Sign in to follow this  
poby

210/131 Blood Pressure

poby

Recently bought an Omron digital BP sphygmomanometer (gotta love that word!).  I'm 107/73 but my father in law is 210/131 and his wife around the same.  They are very active and not overweight and not showing any adverse symptoms.  But nonetheless I think they urgently need to see a medical professional as the medication they taking is clearly not working to keep the BP in check.

Problem is they are both highly resistant to seeing a doctor.  He is totally blind in one eye due to a cataract which is easily fixed these days but he insists he sees just fine with one eye and doesn't want anything done.  They really hate going to a doctor cos they so afraid of being confined in hospital.  Mrs is insisting and nagging so I think later this morning we will drag them there.  But they are busy right now pulling weeds and insist on finishing first.  It's obviously a delaying tactic.

Mrs has bullied and scared them into cutting back on the drinking so they only allowed to get drunk once or twice a month instead of every 2nd day.  I don't want to stop them from drinking altogether as you gotta have fun sometimes.  However the last drinking session was last Friday and I understand blood pressure can remain elevated for a few days after going on a bender.  But by how much?  I'm thinking even considering Fridays drinking session, 210 is dangerously high.  

Other than chronic high BP issues, I think they are pretty healthy.  They both over 60 but they often bring trees down from the mountain to chop up for firewood.  Filipinos are strong!  It's amazing to see a 60 year old wizened hobbit woman carrying half a tree on her head.

• Like 1

goggleye

wow all kinds of health issues waiting to happen   

Paul

Definitely get them to a doctor so they can begin taking medication to get their respective blood pressures under control. 

Lee

Have them cut out the salt too. Get that pressure down fast, before God forbid something bad happens like a stroke or worse. 

As for changing their drinking habits, the drinking might not be the issue and as I learned the hard way, I am to stay out of family life because if I force a change and then things go wrong, I am always the one to get blamed.

Hope they will be okay.

Cipro

That's pretty impressive. 

lopburi3

As said get them to doctor and some control over blood pressure - this is something that needs to be checked (first thing in any doctor visit) as you do not feel it so damage is done without knowledge if not monitored and controlled.

Push him to get that cataract operation - on basis he needs a fallback for his good eye as likely that will develop same problem at some point.  Do it now when easy fix.  He will be amazed at how good the world looks after this simple 2 hour outpatient visit (only about 10 minute procedure - colors much more vivid and sight much better - speaking from having both eyes done within last six weeks).  

acman

Im no dr but it may be the drinking is what has kept them from having a stroke with pressures that high . I know when my meds was not working if I drank some beers my pressure would go down

riklynbor

Our Tay refused to go to a Dr almost cost him his life. On a hot day he exerted himself and had a stroke due to un managed high blood pressure. I guess the body is not ment to hold that kind of pressure and a vein popped.

He now takes his medicine @ P3000 a month. I guess having a stroke was scary enough to finaly listen to us.

SkyMan

Last evening I was walking the dogs a nd large group of people of people were looking down the valley behind our house.  I figured there was a snake or something out because of the hot weather lately.  But one of the local ladies out cutting bundles of sticks had fallen or passed out.  It was 40 minutes for the ambulance to arrive and they brought her up the hill and drove her off.  Someone mentioned High Blood but no one really knows.  Just a likely scenario.  Nothing to place with.

loy

People here uses a lot of salt in there foods. I never see anyone drinking much water either. Cataract develops as we age. Maybe you should use some  psychology ploy to get them to see the doctor. Will not be around much longer if they do not get medical help. I have seen many younger people, age 30 and up with stroke. Some may have no means to pay doctor bills but i am sure you would help.

Hope for the best. 

Alan S

Since I had my heart ops, I have had routine medicals and last months, showed some problems.

One was that my blood pressure was too  high.

So, on Thursday I go and have a recorder that checks your BP every few minutes, fitted which I wear for 24 hours, and on Friday have it removed and see the Doctor.

No doubt it will result on medication that reduces it.

Nothing major, and even I (notorious for my dislike of anything medical) will have it done and take whatever, as I have known too many people ignore high BP and the consequences.

lopburi3

With a bit of luck the blood pressure will be within normal range when outside of the hospital white coats and little or no medication may be required - but even if real high pressure it is best to find out and get it under control.  Really good investment to buy a home unit so you can check while you are at rest at various times of the day - being in a hospital/under stress can make a huge difference.

SkyMan

So, on Thursday I go and have a recorder that checks your BP every few minutes, fitted which I wear for 24 hours, and on Friday have it removed and see the Doctor.
Have as much sex as you can while you're on that thing.  Just mess with 'em.

Alan S

Have as much sex as you can while you're on that thing.  Just mess with 'em.

I wish. !

But it isnt much fun on your own, so I guess I will pass on that idea.