May have an impersonator here...

cvgtpc1

Thanks, guys. I haven't had a chance to talk with my buddy whom I know served, to see what, if anything, he learned. 

It just gets under my skin, for people to even consider doing such a thing. 

It reminds me of meeting someone who is say, forty years old. However, during your first conversation with them, keeping track, you've counted that they have 60 years experience concerning various different job positions they have held over the years. :rolleyes:

I've met people who were 25 with that kind of verbal resume LOL

This guy was the sheriff of his town back home and knew some martial art only 7 people in the world knew, funniest part is they're so serious when they say this stuff lol  but i guess it could've all been true but doubtful.  

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul

• RPretire

• colemanlee

• DWC

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As other have hinted or nearly said: (Those who say the most, did the least; and those who say the least, most likely did the most).   My 3 cents   Bless

Yeah, it's likely he served some time in active duty, and then transferred to the reserves to serve out his 20. Make no mistake, though...since 1990, the reserves and guard have deployed just as often

If he served 20 years active duty then he would be entitled to retirement pay at separation. If he served in the Reserves, he would not be eligible for retirement pay until age 60. He still would have

Posted Images

USMC-Retired

Yeah, it's likely he served some time in active duty, and then transferred to the reserves to serve out his 20. Make no mistake, though...since 1990, the reserves and guard have deployed just as often as the active branches. If he served 20, he deserves just as much respect no matter where he served. Be very careful about accusing somebody based on the fact they aren't carrying a DD214. NOBODY in their right mind carries their DD214 with them. However, if he is retired, he should have a blue retired ID card, and it is likely that he will carry that. It gives the rank at retirement on the card. If he retired as guard or reserved, he didn't receive his retirement until he was 60. It's kind of a raw deal in today's world, where the government tasks the guard and reserves as if they were active duty. There is no longer anybody who I would consider "traditional" guard or reserve left in the force. The only advantage is that you don't get transferred to another base unless you are being deployed overseas. It allows the family to avoid pulling the kids out of school all the time.

Make no mistake active duty deployed a whole lot more. I was there and in 5 years spent three in Iraq and Afgan. (2002-2007) Scheduled to return in 12 months after returning in 2007. Yes reserves deployed yet not nearly at the op tempo of active duty forces. Most forward units were on an 18 month rotation I was attached to a headquarter unit that rotated between East 2ND MAW and West 3RD MAW. Yes when they supplemented the active duty forces with reserves it does make for a raw deal but a deal they signed up for, they could have gone active. I spent 6 Christmases in 20 years (1987-2007) at home 4 as a recruiter and 2 in school. So please do not ever say a reservist has ever traveled a mile in my shoes as he has not. If he served 20 then retired he must do 10 more in inactive reserve then at 30 years officially retired. He still should have a blue ID card. Edited by USMC-Retired
colemanlee

East 2ND MAW and West 3RD MAW.

Just curious if you dont mind, which unit?  From 1978 till 1995 I was either attached to VMGR152 or 252

• Like 1

Why did most of us sport mustaches when we served. I remember having one, but don't remember why! Lol

In my case it was the late 70's and mustaches were the in thing. Most likely due to the Movies and medias where (Burt Reynolds, Tom Selleck, Charles Bronson and many others were sporting them) Fair to say that after us all getting the mullets cut off.... the mustache was just iconic! 

Edited by DWC
USMC-Retired

Vma513 1988-1991 then MCSF Cadre Kefkavik Iceland 1992-1995.

colemanlee

Vma513 1988-1991 then MCSF Cadre Kefkavik Iceland 1992-1995.

I imagine the MCSF tour was extremely interesting, Had a chance to pick up 7502 early 91

USMC-Retired

It was fun 8153 was my second MOS. After the year long gulf war cross deck deployment I needed some fun...

Wolfpack

For those commenting on travel with a DD214...it is as important document as a birth certificate...maybe even more so...because vet benefits can be processed with the DD214 as proof of service...

The VA issues mini DD214's for travel...

The VA will also issue duplicate DD214's...so you can keep one in a safe place...and travel with one...

If you are a vet...you should always have a copy of your DD214 with you when traveling...especially in the Philippines...your wife or companion should present said document to a hospital in the event of a life threatening emergency...in some cases, it will get you better care...especially if you are unconscious...

If your passport is lost or stolen...your DD214 is an acceptable ID for a replacement passport or Emergency Travel Documents...

You make a baby while overseas...it is an acceptable document in the process of a birth abroad certificate for your child...

If you are not traveling with your DD214, might want to change your thinking...it might save your life...if you care about that type of thing...

Edited by Wolfpack
Bill H

In my case it was the late 70's and mustaches were the in thing. Most likely due to the Movies and medias where (Burt Reynolds, Tom Selleck, Charles Bronson and many others were sporting them) Fair to say that after us all getting the mullets cut off.... the mustache was just iconic!

I guess I've got 12 years or so on you, and after thinking about it, maybe it was to look older? Most draftees or 18-19 and they could not legally drink. I was 20 and the old man of my basic training unit which were mostly draftees.