BossHog

Is the adaptation of the k-12 system still on track?

anyone know?

any updates?

Edited by BossHog
Wolfpack

I have been told that the Public Schools are now the same in the Philippines as the states...meaning, 12 years of elementary school plus kindergarten...

• Like 1
BossHog

thanks.

but the question I'm asking is when it goes into effect.

Edited by BossHog
BossHog

I think the 'implementation status' and 'full migration' are still not due until 2016 or 2017.

so, they're adding a junior year next year and a senior year in 2017?

grades 11 and 12 and these two years will be called senior high school.

Does that sound right?

Edited by BossHog
BossHog

been reading up on it and found this gem:

• The Philippines is the last country in Asia and one of only three countries worldwide (the other two being Angola and Djibouti) with a 10-year pre-university cycle.
  • Like 2
Wolfpack

I think the 'implementation status' and 'full migration' are still not due until 2016 or 2017.

so, they're adding a junior year next year and a senior year in 2017?

grades 11 and 12 and these two years will be called senior high school.

Does that sound right?

my kids are younger, my oldest is entering 2nd grade...I was told he will experience a K-12 education...

they way they are dealing with the added 11th and 12th to the system...I was under the impression it was already implemented for the 2015-16 school year...I could be wrong...but that is my understanding...

Jawny

This school year ended with graduating class "Batch 2015". There will be no graduating class for two more years. Students entering high school start in seventh grade, ending in twelfth. No more "first year, second year etc" ending as "fourth year".

• Like 2
SkyMan
Is the adaptation of the k-12 system still on track?

'Still' implies it was on track at one time.

2 more years of dancing is what they need for sure.  I thought the original plan was to add 2 years of pre-kindergarten or some other nonsense.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1
Jawny

'Still' implies it was on track at one time.

2 more years of dancing is what they need for sure.  I thought the original plan was to add 2 years of pre-kindergarten or some other nonsense.

I do know about the high school end of the K-12 which changed the high school period from four to six years. I think there are associated names for each portion of the grades, like grades 11 and 12 are "senior high school" or something similar. Basically, it is two more years. It will be interesting to see how this will affect the children and the way the courses are distributed now. I had a child graduate this year and have two others in high school now. These two will have the additional two years.

What I believe (haven't checked the details as I don't have kindergarten aged children now) is that kindergarten is mandatory, no exceptions (?) and is followed by grade one through six as elementary education. In the past, kids may have started at younger ages and taken kinder one, followed by kinder two, followed by grade one. Now it is just a single year of kindergarten.

Others with younger kids can correct this if I have it wrong.

BTW, the dancing continues into college. One of my children has a PE class of "Rhythmic Dancing" for the first semester of college.

• 3 weeks later...
BossHog

Just an update on the news as it applies on the local level trickles out....

I was told that at the 'Brigada' (summer preparation for the coming school year) meeting today the new senior high track options for our village were announced:

1.Dressmaking

2. Cooking

3. Repair of consumer electronics.

Of course, this won't go into effect until 2016.

• Like 1
rfm010

so you're daughter's going to be a dressmaker?  nothing wrong with that i'm sure but my previous advice stands.

angbumabasa

We delayed our departure from the US until our second son could graduate from High School there. We wanted to avoid this mess. Thankful we did. 

Scotsbloke

I was told that at the 'Brigada' (summer preparation for the coming school year) meeting today the new senior high track options for our village were announced:

1.Dressmaking

2. Cooking

3. Repair of consumer electronics.

Of course, this won't go into effect until 2016.

Hoggy, are these options within a broader academic programme or are these the only thing on offer?