My daughter needs college but has RP high school diploma

State Trooper

So this is getting frustrating trying to figure out how my daughter can get Federal financial aid to go to college online. She graduated under the old k-10 program from a public high school here. She likely has some deficiencies like US history. She can enroll in a college if she meets the basic abilities test but she cant get federal financial aid without a high school diploma recognized in the US.

Has anyone tried getting their child a high school diploma online from the US that is recognized by colleges in the US or has anyone got a GED while outside the country. You cannot take the GED test online, it must be given at a certain location in the US but maybe they would allow her to take the test at a designated site here such as a school or maybe the Embassy?

Any ideas?

Jawny

The GED testing process has changed from what is has been for decades. It is now managed by a for-profit corporation. The test itself has been changed as well, which may make it more challenging for some. As you might have guessed, there are a variety of courses to prepare applicants.

The test taker has to go to a testing location. May be there is such a service offered through the U.S. Embassy, but I highly doubt it.

If your daughter is living here, not sure about how to get a U.S. High school to offer a diploma to a non-resident student.

Is her intention to enroll in college courses online, U.S. Based?

https://home.pearsonvue.com/About-Pearson-VUE/Discover-Pearson-VUE/Pearson-VUE-businesses/GED-Testing-Service.aspx

Edited by Jawny
smokey

So this is getting frustrating trying to figure out how my daughter can get Federal financial aid to go to college online. She graduated under the old k-10 program from a public high school here. She likely has some deficiencies like US history. She can enroll in a college if she meets the basic abilities test but she cant get federal financial aid without a high school diploma recognized in the US.

Has anyone tried getting their child a high school diploma online from the US that is recognized by colleges in the US or has anyone got a GED while outside the country. You cannot take the GED test online, it must be given at a certain location in the US but maybe they would allow her to take the test at a designated site here such as a school or maybe the Embassy?

Any ideas?

CDLI is a GED type school by the mall up town not far from the ford dealership...  Step children can go to school here in the Philippines at a reduced rate thru some military programs  ,, My son went to CIE and then CDLI here in cebu and entered a college in the us when he went back

Edited by smokey
Steve and Myrlita

Is her intention to enroll in college courses online, U.S. Based? https://home.pearson...ng-Service.aspx
Hummm, Pearson, isn't that the monopoly who has the govt contract for required so called common core? If so, God help us all.
  • Like 1
ed villas

why not contact the american womens club in manila(forbes park area) they can assist.

if this CHILD has time for FACEBOOK then this CHILD has time to LEARN ON LINE. as the internet has so much to offer

and yes this CHILD needs to know about the US  and STATE GOVERNMENT. CIVICS and Local state history

shame that you waited until the last moment to plan for a childs education .

By planning ahead you may have avoided some of these current issues

Steve and Myrlita

why not contact the american womens club in manila(forbes park area) they can assist.

if this CHILD has time for FACEBOOK then this CHILD has time to LEARN ON LINE. as the internet has so much to offer

and yes this CHILD needs to know about the US  and STATE GOVERNMENT. CIVICS and Local state history

shame that you waited until the last moment to plan for a childs education .

By planning ahead you may have avoided some of these current issues

True but better late than not at all.

• Like 2
Headshot

With the way the US government works, I would be amazed if an American living overseas can get federal funding for anything. If they can find a way to exclude your daughter from benefits, they will.

Forget the US and just send her to Ateneo in Manila as that is a pretty good school and then go back to the US later if she wants. UP in manila is also very good.

Edited by crj