5 year itch

Jester

ex231

I think one problem with many expats is they don't get out of the Philippines often enough. You really do need a break from the place from time to time. Even a long weekend away can have you coming back refreshed and maybe even appreciating the place a bit more. I read about people who do visa runs and don't even leave the airport. WTF? 

I agree 100%! My plan now is to take 2 trips out of Phils a year. One to SEA somewhere and I'm already lining up ducks for a 2 month trip to the US next year. I've come to the conclusion that this place will drive me crazy if I don't.

• Like 2
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• For Real

• Jester

• ex231

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think one problem with many expats is they don't get out of the Philippines often enough. You really do need a break from the place from time to time. Even a long weekend away can have you coming ba

We got the 5-year itch. After 5 years, we tried living in Singapore (lasted 4 months) and also Australia (lasted 1 week).    Both aborted migrations taught us that we had taken the Philippines for g

While its true you can have a nicer house ,,, maids etc for middle class income after a while its just not enough to put up with the bullshit...  and if you have decent funds you ask yourself why do y

Posted Images

NOSOCALPINOY

for me its the other way around... getting internet service hassle... register a car hassle .. get a lic.. hassle... deal with any government hassle... while medical is cheaper here and less hassle for me its free in the usa 

I would just assume that the "five year itch" has resolved all of what you didn't like about living in the Philippines.

Good on you for that then eh! 

A_Simple_Man

For me its a 3 year itch.  But i get it no matter where I am.  After living in a place for 3 years I start thinking:  What else is there?  And then I move to another place to check it out.  It does not have to be outside of Philippines, nor does it mean there is anything wrong with this country,  it just means I get itchy feet.  Others get the same feeling and somehow think they can scratch the itch by going back to a place they have already been.  Too bad we seldom get a report from them to see how that is working.  My guess is they are still not happy.

• Like 3
Jester

Interesting replies.  I have the 5 week itch, I have been here 5 weeks and only have two more weeks of the sentence to serve.

I tried to go to Uniongalvinized in Cebu.  It is not where the company said it is.  that was 45 miniutes sitting in taffic in a cab.  Now they claim it is in Tayud Lilo-an, the taxi driver said it is 2 hours away. What that about 4 miles?  I am in a internet cafe on my 4th computer, they keep screwing up.  

I a going to walk back to my hotel, where I will be greeted by a boiling hot room.  I am walking as it is 10 times faster than a taxi.  I will turn on the TV if there is not a blackout and watch a movie, if the cable is not out.

Later I will walk around downtown and check out the eye candi,  some things make it all worth while. But alas I am married so can only look.   Whiner

• Like 3

Been here 9 years never been out of the country one time in all those years , but maybe soon take a trip to Cambodia  see if i like it maybe move one last time in my life .

Edited by tonny
batman2525

I just did a 5 day trip to KK

Where is KK ?

• Administrator
Salty Dog

Where is KK ?

Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia 

Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 2
Scottiev

Where is KK ?

Kota Kinabalu , Malaysia. The plane tickets were about $70 (3000p) rt each and the hotel was $35(1500p)/night king size bed. The food was fantastic , a bit more expensive than here but well worth the money. Dinner for 3 with desserts , beers , milkshakes ran about $30( 1300p) to $40(1750p). Beer was easy to find and about $3(130p) a pint.  Service was really good most places and I didn't have to raise my hand like a school child to get their attention.

It was nice seeing disciplined traffic , no piped out scooters or junk that was scrapped 15 years ago driving around. Traffic lights that worked. And English that was easy to understand lol.... It was a nice break from the madhouse here.

Was easy to find live bands and cold drinks once the sun was going down. I had an enjoyable time.

All in 6 days / 5 nights for two adults and 1 teen was about $750 (33000p)and we took a few tours and didn't skimp on anything.

• Like 7
ex231

I tried to go to Uniongalvinized in Cebu.  It is not where the company said it is.  that was 45 miniutes sitting in taffic in a cab.

Quit your bitching, at least the cab didn't crash. That happened to me  on one of my few trips to Cebu lol

Jester

Quit your bitching, at least the cab didn't crash. That happened to me  on one of my few trips to Cebu lol

I don't bitch I whine.   At 4 KPH not much of a crash!

