facilitate the evacuation to different hospitals of the 35 people injured in Wednesday's IED attack.   

After the blast, Piñol immediately convened the town’s peace and order council as well as all village officials to help in monitoring and prevent similar incident in the future.  

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1

lazydays

I would listen to your Lady friend.

Apart from the current political unrest in that area, much of it has also been hit by adverse weather recently (Twisters) destroying large areas of crops and property.

(El Nino Year)

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/688564/twisters-ravage-homes-crops-in-parts-of-north-cotabato

It's a very rural area, not much to do unless your into that sort of thing.

Edited by lazydays

Tullioz

Hi all, 

Does anyone here know Mlang, my lady friend would like me to visit her there but says it is not very safe! any ideas why? she says many muslims. Not sure why they would be unsafe.

A persons religion as you already know does not make them or the places they live dangerous. There are some issues in that part of Mindanao, but it is relatively safe to travel there. Since she is a resident and knows the people you should be fine. I would however keep your visit short, two or three days at the most, just in case there are any people there who would want to cause you harm. In doing so they would not have the time to implement a plan.

cebulover2000

I would travel there but keep a low profile. Have you travelled to the Philippines before, been to considered unsafe areas? Basically eventhough you are a foreigner, with a low profile, people will not notice you much, try to be invisible. Don't be loud, drunk in public, demanding, look at people but not for long and move on, don't overdress etc., have transportation arranged by your friend, car with driver or just don't travel much.

Edited by cebulover2000
  • Like 1

Tullioz

Apart from the current political unrest in that area, much of it has also been hit by adverse weather recently (Twisters) destroying large areas of crops and property.

(El Nino Year)

That describes most of the planet. I certainly wouldn't let that be a deterrent in deciding where to visit. 

Davaoeno

I drove through there last month . My fiance was very nervous.    I didnt see anything dangerous, but for some reason I did have the same feeling I had when driving from Tampa to Kissimmee  when all my neighbors in Florida had warned me to make sure that I didnt let my car break down !!! haha    We were at a wedding the other day and when she told people that we had gone to Mlang and Sultan Kudarat and Maguindinao  none of them could believe that we had actually gone there.   Everyone here warns you not to go to the Muslim areas and none of them ever have.  I'm never really sure if their feelings are  correct of if mass hysteria exists  here .

This week we met with my fiances oldest friend . She and her husband are both civil engineers and have many projects in the Visayas and also in Mindanao.  They have had a problem with one contract in Kidipawan . I asked if the owner from Kidipawan was threatening to file a case against them ?  They said  no, he wasnt, but he had threatened to have his goons from Kidipawan kill them .  They took him seriously. And these are professionals in their 50's who have lived all their lives in Davao .  

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 1

SkyMan

Why don't you meet in a safer area?  CDO, Davao perhaps?

• Like 1

lazydays

That describes most of the planet. I certainly wouldn't let that be a deterrent in deciding where to visit. 

Fair point, but the most recent Twister swept thro last Sunday, so I guess it's rather a mess there right now.

easy44

I agree with Skyman. Have your girl meet you in a safer place. Even if you don't have trouble in Mlang you might be uncomfortable enough to disturb your trip. Who needs that when Davao or CDO are safe and have lots of amenities?

• Like 1

Davaoeno

Tell her to jump on the bus and meet you in Davao .  [ dont worry that the bus ride is many hours- pinoys take long bus rides all the time. Remember for the most part this is a carless society ].    You will both feel more comfortable in Davao, plus she will get a chance to spend time at the beach [ Samal Island].     And I bet the idea of going to Davao will excite her !

Salty Dog

I didnt see anything dangerous, but for some reason I did have the same feeling I had when driving from Tampa to Kissimmee  when all my neighbors in Florida had warned me to make sure that I didnt let my car break down !!! haha

Joke Lang.... :unknw:

Nangulo

I hear a lot about where NOT to go by people who haven't been there.  Tullioz and Davaoeno are spot on with their responses.  I would say, though, that if your GF is asking you not to go there to visit her, and you go there to visit her, she's going to do nothing but worry about you the whole time you're there.  This, alone, may make your visit less than pleasant.

Try a neutral location that you can both agree on, maybe even a different island.

Ask her about Siquijor.  Lovely place, very friendly people.  

Edited by Nangulo
  • Like 1

cebulover2000

You want to go there if you are serious with the girl, meet the family, get an idea of how she is, her family, how she grew up. If you meet her somewhere else, the future risk is much higher, not knowing whom you gonne marry. Life is a risk until you die.