May have an impersonator here...

Paul

There is a guy here in town. He professes to have served 20 years in the army, the 103rd, I think it was. 

He also said he cannot draw his retirement until he turns 60 something. I thought military retirement was paid after you retired?

He said he was still eligible to be called back for another 10 years. 

I was just wondering if there were any questions I could ask him, to verify if he is legitimate or if he is dishonoring those who have actually served.

A buddy of mine here, who actually served a few years, seems to think he is full of shit. I tend to agree with him, due to the excessive bragging about his service that he has been doing. 

Input, please? 

Edited by Paul
correct spelling
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul

• RPretire

• colemanlee

• DWC

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As other have hinted or nearly said: (Those who say the most, did the least; and those who say the least, most likely did the most).   My 3 cents   Bless

Yeah, it's likely he served some time in active duty, and then transferred to the reserves to serve out his 20. Make no mistake, though...since 1990, the reserves and guard have deployed just as often

If he served 20 years active duty then he would be entitled to retirement pay at separation. If he served in the Reserves, he would not be eligible for retirement pay until age 60. He still would have

Posted Images

Paul

I never had the honor of serving. But, if someone is pretending to have served, that is a pretty low thing to do, in my eyes. 

usnftcret

If he served 20 years active duty then he would be entitled to retirement pay at separation. If he served in the Reserves, he would not be eligible for retirement pay until age 60. He still would have had  to perform "20 qualifying years" for the retirement pay. I would ask him to see his DD214 to verify his service. If he can't show you his DD214, he is full of shit.

• Like 4
Paul

He's just here visiting. I guess that is something that one may not carry with them when traveling, the DD-214? He's here with his wife, a Khmer gal, visiting someone we know. 

RPretire

Be sure any and all DD-214's add up to 20+ years to qualify for an US Army Retirement.  Otherswise it is just another DD-214.

I have 3 now and a 4th DD-214 this JULY 2015 (I have way more than 20+).

• Like 1
Wolfpack

He's just here visiting. I guess that is something that one may not carry with them when traveling, the DD-214? He's here with his wife, a Khmer gal, visiting someone we know. 

Both active reserve AND inactive reserve have a military ID...and can indeed be called to active duty at any time...he would most certainly have one of those two ID's with him as he travels...

• Like 1
usnftcret

Okay, I assumed he was living there with his Khmer wife. No, a DD 214 is not something I would carry around while on vacation but I do carry my Retired Military ID with me. You could also ask if he has a VA ID card. Guys who usually brag about their heroics while in the military like to tell tales which may not be true.

Edited by usnftcret
  • Like 3
cvgtpc1

If he served 20 years active duty then he would be entitled to retirement pay at separation. If he served in the Reserves, he would not be eligible for retirement pay until age 60. He still would have had  to perform "20 qualifying years" for the retirement pay. I would ask him to see his DD214 to verify his service. If he can't show you his DD214, he is full of shit.

Wiki shows this so its possible he's telling the truth....

In September 1977 the unit was redesignated and reorganized as the 103rd Corps Support Command (COSCOM), the first Corps Support Command in the United States Army Reserve

Edited by cvgtpc1
usnftcret

Be sure any and all DD-214's add up to 20+ years to qualify for an US Army Retirement.  Otherswise it is just another DD-214.

I have 3 now and a 4th DD-214 this JULY 2015 (I have way more than 20+).

Your latest DD 214 will cover all your previous dates of service.

• Like 2
RPretire

We agree:

You say "latest" but I say "last".  Then at my MRD (Mandatory Retirement Date) Army will summarize all my DD-214's so my "last" will cover all my previous dates and DD-214's.

Bless

Headshot

Wiki shows this so its possible he's telling the truth....

In September 1977 the unit was redesignated and reorganized as the 103rd Corps Support Command (COSCOM), the first Corps Support Command in the United States Army Reserve

Yeah, it's likely he served some time in active duty, and then transferred to the reserves to serve out his 20. Make no mistake, though...since 1990, the reserves and guard have deployed just as often as the active branches. If he served 20, he deserves just as much respect no matter where he served. Be very careful about accusing somebody based on the fact they aren't carrying a DD214. NOBODY in their right mind carries their DD214 with them. However, if he is retired, he should have a blue retired ID card, and it is likely that he will carry that. It gives the rank at retirement on the card. If he retired as guard or reserved, he didn't receive his retirement until he was 60. It's kind of a raw deal in today's world, where the government tasks the guard and reserves as if they were active duty. There is no longer anybody who I would consider "traditional" guard or reserve left in the force. The only advantage is that you don't get transferred to another base unless you are being deployed overseas. It allows the family to avoid pulling the kids out of school all the time.

• Like 4
Bill H

My ID card is tarnish in color, and I don't normally carry it unless I know I'm going to a military base to use the facilities there. I have never in my life carried my DD214, in fact I'm not even sure where it is at the moment! Let us not turn into the PC police. Unless this guy is trying to get money from folks, leave him be.

• Like 1
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

Paul i think your hearts in the right place

but what are you going to do

go up to the guy and say ...show me your papers.

there may be a time and place for confronting someone over this kind of thing

but i just don't see it as now and there.. unless he's trying to gain something out of it from you or your friends or some such

i mean to be honest if it were me and i was in the military and someone told me to prove it i would tell them to stick it up their ass.. actually i would tell them that if i were telling the truth about service or not

but all the same .. good luck with it

Edited by broden
  • Like 1
SkyMan

Yeah, reserves don't collect until 60.  And I think I'm still eligible to be recalled but that's rare and almost unimaginable more than 4 years after retirement.  They told me I needed to remain fit to put a uniform on until I think 60 or 65.  I could still fit in my uniform fine if I had one.  I'd be more than happy to be recalled.  No problem doing a few more years.

As for whether the guy's legit.  Most vets I know don't like to talk much about their service except among vets and among them there are subgroups.  Nam vets tend to keep their war stories among other Nam vets, etc.  That doesn't mean this guy is bsing you though.

Edited by SkyMan