• Like 3
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

KK is not a bad place. I've been a couple times. Very clean and orderly.  I probably would have never gone there if it weren't for cheap, short flights though. It makes a nice little getaway from the Philippines that can be very affordable as well. They have a little bit of the two terminal problem like Manila does - had to jump in a cab once as I was dropped at the wrong terminal. 

I've stayed at some high end hotels there and some ordinary ones. It doesn't have the food flair that Penang does, but it certainly beats the Philippines in that regard. Rented a car once and drove around, including up to Mt. Kinabalu. Did some diving there as well, that was definitely pricer than the Philippines. 

With the direct flights from Manila to Phuket, that has become one of my choices for short family get aways. 

• Like 3
Dublin boy

Well we have the six year itch and heading back to the UK. The main reason is my boys education as we lived in the province and the schools suck. We did not want to move to the city as we like the clean air and sea breeze so a no brainier to move back. It was a tough call as we like it in cebu and enjoy the quite life so we will just visit every year.

We are both in two minds about this decision as we have a wonderful house and one like we currently have would costs millions of pounds in the UK. But at the end of the day our sons education has to come first.

In an ideal world six months cebu and six month in the UK but that's not an option with the little lads education.

• Like 1
spydoo

...t at the end of the day our sons education has to come first.

I would love to spend time educating my own children to give them an edge and the pleasure of knowledge. I hope I get the opportunity to do so.

• Like 1
Jester

We’re outta here… after 5 years! Haha :D

I enjoyed being here and I’ve been lucky as I even got paid doing what I like. :)

However, the country does not offer much other than pretty, attractive Filipinas… I am sure that is the reason the members are visiting/living here, no? ;)

Fortunately, I found a perfect Filipina… :) We have been traveling extensively to the most Philippine destinations, EU countries, Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Thailand, etc., etc., at least once a month!

However, inasmuch as every single day is enjoyable, fun, adventurous, I think it’s time to get serious in that, because of her age, I need to ensure that her future after me would be just as good and enjoyable… :)

My GF got a college degree alright but what use would it be in the Philippines? Unless she is an entrepreneur or something, you would not expect her making much more than PHP30K or PHP40K a month (the hamburger flippers make more in the US)… maybe PHP100K or so if in the management – only airline captains make around PHP350K a month, good physicians and lawyers about the same (could be more depending on the number of well-heeled patients/clients).

Accordingly, I have decided to take her to the land of opportunity where the mega law firms are offering a starting salary of US$15K to $20K a month – that is about PHP675K to 900K a month! I am sure IT guys probably make more! Sky’s the limit! :)

I already got her a visa to the US… and leaving on a jet plane very soon... Wish her good luck! :D

Au revoir but not goodbye!

We’re outta here… after 5 years! Haha :D

I enjoyed being here and I’ve been lucky as I even got paid doing what I like. :)

However, the country does not offer much other than pretty, attractive Filipinas… I am sure that is the reason the members are visiting/living here, no? ;)

Accordingly, I have decided to take her to the land of opportunity where the mega law firms are offering a starting salary of US$15K to $20K a month – that is about PHP675K to 900K a month! I am sure IT guys probably make more! Sky’s the limit! :)

I already got her a visa to the US… and leaving on a jet plane very soon... Wish her good luck! :D

Au revoir but not goodbye!

With rent susidys, Obama care and EBt cards, you should be able to scrape by.... Coupon clipping could also help you bottom line.......

Opps, I must edit and add an emotioncon or some might misenterpet my post :bighug: 

Edited by whiner
newtocebu

Well we have the six year itch and heading back to the UK. The main reason is my boys education as we lived in the province and the schools suck. We did not want to move to the city as we like the clean air and sea breeze so a no brainier to move back. It was a tough call as we like it in cebu and enjoy the quite life so we will just visit every year.

We are both in two minds about this decision as we have a wonderful house and one like we currently have would costs millions of pounds in the UK. But at the end of the day our sons education has to come first.

In an ideal world six months cebu and six month in the UK but that's not an option with the little lads education.

Im glad you have your priorities in order - putting your lads needs before your own.

• Like 1