studying in Cebu - 17 year old male high school graduate from Canada

cebulover2000

We may be moving permanently and I may bring my then 17 year old son with me who will graduate from high school in 2016 in Canada. Any advice? Which colleges/universities would you recommend, concerns, advice etc.?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Skywalker

• Davaoeno

• cebulover2000

• Jawny

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wouldn't he rather study, and get a recognised degree, in Canada?

well, since you asked so nicely .........   do you have the slightest idea how big Canada is ? Are you willing to move anywhere in the Country if I tell you to ?  How sure are you that Canada will a

First I wonder if he will make it thru his first year without getting sidetracked by  the girls who will love a foreigners son ... whippy ... lets get married right away

Skywalker

Wouldn't he rather study, and get a recognised degree, in Canada?

• Like 1
Jawny

My child will begin college this year, in Cebu. If I had the choice of Cebu or Canada, I would choose Canada. As far as the process, it varies from school to school, but most of the universities have loads of information online to assist. The process so far that we've experienced is that each school has its own entrance exam. This is typically accompanied with an interview, but only if the exam is passed. The actual enrollment is simple. Pay fees, buy uniforms, stand in line, go to class. Choosing a school (assuming the exam's passed) will depend upon field of study and such, the same as other countries. The only "universal" exam we learned of is one offered by the Univsersity of the Philippines. That is, one exam, several campuses. However, the choice has to be made at the time of the exam. For example, first two choices and then UP chooses where the child ends up. Not like taking an SAT or such in N America.

There are other members who have children in college in Cebu or recently graduated.

Davaoeno

give me an answer

well, since you asked so nicely .........

do you have the slightest idea how big Canada is ? Are you willing to move anywhere in the Country if I tell you to ?  How sure are you that Canada will accept his past grades?   Your question is very much like asking how long is a piece of string !

• Like 1
Borinquen

We may be moving permanently and I may bring my then 17 year old son with me who will graduate from high school in 2016 in Canada. Any advice? Which colleges/universities would you recommend, concerns, advice etc.?

The only school I would send my children in this country would probably be University of the Philippines. I knew a guy who finished his 4 year Air Force active duty assignment and used his education benefits at UP Diliman in Manila, he told me credits transferred over to the University of Maryland fairly easily when he finished his last year Bachelors at UM. If they have a UP satellite campus in Cebu, maybe that would work.

smokey

First I wonder if he will make it thru his first year without getting sidetracked by  the girls who will love a foreigners son ... whippy ... lets get married right away

• Like 1
Davaoeno

The only school I would send my children in this country would probably be University of the Philippines

As of yet they dont have a Canadian campus ! 

Skywalker

Isn't the kid graduating HS in Canada, and then coming to University here?

That's my take from the topic title.

Athena

Davy ………. I lost you …………. 

My understanding of the OP was his 17 yo son will finished secondary school in Canada and will be taking further studies in Cebu and is asking recommendation for suitable colleges.  Did I get it wrong???????  And how the hell is it about Canadian schools???????????  On second thought, you might be correct, I have to read it twice to understand it – the OP wasn’t very concise, like lawyersk like ……………..   :rolleyes:

Anyway, to the OP my suggestion is also UP.  But bear in mind that most UP campuses has their own field of studies.  It might turns out that you sons choice of subject is not offered in Cebu Campus but in other campuses in Luzon.  It would be wise checking the UP courses before coming over to Cebu.

Athena

wow, great minds think alike ............  can i have a butler now, pretty please ...............  :biggrin_01:

• Like 1
SkyMan

I don't always read all posts in a thread before replying but I pretty much always read the OP.

OP, does your son want to come here for school?  I know if I graduated HS in the west I'd be pretty disappointed with universities here and not just with the quality of education.  From what I've seen the curricula are very structured with few elective choices. I imagine he's used to the idea of picking classes to meet his needs.  I had a gf in one of the universities here and out of curiosity looked up their EE program to see how it compared to mine and I was really shocked at how few actual engineering classes were included and I think there were maybe 2 electives in the senior year.  Some of the classes were on par with repairing electrical appliances as well.  Anyway, I imagine if comes here to study he'll learn a lot but it will be more cultural and relational than academic.

• Like 1
Thalcoozyo

Having put a niece thru college in Cebu, and am now putting a second one thru a college in Cebu... if the OP is wanting input on Phils vs Canada... then my vote is send the kid to a Canadian school. It'll be a better education (but not as cheap); he won't be the only kid with parents not immediately around to monitor his every move.

Davaoeno

OOps !!!  as you were !

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 1
miles-high

If he wants to pursue a professional career (MD, law, engineer, architect, etc.), most professions in the Philippines are limited to the Filipino citizens, no foreigners or permanent residents can engage in the profession (with very limited exceptions). Accordingly, his choice would be either McGill University in Montreal or the UT in Toronto if med or legal career is chosen. Of course, if he could go to Harvard, Yale, Georgetown Law Center, Stanford, U of Michigan, the better...

If he is a citizen and fluent in Tagalog and wants to pursue a legal career in the Philippines, Ateneo is the school he should go to from its undergrad to law school. The graduates are top "earning" lawyers in the Philippines, bar none... Probably more legal scholars graduate from UP... :D

If he wants aviation career, then I would send him to one of the top universities (e.g., Univ of North Dakota) in the US or any US schools where he could get both FAA and EU licenses. If he is a US citizen, the AF or Naval Academy would be a possibility...

These are the only areas of study I know... I don't even know which univ the best for EE, Skyman, haha :D Purdue? ;)