Why is my electricity usage up so much?

littlejohn

When the main switch was off the meter didn't move so unless they tapped our house that's not it.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• littlejohn

• Woolf

• A_Simple_Man

• Jawny

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Have you killed the mains breakers in the businesses, completely disconnecting ALL power from the mains, and looked at the meter to make sure it still is not running? If it is, you have a leach on you

You could install a "slave" meter like this one   http://www.lazada.com.ph/nvc-6-digit-dragon-fly-electronic-kwh-meter-2400-60hz-gray-302542.html   Put the meter on the wiring that supplies the in

Wel its night time plan to check that in the daylight.

Posted Images

Jawny

When the main switch was off the meter didn't move so unless they tapped our house that's not it.

I seem to recall a member a couple of years ago reported a similar problem. He cut off the power, and kept it off for a while so he could see if his neighbors lights went out when he shut his power off.

If I recall the story correctly, he discovered it was a open secret that when his home was built, other lines were installed underground to the neighbors. A sort of "sharing" concept. Lately we've noticed an increase in the "line loss" cost on our bills from Leyeco. I suspect this has a lot to do with the way families got power returned after superstorm Yolanda hit 18 months ago. Edited by Paul
fixed quote tag
lopburi3

Do you have a breaker box that you can check further to find what breaker being on speeds up your meter?  Then leave that breaker off and check what is not working.  Alternative is unplug and plug.  Everything unplugged or all breakers off should be the same idle meter.

Edited by lopburi3
Woolf

You could install a "slave" meter like this one

http://www.lazada.com.ph/nvc-6-digit-dragon-fly-electronic-kwh-meter-2400-60hz-gray-302542.html

Put the meter on the wiring that supplies the internet cafe

or any other way you want to separated the usage

• Like 2
A_Simple_Man

unless they tapped our house

I have seen people in very rural areas who will run an extension cord over to their neighbors house after dark to 'borrow' their electricity so they have lights, then unplug it when the sun comes up, but even if this was happening they would only be using a few hundred pesos of electric.  My plan would be to unplug or turn off everything non essential and see if I could bring my bill down. Best of luck.  Electricity is expensive.  have you considered solar to augment the grid?

littlejohn

I have tossed around the idea of solar but not sure how that would work. Also don't have the money.

We have talked about if we ever get far enough ahead we want to put in a battery backup that would last the cafe part at least 4 hours. Solar would probably be a good addition to that. Money is a big factor though.

We're thinking the next step is to try a new meter but we have to buy our own. The electric company recommended a GE-210 which is a smart meter not to crazy about that but the meter would be across the road and not near a house so probably reasonably safe.

Edited by littlejohn
Thalcoozyo

A fascinating topic, and I feel for the OP.  But I'm not seeing the OP's original issue being addressed... that being why his electric has jumped so much in 1 month's time when his habits have not been altered.

Putting in a new meter or going solar doesn't really explain the 1 month difference.

I agree... the first and foremost thing to do is to switch off the main breaker and see if the meter is still showing consumption.  Until that is done, everything else is a moot point.

Also, the OP might want to wait until next month's billing to see what it is... if back to normal usage, then it was a fluke? bad reading? unnoticed café usage?  But if next month's reading is still high with no associated change in café habits/usage, then the OP has a problem... likely illicit usage or a bad meter.

KennyF

We have talked about if we ever get far enough ahead we want to put in a battery backup that would last the cafe part at least 4 hours.

I don't know how it works where you are but here on Camiguin the internet goes down at the same time as the power.

KonC

littlejohn

Actually they seem to have a battery backup here for the net if you have one also you can have internet for a while. At one time it lasted 4 hours, I haven't checked lately but last I knew it only lasted about an hour. It could be because I have a business line and supposedly guaranteed internet, though it was down so much last month that it cost me around 5kp.

Edited by littlejohn
A_Simple_Man

I don't know how it works where you are but here on Camiguin the internet goes down at the same time as the power.

Have you tried using Globe pocket wifi.  I have not been to Camiguin but everywhere else I have been in Philippines I love brownouts for that reason.  I have my battery operated laptop and battery powered wifi and I am the only one online so the bandwidth is GREAT.

Paul

I have tossed around the idea of solar but not sure how that would work. Also don't have the money. We have talked about if we ever get far enough ahead we want to put in a battery backup that would last the cafe part at least 4 hours. Solar would probably be a good addition to that. Money is a big factor though.

What a lot of people do not realize is, unless you are going to install a grid tied system, most likely it will NOT be financially feasible to run solar. Solar is NOT cheap. 

Solar only becomes a viable solution, if / when the cost of your mains power exceeds about .50c US / kWh. 

Over the years (decades), panels have become more efficient, AND have dropped in cost. However, batteries have not. They still cost quite dearly and will have to be replaced, depending on quality / brand, every 3 to 10 years. 

If / When you are able to get the funds together, do some serious research into grid tied systems, which are beginning to be installed in the Philippines now. That will be a much better solution to your problems. 

Short term, if you are experiencing many power cuts, I would suggest going with a gen-set. 

littlejohn

That is what I had in mind while a battery backup system makes sense for our business batteries really aren't very practical its the upkeep and replacement costs that kills them. I know solar isn't generally practical at least not for a separate system. But as you said a grid tied setup might be. They really do make sense for the Philippines as the big demand time is when the sun is out and its hot. Well that and perhaps after dark for a while but I think solar really should be a bigger percentage of the system here.

It could reduce the peak load and diffuse infrastructure, maybe they wouldn't need to run the diesel generators as much. If I'm not mistaken I think the peak load is usually from business running aircon from noon till in the evening, a lot of those close at 5pm though. I doubt it will be practical for selling back to the mains any time soon but just enough to negate your load when the sun is hot probably is.

If you want to look at something really interesting check out the new fuel cells. But they wont be commonly available for another 2-5 years and still will cost a good chunk.

http://www.dailytech.com/Microsofts+New+Fuel+Cell+Partner+is+Ready+to+Blow+Away+the+Bloom+Box/article36118.htm

http://www.redoxpowersystems.com/

Edited by littlejohn
littlejohn

After talking to more people it seems this is a general thing for most. When my wife was paying the bill someone was telling her his bill is usually 300p but this month its suddenly 900p. Another friend said his went up drastically also.

So how can the electric company make the meters for the general public show higher use all of a sudden? The rate didn't change much as I stated before. something fishy going on here to show higher use rates generally. Its not just in our town but the whole area.

We barely broke even this month mostly because my measured use stayed nearly the same even though business is down over half in the internet cafe and most of the boarders are gone.

smokey

my bills last 4 months... 11,000    13,000   12,000  19,000   general numbers it really shot up this last month  and we have a new meter installed march 23

Edited by smokey
littlejohn

You had the meter installed before or after the last reading?