5 year itch

Jester

ex231

We’re outta here… after 5 years! Haha :D

I enjoyed being here and I’ve been lucky as I even got paid doing what I like. :)

However, the country does not offer much other than pretty, attractive Filipinas… I am sure that is the reason the members are visiting/living here, no? ;)

Fortunately, I found a perfect Filipina… :) We have been traveling extensively to the most Philippine destinations, EU countries, Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Thailand, etc., etc., at least once a month!

However, inasmuch as every single day is enjoyable, fun, adventurous, I think it’s time to get serious in that, because of her age, I need to ensure that her future after me would be just as good and enjoyable… :)

My GF got a college degree alright but what use would it be in the Philippines? Unless she is an entrepreneur or something, you would not expect her making much more than PHP30K or PHP40K a month (the hamburger flippers make more in the US)… maybe PHP100K or so if in the management – only airline captains make around PHP350K a month, good physicians and lawyers about the same (could be more depending on the number of well-heeled patients/clients).

Accordingly, I have decided to take her to the land of opportunity where the mega law firms are offering a starting salary of US$15K to $20K a month – that is about PHP675K to 900K a month! I am sure IT guys probably make more! Sky’s the limit! :)

I already got her a visa to the US… and leaving on a jet plane very soon... Wish her good luck! :D

Au revoir but not goodbye!

You are correct on all points imo. 

I really admire you for being concerned for your GF's future. Way too many times when I've questioned expats about their plans for their wife/GF future I got the deer in the headlights look from them.

Edited by ex231
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• For Real

• Jester

• ex231

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think one problem with many expats is they don't get out of the Philippines often enough. You really do need a break from the place from time to time. Even a long weekend away can have you coming ba

We got the 5-year itch. After 5 years, we tried living in Singapore (lasted 4 months) and also Australia (lasted 1 week).    Both aborted migrations taught us that we had taken the Philippines for g

While its true you can have a nicer house ,,, maids etc for middle class income after a while its just not enough to put up with the bullshit...  and if you have decent funds you ask yourself why do y

Posted Images

rainymike

When I was younger I had itchy feet. Turns out that a good fungicide cream took care of the athlete's foot and it doesn't bother me much anymore.

For general itch, I take a cold shower.

For the really hard to scratch itch, I have my partner scratch my back. That usually gets me in the mood for other things that make me appreciate living in the Philippines.

• Like 1
Jack_be_nimble

I'm going on 3 years here.  Used to the BS, etc.  The BS here is far better to endure than the different kind of BS back in home country.  Now, I feel less desire to go back than I did 2 years ago.

• Like 3
For Real

I got sick of Cebu when i was (more or less) permanently based there. One time i didn't fly out for a year and I enjoyed being back in civilisation.  A couple of weeks at a time is fun and if i stay for 3 months i go totally feral but I do enjoy. I'm not sure why people don't like living in Australia...back after a decade away and am loving it. 

I guess I am happy with one foot in one place and the other foot somewhere else. 

• Like 3
contraman

the other foot somewhere else. 

Now I know why I am uncomfortable :)

• Like 1
oztony

Now I know why I am uncomfortable :)

with that much hair you have probably had an itch for 5 years .
  • Like 2
smokey

I got sick of Cebu when i was (more or less) permanently based there. One time i didn't fly out for a year and I enjoyed being back in civilisation.  A couple of weeks at a time is fun and if i stay for 3 months i go totally feral but I do enjoy. I'm not sure why people don't like living in Australia...back after a decade away and am loving it. 

I guess I am happy with one foot in one place and the other foot somewhere else. 

your problem is your too tall and always looking over the fence to notice the grass seems greener on the other side

throttleplate

when I first moved to the ph I compared living in dipolog city in Mindanao to being on the game show survivor,after the first 6 months I was startin to drive by the tiny airport on my motorbike and sit and stare at an empty airstrip and terminal. I had this feeling of being stranded and the only way off was this airstrip and waiting to be found and rescued.I eventually left 6 months later after bike crash and went back to usa to rehab and then returned to ph to retirement again and every year it has gotten better meaning my mind and approach to the way things work in the ph I have come to accept and adapt.

