Sign in to follow this  
exploringlife2

Sending money to girlfriend in Philippines

exploringlife2

I have the basic same question. Do I get my GF to open an account in the Philippines so I can wire money to buy a car when I return? Is there any tax liability to her receiving money from me? Then can we get a cashier check to purchase the car?  I have wired money to China to purchase cabinets and it was not cheap. If I remember correctly it cost me $26. So wiring small amounts of money would not be cost effective from my past experience. For monthly money I gave her an ATM card tied to a savings account which I can transfer money online to this savings account and she can get at any ATM. She cannot take more money than their is in the account.

sjp

You can send it through your bank  to her bank. Cost me $30 to send $3000 dollars once.

• Like 1

cebulover2000

It's $30 at least each side of the transaction,

• Like 1

miles-high

If she has a PNB (Philippine National Bank) account, it would be easier or cheaper (see promo) depending on your location, bank, etc.

https://www.pnbwebremit.com/

• Like 1

ILoveCyrus

Don't do it. Don't do it...... Unless u trust her.

Lol

• Like 2

Ozepete

GF and sending money usually don't go together with good outcomes!!!

Use a USA credit or debit card in YOUR name, then extract the funds needed when YOU are there in Cebu.

Edited by Ozepete

Jester

The PNB remit service sends money to a PNB account?

Wolfpack

I have the basic same question. Do I get my GF to open an account in the Philippines so I can wire money to buy a car when I return?

when buying a car...I suggest wiring money directly to the car dealership...that is what I did...

and cars are something that can be in your name...unless it is being used for commercial use...like a multicab  (Jeepney) than needs a franchise...as the franchise can only be in a Philippine persons name...

• Like 1

Enuff

Western union charges $6 to wire $3000. Then deposit it in a dollar account or convert to pesos then deposit into peso account.

Edited by bigmook
  • Like 2

Baywak

Why not just transfer the money when you get back to the Philippines?

Edited by Baywak
  • Like 1

Davaoeno

It's $30 at least each side of the transaction,

My last transfer was $168,000 sent swift bank to bank.   $35 fee at my end and $5 fee from BDO at the other end.

• Like 1

jtmwatchbiz

My last transfer was $168,000 sent swift bank to bank.   $35 fee at my end and $5 fee from BDO at the other end.

yes i agree that bank to bank is the most efficient and cost effective manner for large amounts like the OP's impending car purchase. 

for us it usually takes 2 to 4 business days for the money to hit our BDO account.

• Like 2

ozboy

Bank to bank, even though a few days wait.......Our bank Westpac in Oz>>>>>>Wells Fargo (US)>>>>>>RCBC

I do not get over paranoid about it costs or does'nt cost a few extra $$$ in fees....as long as i get my money and its all done on-line in 10 mins...

• Like 2

darrener

How do you guys find the exchange rates when transferring bank to bank......??

I transferred money to my Philippine BDO account using Western Union and found it to be far cheaper than bank to bank due to lower transaction fee and better exchange rate......

• Like 1

jtmwatchbiz

How do you guys find the exchange rates when transferring bank to bank......??

I transferred money to my Philippine BDO account using Western Union and found it to be far cheaper than bank to bank due to lower transaction fee and better exchange rate......

good question, and it may make a difference on large transactions but i think western union has a cap on the size of transfers, so bank wire may be the only options for big amounts?