Why is my electricity usage up so much?

littlejohn

We have an internet cafe and boarding house and assumed the internet cafe was using most of our power as it cost us 16k last month and 15.5k this month however our bussiness is down 60% this month since the college is closed and we have hardly any boarders.

Not only that we bought some newer more efficient computers the middel of last month.

I cant think of any huge electricity usage here in the house were not useing as much as our old place and it cost us 3-5k a month without the bussiness. Its got me scratching my head.

That isnt the kicker though my friend in the next town over that we bought out his cafe computers (he closed losing money). His electric bill went UP! going from over 20 computers to about 5 and his bill went UP!

I checked the rate and it went up a little but not much. 9.45p/KH this month and 9.3p/KH last month.

I think the quality of the electricity may have degraded less than a year ago and that my be a contributor.

How much we use in the building seems to have little to do with what the meter says.

Really got us scratching our heads here.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• littlejohn

• Woolf

• Paul

• A_Simple_Man

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Have you killed the mains breakers in the businesses, completely disconnecting ALL power from the mains, and looked at the meter to make sure it still is not running? If it is, you have a leach on you

You could install a "slave" meter like this one   http://www.lazada.com.ph/nvc-6-digit-dragon-fly-electronic-kwh-meter-2400-60hz-gray-302542.html   Put the meter on the wiring that supplies the in

Wel its night time plan to check that in the daylight.

Posted Images

Paul

Have you killed the mains breakers in the businesses, completely disconnecting ALL power from the mains, and looked at the meter to make sure it still is not running? If it is, you have a leach on your side of the power meter.

• Like 4
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

perhaps some friendly neighbor is borrowing a cup of sugar

A_Simple_Man

When did they read the meter?  I ask because last year, during Easter week, the meter reader did not come.  When he eventually read it, the bill was for an extra week and the amount was about 25 to 30% higher than normal.

So was your bill for more than the normal interval?

littlejohn

Period covered ie. meter read

April 3/24-4/23        15545/30=518p per day

March 2/22-3/24     16032/30=534p per day

Edited: wrong number of days.

Edited by littlejohn
Woolf

Do you run any aircon ?

Woolf

I count the days to be the same  30 days,  there was only 28 days in feb

littlejohn

I count the days to be the same  30 days,  there was only 28 days in feb

Oops!

And no we dont have any aircon connected costs to much to run.

Edited by littlejohn
Paul

Have you killed the mains breakers in the businesses, completely disconnecting ALL power from the mains, and looked at the meter to make sure it still is not running? If it is, you have a leach on your side of the power meter.

You still haven't answered the above question. Have you attempted this? ^^^

littlejohn

You still haven't answered the above question. Have you attempted this? ^^^

Wel its night time plan to check that in the daylight.

• Like 1
miles-high

This is the first thing you should do – it is so easy to find out if anyone is tapping on you, if there is any meter malfunction or if any electronic/electric leakage exists.

Once above test is done, it would not be easy to identify/rectify the cause and you should have a professional look into it (particularly it is 220v here). It’s rather complicated in NCR – don’t know how it is in your area.

1.jpg

If all negative, then start isolating some appliances – I use the switched extension cord to turn off some appliances to prevent any drain, e.g., TV, printers, etc., etc. nice to see those fancy colorful LED’s at night but it drains electricity…

2.jpg

As the Filipino Jeepney drivers would tell you “every drop counts”! :D

Someone mentioned about A/C – I changed my 2hp units to the inverter type 2hp units – ever since, I am paying at least 50% less than before – I keep it on more or less 24/7 so the savings are enormous… Also, change your incandescent, electroluminescent or fluorescent lights to LED lighting… HD’s to SSD’s ;), don’t keep the charger on your CP all night, turn it off when charged 100% (solar chargers very inexpensive), etc., etc.

• Like 1

Are the computers on power saving mode. They are using 250 watts each 24/7 if not. That is 5kw for 20 computers. That is 4 small ac units.

littlejohn

We only keep a few extra coputers on for customers coming in the rest are turned off. At night the breaker goes off after any updates though that can take all night sometimes.

Jawny

I have had a few instances where a set of wires became shorted in a switch box or plug box (the standard boxes in household wiring). In each instance, the wires eventually burned through, but there had been no prior indication of a problem. I would have hoped the circuit breaker would have tripped, but they must not be set for this sort of short circuit. Aside from the obvious risk of fire, this meant I was paying for the electrical consumption of a shorted circuit.

I also had a ceiling fan get a string entangled in the fan blades. This most likely occurred when superstorm Yolanda passed through. We had assumed the fan had somehow become damaged, or the wiring to the fan from the storm conditions. So, it didn't concern us that the fan was inoperative. Eventually we replaced the fan, and that is when we discovered the fan had been on with the motor finally burning out. Again, the electrical consumption would have been significant.

Point of this is that there can be a variety of conditions which can lead to higher electrical consumption. If you can locate a skilled electrician to examine your circuits, I'd do that.

lopburi3

Normal high usage would be air conditioners but as you do not provide that suspect you may have people using electric cookers - if not someone taped into your electric.

Taping in is not unusual - at Clark part of the town ran off of US Government electric base power in the 80's and it is still common occurrence between homes (electric is not cheap and everyone needs it).