studying in Cebu - 17 year old male high school graduate from Canada

Headshot

There are four internationally ranked universities in the Philippines. They aren't ranked high...but they ARE ranked. All are in the Manila area.

University of the Philippines, Dilliman

Ateneo de Manila

LaSalle University Manila

University de San Tomas

Those are pretty much the only universities that I would consider in the Philippines. Then again, unless you will be living in the immediate proximity to one of these schools, it won't be much different than having your son in another country. Given the choice between schools in North America and schools in the Philippines, I would choose schools in North America every time. Your son can still come here when school is out for the summer. School here are a lot cheaper than schools in North America, but then you get what you pay for. I wouldn't skimp on my child's education.

You should also consider that if your son doesn't speak at least Tagalog and one other Philippine language (in addition to English), he will always feel like an outsider (because he will be). Filipino students go to university here to make contacts for later in life (for life IN the Philippines). Unless your son is planning to make his life IN the Philippines, then there aren't a lot of advantages to going to school here.

• Like 1
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cebulover2000

• Skywalker

• Davaoeno

• Jawny

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wouldn't he rather study, and get a recognised degree, in Canada?

well, since you asked so nicely .........   do you have the slightest idea how big Canada is ? Are you willing to move anywhere in the Country if I tell you to ?  How sure are you that Canada will a

First I wonder if he will make it thru his first year without getting sidetracked by  the girls who will love a foreigners son ... whippy ... lets get married right away

rainymike

Hmmm ... at his age, I think it probably should be up to the son to make the call. I think at his age, he probably would have lots of issues if the parents dragged him halfway around the world against his will.

Skywalker

OOps !!!  as you were !

And that is what a Canadian education gets you!   :ROFLMAO:  :morn:

• Like 1
Skywalker

can i have a butler now, pretty please ...............

Yes you can.  You have passed the quality control.

And you can see why Ian doesn't have a butler.  :cooking:

• Like 1
Skywalker

Hmmm ... at his age, I think it probably should be up to the son to make the call. I think at his age, he probably would have lots of issues if the parents dragged him halfway around the world against his will.

Exactly, and who knows, maybe he is looking forward to the cultural experience of endless beauty pageants, and dancing and prancing and learning by rote.   :wave:

• Like 1
Jawny

The suggestion of attending some of the first rate colleges is great. However, it is not necessarily easily done. These good schools are good, in part, because they are selective in admitting students. I only know for sure of the UP requirements which is to pass a fairly rigorous entrance exam. Failing does not eliminate the possibility of entering, but does create a new set of obstacles to admission. As to the other top ranked schools, I would guess they also have strict admission requirements.

http://www.admu.edu.ph/sites/default/files/Guidelines%20for%20Foreign%20Freshmen.pdf

http://usc.edu.ph/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Intl-Students-Section-Update.pdf

Edited by Jawny
cebulover2000

He will finish high school next year in Canada. I thought that a 2 year study in a foreign country will give him some lfe experience. After that he can go back to Canada if he wants. Do you know how expensive studying in Canada is?

Edited by cebulover2000
SkyMan

You haven't mentioned course of study.  Our church has a lot of Nigerian medical students who go to SouthWestern.  I'm pretty sure none of them know a lick of Tagalog.

Do you know how expensive studying in Canada is?
You get what you pay for.
Jawny

Good luck with such a plan. It may be a bit of a challenge. Not sure if this applies to foreign students, but a portion of the college curricula is Filipino language.

If there was a practical way I could do it, I would have my children attend college anywhere but here. I envy your opportunity to have your child attend college in Canada.

You'll need to be sure his coursework here can be applied to a course of study back in Canada. It seems that it is common that the first couple of years here are very similar to what was studied in high school. By the third year, the courses get specific to the declared major. At least that is what I have found out for my child just starting college in Cebu this year.

Davaoeno

. I taught at several Canadian universities and colleges as well as in grade schools  . Imho a filipino high school education is about the equivalent of a grade 9 education in Canada [ altho of course you dont learn to dance in Canada!]     I would hold out little hope for him doing 2 years of university in Cebu and then transferring to a Canadian university - unless it was an absolutely top Cebu school.

You forgot to mention if he is a top honour student in Canada- or someone just getting by . It makes a huge difference

Costs and due dates at UBC [ and this is far from the most expensive university in Canada]

Get a financial picture of the year ahead with a timeline of when tuition and housing fees are due each academic year. Fees listed are approximate.

Tuition, textbooks, and fees are program specific.

. View an overview of residence fees online. $800   When you accept your residence offer, select your meal plan type and pay your first meal plan instalment. $1,300 June 1, 2014 onward If you are an international student, your temporary iMED medical insurance fee $250 for Canadian citizens and permanent residents. $500 for students on a study permit August 1, 2014 onward Once you have registered for classes, you can begin to buy your textbooks. $500 to $2,000 September 5, 2014 Term 1 tuition fees are due  . $4,900 to $7,800 for Canadian citizens and permanent residents [1] $26,400 to $33,680 for students on study permits [1] September 5, 2014 Winter Session student fees are due. $400 to $900 for the year September 26, 2014 Second residence and meal plan fee instalment is due. $3,248 to $4,849 (range based on room and meal type)

Third residence and meal plan fee instalment is due. $2,621 to $3,448  (range based on room and meal plan type) January 7, 2015 Term 2 tuition fees are due. The second instalment covers tuition for Term 2 courses and the second half of two-term courses. Visit the UBC Calendar for more details. See tuition amounts listed for September 5, 2014.

[1] For undergraduate programs only. Amounts are for the full Winter Session, and payments are made per term on a per-credit basis. Visit the Student Service Centre and click “Financial Summary” for your specific fees.

Edited by Davaoeno
Davaoeno

My oldest son goes to UBC, I know the fees :wheel:

I simply answered your question   [   Do you know how expensive studying in Canada is?  }      

maximian

There are four internationally ranked universities in the Philippines. They aren't ranked high...but they ARE ranked. All are in the Manila area.

University of the Philippines, Dilliman

Ateneo de Manila

LaSalle University Manila

University de San Tomas

You may find that University of the Philippines, Los Banos, has a higher ranking in certain subjects and its not in Manila.

Plenty of non tagalog speaking pupils at UP and the other Uni's you mentioned.

miles-high

I thought that a 2 year study in a foreign country will give him some lfe experience.

I would give him such an opportunity once he is well established in a Canadian or US university, after a year or two, and eligible to return to the school... In fact, why not fly him in during his school holidays instead? I know many well-to-do Filipino families send their sons and daughters to foreign universities and fly them back during recess to keep them current on Tagalog and/or Visayan... You can do the opposite exposing him to Filipino culture/language during his holidays...

• Like 1
cebulover2000

I would give him such an opportunity once he is well established in a Canadian or US university, after a year or two, and eligible to return to the school... In fact, why not fly him in during his school holidays instead? I know many well-to-do Filipino families send their sons and daughters to foreign universities and fly them back during recess to keep them current on Tagalog and/or Visayan... You can do the opposite exposing him to Filipino culture/language during his holidays...

Good idea, I already did this some time ago, both my older sons sure enjoyed the gaming in Internet caffees. As to attention, it can get too much, if old farts like us get a lot of attention, imagine what happens to a 17 year old? He is already getting annoyed by a lot of facebook requests where he gets tagged by Filipino girls he doesn't even know.

That's why I came up with the idea of studying.