5 year itch

Jester

Jester

I have noticed a treand over the years of expats having a 5 year itch.   I am aware of several people who have moved to the pi's, aquired property and married and or started familys getting fed up at about 5 years, if they have the means they head back to their motherland.

I recently talked to 3 different EXpats, these 3 individuals are all in good health, happily married and have a few dollars. All 3 are in the middle of wrapping up their affairs here and going back at 5 years.  All three cite the difficulty of dealing with the system and constant BS as the reason.

Whiner

• Like 5
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• For Real

• Jester

• ex231

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think one problem with many expats is they don't get out of the Philippines often enough. You really do need a break from the place from time to time. Even a long weekend away can have you coming ba

We got the 5-year itch. After 5 years, we tried living in Singapore (lasted 4 months) and also Australia (lasted 1 week).    Both aborted migrations taught us that we had taken the Philippines for g

While its true you can have a nicer house ,,, maids etc for middle class income after a while its just not enough to put up with the bullshit...  and if you have decent funds you ask yourself why do y

Posted Images

woodchopper

tell the 3 of them to read the "ulysses site",,their "itch" might clearup?

Scottiev

I think one problem with many expats is they don't get out of the Philippines often enough. You really do need a break from the place from time to time. Even a long weekend away can have you coming back refreshed and maybe even appreciating the place a bit more. I read about people who do visa runs and don't even leave the airport. WTF? 

I agree completely, it helps getting out of here once in a while . I just did a 5 day trip to KK with the fiancée and step daughter . It was refreshing to be in an organized city and eat some great food...

• Like 6
Canuck Joe

I think one problem with many expats is they don't get out of the Philippines often enough. You really do need a break from the place from time to time. Even a long weekend away can have you coming back refreshed and maybe even appreciating the place a bit more. I read about people who do visa runs and don't even leave the airport. WTF? 

I agree traveling out helps ...but many expats are here on a budget.

• Like 2
smokey

i find taking the boat to manila instead of flying is relaxing but state room only a guy needs his own cr to really relax 

• Like 5

I am just the opposite, while I could deal with issues and live here full time if I wanted to because I now have a couple of pensions and SS, thus would not have to do without if I did not wish to, when I first get to the Philippines, I say to myself, why the hell did I come, after a coupe of weeks it becomes okay but then once a few months passes, then I am ready to head back to civilization and a place where life is much easier for me, Florida. 

Fortunately, no one way is the only right way for everyone, and I am very happy for you guys who love it here but, I feel that if a person can afford to live in a first world country and if they already have a good woman, then first world life, for the most part, is much easier. YMMV 

• Like 9

BTW, as you can tell from my above post, I am just about at the point of our trip that I feel it is starting to be the time to head home, so we will leave in less than a month. When we are in the US then I am longing to get to the Philippines, once we get here reality sets in. 

• Like 4
Maybe Next Yr

"ulysses site"

What's that?  I googled it and nothing related came up? :scratch_head:

NOSOCALPINOY

Well, we've been on vacation here in Northern California since the 2nd of Feb and reality has set in and I realized why we left California 17 years ago and retired in the Philippines! We're now homesick for the Philippines after just spending a few months here. Our life is a lot more hassle free and relaxing where we live in the Philippines. Just too stressful here in the U.S. and I'll just leave it at that! It's really all about each to one's own preference of lifestyle and where, five year itch or not! The only itch I have is with my lower portions of my legs  due to the cool dry weather Northern California has been having lately

Edited by NOSOCALPINOY
  • Like 1
smokey

Well, we've been on vacation here in Northern California since the 2nd of Feb and reality has set in and I realized why we left California 17 years ago and retired in the Philippines! We're now homesick for the Philippines after just spending a few months here. Our life is a lot more hassle free and relaxing where we live in the Philippines. Just too stressful here in the U.S. and I'll just leave it at that! It's really all about each to one's own preference of lifestyle and where, five year itch or not! The only itch I have is with my lower portions of my legs  due to the cool dry weather Northern California has been having lately

for me its the other way around... getting internet service hassle... register a car hassle .. get a lic.. hassle... deal with any government hassle... while medical is cheaper here and less hassle for me its free in the usa 

• Like 4