Sign in to follow this  
goggleye

How do you dry fish?

goggleye

Believe it or not I love fried dry fish for breakfast  -  there is an abundance of sardine  - baitfish down here in the Keys where I live and I have 4 cast nets.     

Anyone have any experience of how to dry fish ?   do you add salt? or just lay on a screen and dry ?   would appreciate any help you can give me 

• Like 1

riklynbor

I done it before with local whiting in Australia.

So jummy jummy jummy they did not last long lol ate them like chips.

We cleaned and scaled them realy well then cut them the usual way in a butterfly method and rubbed salt all over them.

Then find a sunny spot and just air dry them.

We used flyscreen to keep the flies away and brought them inside at night.

We also did some when it was cooler behind window glass in the sun.

Don't try this in cooler climates as it would take too long and the fish would go bad.

You can buy electric air driers as well which do a good job.

• Like 3

RogerDat

Greetings! In Deleware, my wife would fish, and fix the catch much as first reply, but, our gas stove was old and had a pilot light in the oven. She dried the fish in there, I never smelled a thing, and no additional cost as pilot was always on anyway.

riklynbor

If you put them outside in the sun on a table or alike I would recomend you put the table legs in containers with water in them to stop ants etc climbing up taking a share :-)

• Like 1

Fender rules

Here (cebu)... they put the fish in a mixture of salt and sea water and let them sit for 8 hours, then put them in the sun until they are obviously well dried. 

That's how they do the small sardines that you see in every market.

• Like 2

angbumabasa

Here (cebu)... they put the fish in a mixture of salt and sea water and let them sit for 8 hours, then put them in the sun until they are obviously well dried. 

That's how they do the small sardines that you see in every market.

That's how they do it here. Except they put ice in the sea water container if they have it. In town they do have ice but here no.

mikewright

Wife makes some of the best dried fish I've ever tasted using small yellowtail.  She butterflies the fish, de-guts them, soaks them in a brine made from vinegar, a lot of salt, and crushed garlic. Then puts them on a flat rack on the clothesline to dry in the sun on a hot day, turning once. Not dried to a crisp, though.

Then fried, and served with a sauce of vinegar and crushed chillies.

First time I was given dried fish and rice for breakfast, thought to myself, "This ain't Weet-Bix". A week later, was asking for more fish, less Weet-Bix.

• Like 5

SkyMan
We used flyscreen to keep the flies away

You won't see that here.  Billions of flies crawling over the fish add to the flavor.  Something to do with all the garbage, shit, and dead things the flies were most recently walking over just gives it that something special.  None for me thanks.

Did you know the first thing a fly does when it lands is puke?

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 3

Mandingo

My wife just packs them in coarse salt. Have to do it differently here since not a lot of sun to dry them like we should. Right now she has a bunch of halibut and black cod put away......

Topper

You won't see that here.  Billions of flies crawling over the fish add to the flavor.  Something to do with all the garbage, shit, and dead things the flies were most recently walking over just gives it that something special.  None for me thanks.

Did you know the first thing a fly does when it lands is puke?

So even the flies don't like dried fish. It makes them puke.  Hey, 10 billion flies can't be wrong. That should tell you something about dried fish.  :biggrin_01:

goggleye

thanks to you guys who made positive contributions   :-)   

Enuff

Wife makes some of the best dried fish I've ever tasted using small yellowtail. She butterflies the fish, de-guts them, soaks them in a brine made from vinegar, a lot of salt, and crushed garlic. Then puts them on a flat rack on the clothesline to dry in the sun on a hot day, turning once. Not dried to a crisp, though.

Then fried, and served with a sauce of vinegar and crushed chillies.

First time I was given dried fish and rice for breakfast, thought to myself, "This ain't Weet-Bix". A week later, was asking for more fish, less Weet-Bix.

I don't believe you, how about I come get a kilo for verification
  • Like 3

Salty Dog

Use-a-paper-towel-on-Tilapia-fillets.jpg

• Like 1

batman2525

Wife makes some of the best dried fish I've ever tasted using small yellowtail.

Wonder if it will work with Cod?