• Like 3
hyaku

Itching to get down to the beach today and remind me of how much I don't miss snow.

• Like 2
agent17

I think one problem with many expats is they don't get out of the Philippines often enough. You really do need a break from the place from time to time. Even a long weekend away can have you coming back refreshed and maybe even appreciating the place a bit more. I read about people who do visa runs and don't even leave the airport. WTF? 

I have to take a break from this place a few time a year.  Philippines is a wonderful place for me but sometimes I get homesick.

• Like 1
Irenicus

However, the country does not offer much other than pretty, attractive Filipinas… I am sure that is the reason the members are visiting/living here, no?

I call BS on this.  There are a number of people in the Philz who didn't come for just chicks.  To me, they're just gravy on what is a pretty delectable dish.   My reasons for being here are a bit more nebulous - like images fleeting from the corner of your eye.  Freedom is part of it, but it's just one facet.  It's different here, and when faced with the sameness in the United States, it's the difference that I have come to love about being here.  The Philippines gives you the freedom to be you - to be the man or woman that you want to be without the suffocating structures of societal convention that inevitably bind you to certain specific pigeon holes in the West.

I am back in the US for a month.  Been here a week and loving the pizza, subs, friends, family, and blazing fast internet.

That said, I am really looking forward to getting back to the Philippines.  So much more to see and do before I head off to the next chapter of my life.

Just after I've had just a few more pizzas.....

• Like 7
smokey

I call BS on this.  There are a number of people in the Philz who didn't come for just chicks.  To me, they're just gravy on what is a pretty delectable dish.   My reasons for being here are a bit more nebulous - like images fleeting from the corner of your eye.  Freedom is part of it, but it's just one facet.  It's different here, and when faced with the sameness in the United States, it's the difference that I have come to love about being here.  The Philippines gives you the freedom to be you - to be the man or woman that you want to be without the suffocating structures of societal convention that inevitably bind you to certain specific pigeon holes in the West.

I am back in the US for a month.  Been here a week and loving the pizza, subs, friends, family, and blazing fast internet.

That said, I am really looking forward to getting back to the Philippines.  So much more to see and do before I head off to the next chapter of my life.

Just after I've had just a few more pizzas.....

or to define your reply into something I can understand living here is like living in a jerry springer show every day a new story and every day a new adventure .

• Like 5
riklynbor

So far our our plan is to go to Philippines for short visits every year to catch up with family etc and work on our house. Then when our house in Philippines is finished and our house in Oz is done and kids grown up we will do six months at a time leaving Oz in Autumn and returning in spring.

Missing the colder weather here that messes with my spinal cord.

Like I said plan so far and over time plans can change :-)

So far our our plan is to go to Philippines for short visits every year to catch up with family etc and work on our house. Then when our house in Philippines is finished and our house in Oz is done and kids grown up we will do six months at a time leaving Oz in Autumn and returning in spring.

Missing the colder weather here that messes with my spinal cord.

Like I said plan so far and over time plans can change :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIhgXigt0nI

Edited by riklynbor
  • Like 1
For Real

your problem is your too tall and always looking over the fence to notice the grass seems greener on the other side

Some people fantasise about a new live in the Philippines like Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz but spend their life waiting for a twister. Others run to the Philippines and marry the first wicked witch of the South East who makes them tingle inside.

Me, I like my options and the ability to navigate through the future. I like my problem better. I just can't live being locked up and stuck.

• Like 1
smokey

Some people fantasise about a new live in the Philippines like Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz but spend their life waiting for a twister. Others run to the Philippines and marry the first wicked witch of the South East who makes them tingle inside.

Me, I like my options and the ability to navigate through the future. I like my problem better. I just can't live being locked up and stuck.

now that steve has his own show jerry springer is looking for a new side kick maybe you can apply

post-35-0-93530500-1429276792_thumb.jpg    JERRY JERRY JERRY

Edited by smokey