AussieLex

Its not a scam if the driver asks for it upfront... then its up to you if you accept or not ...

• Like 5
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• contraman

• colemanlee

• Enuff

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got a taxi from South Terminal to Liloan. Driver said it would be meter plus P50. Okay why plus P50 I asked, His reply was the it was far  Isn't that what taxis are for, to go far,? I said Silence

Although most of my taxi experience is in Manila, I'm with contraman on this. I don't do the "meter plus" BS. Or flat rate at often double what the meter price would be. Before I get into a taxi I as

Lyn and I requested meter only on a trip from Cebu airport to a regular hotel we stop at in Cebu called Amigo I think in the city. Half way there he changed his mind and asked quite a bit more. Sorry

Posted Images

riklynbor

Lyn and I requested meter only on a trip from Cebu airport to a regular hotel we stop at in Cebu called Amigo I think in the city. Half way there he changed his mind and asked quite a bit more. Sorry forget how much it was but it was a large amount more than double 300 extra I seem to recall. He told us he forget to tell us. After talking to him and he did not want to change his mind I made him pull over and we got out. I started hailing another cab while he was trying to convince Lyn to pay the meter. I was telling him to get stuffed but Lyn payed him 90 I think and he left. We got a taxi and he was very nice and only asked meter. I gave him a tip.

Edited by riklynbor
  • Like 9
ex231

Although most of my taxi experience is in Manila, I'm with contraman on this. I don't do the "meter plus" BS. Or flat rate at often double what the meter price would be.

Before I get into a taxi I ask "Do you speak English?", "Do you know where X is?", "Will you use the meter?" Usually they lie about the first two. Before I get in I also tell them "Meter, not meter plus ..." . Even after all that I've had several still try the meter + BS. One guy wanted plus 200p on 20 minute trip. No! Then 100p ..  I told him to stop and I got out and left his door open. Screw them.

If the driver is good and honest I tip them well. If not they get squat.

• Like 9
oztony

If the driver is good and honest I tip them well. If not they get squat.

I can see both angles on this , the driver innocently trying to ensure it is his worthwhile , & the "kano" making sure he is not going to get ripped ,

and the difference of cultures being a barrier to a clear and complete honest understanding of each other.

The driver in an understanding way to the "kano" ; Sir , please if it is ok , as this trip is really out and beyond my area with a high risk of a vacant return

to this location , can we agree to a reasonable agreeable tip just so we are both happy with my service provided to you in getting you safely to your destination.

The Kano in an understanding way to the driver ; If you do not try to rip me off and demand an unreasonable amount of money for a tip , and if you drive safely

and we reach our destination with no incident I am sure that I will be able to provide you with a little extra than the meter to compensate for the distance away from your area.

Life does not have to be difficult , if all concerned are able to show each other a bit of understanding and tolerance , just my :twocents:

• Like 5
burnttoast

So guys, If you are Americano  expect a P50 surcharge.

How about to hell with that! But in related news a taxi driver tried probing me if was aware of the less 10 peso rollback only yesterday.

• Like 1
cebulover2000

Years ago the trip to Consolacion and Liloan demanded a premium, not so today.

He can get a return trip easily, max he has to go is SM Consolacion.

ex231

I can see both angles on this , the driver innocently trying to ensure it is his worthwhile

:ROFLMAO:

What color is the sky in your world? At least in Manila it's a blatant attempt at extracting as many pesos as they can from you. Last trip there I used a taxi about 10 - 12 times mostly short trips and none over 200p on the meter. So imo even "plus 50" is excessive. And about 50% wouldn't give us a ride because we wouldn't play the "plus" game. Even though our trips were short, not going far from where we were picked up about 50% had no clue how to get there and 25% had to make a few detours. About 70% as soon as you agree on terms and get you in the cab start with "oh sir, traffic is so heavy, can you give me 50p?" even when traffic isn't heavy. 25% were good, honest drivers and got tipped accordingly.

I would rather take a beating than deal with Manila cabbies lol

• Like 1
Davaoeno

You have never really experienced haggling with a taxi driver until you have tried to get one to take you to Smokey's house !!  not only do they want a big surcharge but they also refuse to use the air con . 

• Like 2
oztony

What color is the sky in your world?

Blue today , with just 1 little grey cloud ^^ :)  , Where as I don't agree with skulduggery on the behalf of some of the rogue operators , with Manila being the worst from my experience , is it really worth getting so agitated or wound up over a dollar or 2 ? when the request is exhorbitant , sure , 150 or 200php , but there is always the alternative of jeepney's and easy rides :) , just think , you can get to where you are going at Filipino price with no haggling , if that's what you want.

• Like 3
smokey

i agree fellow primate,,yanks get a better exchange rate 2,,end of story!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :wheel: 

wasnt that long ago i heard ... ha ha ha buy euro or buy canada the dollar is sinking .. ha ha ha ... that was in 2008

ozboy

Its bad enough getting a taxi to take you past Minglanilla towards Naga, a distance of around 10 mins....My missus absolutely will not pay the amount the driver asks for but will tip him if he takes us.....i usually am so tired after the day out, i just want to get home and will pay>>>>Within Reason......But its always ended up in a Jeepney!!!

• Like 2
smokey

You have never really experienced haggling with a taxi driver until you have tried to get one to take you to Smokey's house !!  not only do they want a big surcharge but they also refuse to use the air con . 

i pay them extra to keep the rif faf out 

• Like 3
dnl_grout

If you live there or doing the same runs 1 or 2 times every day you no the general rate and you know when there meter is ripping you.

Oh sorry sir forgot to start the meter, I just reply no worries I do this one twice a day, then we talk about some thing else happening there.

Give him the rounded up rate and depart knowing the driver thinks that one know to much.

Its not that big of deal to refuse, bail out to the next one just get on with hailing the next one before some one else does.

I'm to busy doing what I do to think about what the last taxi was like.

But I will not deal in any way with the flat rate request just cause americano, when they pull over you no its coming if they ask where you are going. It makes no difference where your going, unless they are ending shift and they will usually tell you have to transfer and he gets the transfer pulling up behind.

My priority is a taxi thats not a piece of junk because a sagging seat is just that extra on top of my long legs that screws up my back.

Some back streets are bumpy but what gets me is the wild stop and go then racing driving style. Relax 1 or 2 hundred feet from you stop thinking you out of there, hard stop, pull over, hard stop one or to more times playing the meter or quick move farther up cause fair standing there to get back in. Newer models have the seating support so you don't get tore up if your paying attention.

Sorry I almost did a windup its just a taxi ride.

• Like 3
Tullioz

I would have not had a problem with the drivers request and would have ended up giving him more. Any time I am traveling a long distance and it is clear that the driver will have to either return most of the way back without a customer or have to wait for a long period of time for one to come along I will voluntarily offer 50% of the fare in addition to what the meter shows.  

• Like 2
contraman

There is an abundence of do gooders here.

Strange, but is the same group that whinge how bad it is here.

Paying over the odds just because you are not Filipino, just makes their expectations greater.

Well i am not going to be part of this folly :yahoo:

• Like 1