May have an impersonator here...

Paul

Paul i think your hearts in the right place

I think our military members call it "stolen valor". For ANY American to do it, would be one of the most disrespectful things to those who actually did serve, that I can think of.

I am not out to investigate him. In fact, I think he may have served. But, perhaps it is as others have stated, mainly as a reservist. But, he has just painted his own fantasies about what he did. I don't know, man. 

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul

• RPretire

• colemanlee

• DWC

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As other have hinted or nearly said: (Those who say the most, did the least; and those who say the least, most likely did the most).   My 3 cents   Bless

Yeah, it's likely he served some time in active duty, and then transferred to the reserves to serve out his 20. Make no mistake, though...since 1990, the reserves and guard have deployed just as often

If he served 20 years active duty then he would be entitled to retirement pay at separation. If he served in the Reserves, he would not be eligible for retirement pay until age 60. He still would have

Posted Images

• Administrator
Salty Dog

Yeah, reserves don't collect until 60.  And I think I'm still eligible to be recalled but that's rare and almost unimaginable more than 4 years after retirement.  They told me I needed to remain fit to put a uniform on until I think 60 or 65.  I could still fit in my uniform fine if I had one.  I'd be more than happy to be recalled.  No problem doing a few more years.

As for whether the guy's legit.  Most vets I know don't like to talk much about their service except among vets and among them there are subgroups.  Nam vets tend to keep their war stories among other Nam vets, etc.  That doesn't mean this guy is bsing you though.

I think once you have completed 30 years that your free of the whole recall thing.

I remember hearing once, that is why when you retire after 20, but less than 30 from the Navy, that they use to say you were in the fleet reserve. Not sure if they still call it that.

Paul

Most vets I know don't like to talk much about their service except among vets and among them there are subgroups.

He is exactly the opposite. Can't tell us enough about what he did in the service. 

Oh well, I will let it go. I would be interested in what my friend learns today, though.

colemanlee

Still called the fleet reserve...Example, retire at 22 years, eight years left in the fleet reserve, interesting note, once you get the other eight years in the Fleet reserve, not only can you not be recalled, you cant volunteer ....your done....its why a lot of us just took GS Jobs for DOD at least it keeps your hand in..

• Like 1
Humboldt

I tried reverse's NG didn't like giving up one weekend a month , the two weeks in the summer wasn't

so bad ,,as I was working at government shipyard ... I think I was able to collect my regular pay ?

anyways I had enough and wanted out , so I joined the US Merchant Marines  (MSC)

told my base commander it's been fun but I got to run ,, got a clean discharge from the NG

I can't remember the amount of benefits I would of received , after getting the 20 yr letter , put it wasn't much like 1/3 ?

so like 300 dollars a month something like that ,, at age 60 .  

post-16845-0-60918100-1428821233_thumb.jpg

Yes..... stolen valor is very common among the wanna-be's. I noticed in the OP (1st post ) about how his buddy who actually served a few years, thinks the fella is full of it! Right there, that is very telling. My point being that an x-servicemen can sniff out (stolen valor) very easily. I myself was a soldier in the regular army and over many years I have encountered at least a dozen or so twerps

that claimed to be Military or x- Military and upon a short discussion,,,, the gig was up! Trust the friends instinct. If he thinks the fella is full of it, chances are he's correct. 

Edited by DWC
RPretire

As other have hinted or nearly said: (Those who say the most, did the least; and those who say the least, most likely did the most).

My 3 cents

Bless

• Like 5
Topper

I served 2 years active with the fleet and the remaining time in the reserves for a total of just under 26 years. I retired from the reserves when I was in my mid-fifties and could not collect until I reached 60. Since I still had some 4 years or so left on my enlistment, I was still able to be recalled to active duty until that enlistment time was up. If, however, they had to recall me at age 55, it was a hell of a lot more serious than they were telling you.  :biggrin_01:

Jester

I cannot see why anyone would carry a DD 214 with them?  VA card, I know people who were wounded that do not use the VA so would not have a VA card. They will not even apply for one after I tell them its good for 10% off at Lowes and HOme Depot!  Among others.

Generally wanabes will regale you with tales of special missions and assigments and moments of heroism. Rarely will they tell you they were an office poog or mechanic.  Sometimes hard to tell as they honestly believe what it is true!

I just about pee,d myself when a wacko was telling me about assinating Vietnamese dignitarys by sneaking up on their houses and lobbing hand gernades in the window!   I suspect if the poor sick sob were put on a lie detector he would pass.

Whiner

RogerDuMond

Yes..... stolen valor is very common among the wanna-be's.

And in the US there is actually a federal law against it.

• Like 1
dnl_grout

As other have hinted or nearly said: (Those who say the most, did the least; and those who say the least, most likely did the most)

When we say we are a long way from there, it means we will never forget but those times are no longer the high point of the life we've lived till now.

That we lived till now and kicked some other kind of ass along the way is the real grand prize to brag about.

cvgtpc1

Generally wanabes will regale you with tales of special missions and assigments and moments of heroism. Rarely will they tell you they were an office poog or mechanic.  Sometimes hard to tell as they honestly believe what it is true!

I did 10 as a computer tech...would never think of saying I did more to take away from the guys that really put their asses on the line.

But all my PI war stories are true LOL

• Like 1
ttmctoad

He could have done 20 years and be eligible to be recalled to active duty for another 10 years. I retired to "fleet reserve" at 20 years but wasn't officially retired and done with the possibility of being recalled until I hit the 30 year mark. I was moved to the RETIRED list at 30 years. This is true fo all retirees unless they retire after having served 30 years.

I believe reservists draw their check at 60.

Having said that, he could be lying or not.

Toad

USN Retired

Bill H

attachicon.gifMilitary.jpg

Yes..... stolen valor is very common among the wanna-be's. I noticed in the OP (1st post ) about how his buddy who actually served a few years, thinks the fella is full of it! Right there, that is very telling. My point being that an x-servicemen can sniff out (stolen valor) very easily. I myself was a soldier in the regular army and over many years I have encountered at least a dozen or so twerps

that claimed to be Military or x- Military and upon a short discussion,,,, the gig was up! Trust the friends instinct. If he thinks the fella is full of it, chances are he's correct.

Why did most of us sport mustaches when we served. I remember having one, but don't remember why! Lol

Paul

Thanks, guys. I haven't had a chance to talk with my buddy whom I know served, to see what, if anything, he learned. 

It just gets under my skin, for people to even consider doing such a thing. 

It reminds me of meeting someone who is say, forty years old. However, during your first conversation with them, keeping track, you've counted that they have 60 years experience concerning various different job positions they have held over the years. :rolleyes: 

• Like 1