• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• contraman

• Enuff

• colemanlee

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got a taxi from South Terminal to Liloan. Driver said it would be meter plus P50. Okay why plus P50 I asked, His reply was the it was far  Isn't that what taxis are for, to go far,? I said Silence

Although most of my taxi experience is in Manila, I'm with contraman on this. I don't do the "meter plus" BS. Or flat rate at often double what the meter price would be. Before I get into a taxi I as

Lyn and I requested meter only on a trip from Cebu airport to a regular hotel we stop at in Cebu called Amigo I think in the city. Half way there he changed his mind and asked quite a bit more. Sorry

Posted Images

woodchopper

i agree fellow primate,,yanks get a better exchange rate 2,,end of story!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :wheel: 

• Like 2
mactanfamily

i can see the charge. He is not going to get a hailed fare from Liloan back to Cebu. Hence he worked that distance for half price.

You must have also know that is was about a 400 peso fare. Why didnt you agree and just give the 50 as the tip? 

Extra 50 to go to SM would be a ripoff, but you not paying a buck for a one hour taxi ride? Wow....

• Like 5
lance.schukies

not a great thing to boast about " I refused to tip a taxi driver after a 1 hr trip"

I think what he was trying to do was say he wanted a tip as often ... ..... take his taxi for one hour trip and refuse to tip, in that hour there and back you made his day ... ....

• Like 4
easy44

i can see the charge. He is not going to get a hailed fare from Liloan back to Cebu. Hence he worked that distance for half price.

Not true.  SM Consolacion is on the Consolacion/Liloan border (almost) and all he has to do is get in the taxi line there to pick up a fare.  Lots of people in Liloan catching taxis to Cebu City.  I used to be one.

• Like 1
Buko Beach

I don't really look at the request as a scam. You're asking the driver to go out of his general area and on the return trip he might not get another fare. The driver makes more money with many smaller trips and uses less gas/LPG in the process.

When I take a taxi from Cebu City to Punta Engano, Cordova, Minglanilla it's a common request from taxi drivers for an additional 50php, and I willingly pay the additional.

I have witnessed a kano a time or two over the years at Ayala try to get a taxi back to Shangri-La and strike out when the request for an additional 50php comes up. Either he was unaware of how things worked in Cebu, thought it was a scam or he was Kuripot.

Either way it's only a little over a USD, so what would you have done if the driver said pay the additional or get out?

• Like 1
lance.schukies

Not true. SM Consolacion is on the Consolacion/Liloan border (almost) and all he has to do is get in the taxi line there to pick up a fare. Lots of people in Liloan catching taxis to Cebu City. I used to be one.

did you hire the above taxi? no, so you have no idea if the driver got a return fare, it not like he going to pull up to a taxi rank and ask who is going to the city.

Jawny

I take only taxis while in Cebu. If we get the taxi at a taxi stand or hotel, I pay only the meter price plus tip if driver is courteous and safe. However, if I am getting a taxi at the ferry terminal, I will willingly pay a flat rate to my destination. I know generally what fares should be, so if it should be around 100 pesos and he asks 150, I'm ok with that. If he tries for 200 or 300 I usually just walk away. I never take the hustlers which stand at the gate area.

I drove taxi for several years and for longer trips, it was a harder call to make whether to accept the trip. For example, an airport trip from the city was a good fare. But, I then either had to return empty to the area I knew well (the city) or sit in a line which can be slow. On top of that, I might not get a good trip when my turn came, so the long wait was a bust. Not such an easy decision. So, it makes sense to me to be asked for a guaranteed tip.

• Like 1
contraman

Another cheap charlie saves P50.

No such thing, you obviously didn't read the thread or fully understand it. :(

I don't really look at the request as a scam. You're asking the driver to go out of his general area and on the return trip he might not get another fare. The driver makes more money with many smaller trips and uses less gas/LPG in the process.

When I take a taxi from Cebu City to Punta Engano, Cordova, Minglanilla it's a common request from taxi drivers for an additional 50php, and I willingly pay the additional.

I have witnessed a kano a time or two over the years at Ayala try to get a taxi back to Shangri-La and strike out when the request for an additional 50php comes up. Either he was unaware of how things worked in Cebu, thought it was a scam or he was Kuripot.

Either way it's only a little over a USD, so what would you have done if the driver said pay the additional or get out?

You are so wrong,  The signage clearly states that this was a Metered cab.

It was his choice to refuse or accept the fare.

Not true.  SM Consolacion is on the Consolacion/Liloan border (almost) and all he has to do is get in the taxi line there to pick up a fare.  Lots of people in Liloan catching taxis to Cebu City.  I used to be one.

Agreed  Just did that trip this morning

You must have also know that is was about a 400 peso fare. Why didnt you agree and just give the 50 as the tip? 

Extra 50 to go to SM would be a ripoff, but you not paying a buck for a one hour taxi ride? Wow....

Because I am the one that chooses to tip or not, Not the taxi driver.

I notice not one of you picked up on the reason he gave  :You are Americano"  

Edited by contraman
  • Like 8
easy44

did you hire the above taxi? no, so you have no idea if the driver got a return fare, it not like he going to pull up to a taxi rank and ask who is going to the city.

Yeah, well you know what?  Then all he has to do is get back in line a second time and get another fare and he is even making more money that way than getting a long fare. You obviously have never tried to catch a taxi in Liloan.

woodchopper

stop picking on the silverback,,or we get all our ape mates and come down from the mountains in 8 jeepneys and getz yah all,,please gather at ayala!

• Like 3
contraman

stop picking on the silverback,,or we get all our ape mates and come down from the mountains in 8 jeepneys and getz yah all,,please gather at ayala!

Nope, Just bring it on.

It is amazing how many so far just don't grasp the context of the post :yahoo:

• Like 3
Dublin boy

I agree a tip is a tip not a demand because you are an American. So glad I'm british we get charged 100 peso on the meter ha ha

• Like 2

Another cheap charlie saves P50.

I agree, if anyone can find out who the taxi driver was I am willing to give him Php500 for his loss. Could of costed him more than 50 pesos in gas to get back to the city.