Sign in to follow this  
darrener

aussies beware of CBA

darrener

The commonwealth bank will be treating any transaction from your credit card involving a 3rd party remittance provider such as western union as a cash transaction as of 17th April, if you submit one transaction of a couple of thousand dollars per month this will increase your charges considerably on top of what you already pay to the 3rd party provider , not to mention there is no interest free period.... This is not my main reason for posting however, I am with globe and cannot receive netcode SMS for some reason, the problem lies in that I can't change my netbank profile details without the netcode SMS...catch 22, I wanted to buy a car and because of the SMS requirement decided to do a foreign currency transfer...guess what... I need a netcode SMS to perform the transaction... stuck again..... I am now in the ridiculous position of not being able to do any sort of internet banking transactions with my own money, at the moment I am  using an ATM at 200 pesos a pop for 10,000 pesos plus international transaction fees from the bank...... They ask you to contact them by landline through an international operator whom you must ask to connect a reverse charge call.... good luck with that one if you don't have your own landline.... good luck with that one even if you do....After talking to them via mobile (cost a fortune) and satisfying all of their identification and security requirements they still flatly refused to allow a change to my internet banking profile and limits..... in other words feck you we don't care. They offered to send me some sort of token through the post that will allow me access..... but what are the chances of that ever reaching me, especially within a month..... so if anybody is planning on accessing funds through internet banking, beware....

By the way..... if anybody is familiar with these tokens or can suggest better ways of doing things any feedback would be greatly appreciated.....

cheers.

• Like 1

Nangulo

Try the HSBC ATM's across from Ayala.  You can get 40,000 pesos per day, and you may not have to pay a transaction fee.  But even if you do, it's gonna be 1/4 of what you're currently paying.

lance.schukies

open a local account and do a transfer, buy a prepaid smart sim to get the CBA sms.

• Like 1

Art

I've been using the token for about 7 years for banking the battery lasts around 5 years.  Its brilliant for internet banking adding another level of security that my bank recognises as one of their own.  It is synchronised to the bank on GMA time.   I can use it to log in to my internet banking anywhere in the world and do transactions, if I need to transfer money to someone or another account during the transaction it prompts me to enter the current 6 digit number on the token. I have 60 seconds to enter the number before it changes if I am too slow I just wait for the count to restart with a different number. 

If I lose the token I can call my bank who will give me a 6 digit number for a one time use and they will send me a new token.  My token cost me $20 well worth it for the security and peace of mind.  Even when using someone else's computer to login and they find out your id and password they can do nothing without the constantly changing token number to add in the log in field.  

I can't help you solve your current predicament but highly recommend you get the token for future transactions.

post-479-0-29252800-1428699706_thumb.png

• Like 4

darrener

open a local account and do a transfer, buy a prepaid smart sim to get the CBA sms.

I opened an account with BDO, however transferring funds through a 3rd party provider is now going to become a whole lot more expensive, that is if I had access to "netcode" which I don't.... ....  The banks have obviously had enough of being totally undercut on transaction costs and have decided they want some of the action and so have done what they always do and changed the rules........greedy bastards,,,

• Like 1

SkyMan

They offered to send me some sort of token through the post that will allow me access..... but what are the chances of that ever reaching me, especially within a month
In a month, 50-50.Just go to your post office weekly to see check if it's in.  And even if you didn't think you'd get it in time for what you need now, you might need it for the future. 

Try the HSBC ATM's across from Ayala.  You can get 40,000 pesos per day, and you may not have to pay a transaction fee.  But even if you do, it's gonna be 1/4 of what you're currently paying.
HSBC will also allow multiple pulls of p40K if your bank will allow that much per day.  UCPB also allows larger than p10K without a fee if you're on the right network.

darrener

I've been using the token for about 7 years for banking the battery lasts around 5 years.  Its brilliant for internet banking adding another level of security that my bank recognises as one of their own.  It is synchronised to the bank on GMA time.   I can use it to log in to my internet banking anywhere in the world and do transactions, if I need to transfer money to someone or another account during the transaction it prompts me to enter the current 6 digit number on the token. I have 60 seconds to enter the number before it changes if I am too slow I just wait for the count to restart with a different number. 

If I lose the token I can call my bank who will give me a 6 digit number for a one time use and they will send me a new token.  My token cost me $20 well worth it for the security and peace of mind.  Even when using someone else's computer to login and they find out your id and password they can do nothing without the constantly changing token number to add in the log in field.  

I can't help you solve your current predicament but highly recommend you get the token for future transactions.

attachicon.gifToken.png

Thanks for that Art.....I guess I need to try and get one posted out to me.... although in the past the postal service has been totally hit and miss so I'm not sure when or if I will receive it.....  either way it looks like transferring funds using this system just became a whole lot more expensive for now..... a visa debit card will probably solve the problem of increased fees in the long term but  I think I will have to return to Australia to set up an account...

Edited by darrener

mikewright

Thanks for that Art.....I guess I need to try and get one posted out to me.... although in the past the postal service has been totally hit and miss so I'm not sure when or if I will receive it.....  either way it looks like transferring funds using this system just became a whole lot more expensive for now..... a visa debit card will probably solve the problem of increased fees in the long term but  I think I will have to return to Australia to set up an account...

You could get the token sent by courier, but its a bit expensive. About $120 by Fedex from Sydney to Cebu but gets there in a few days.

Art

When I was in the Philippines I used Forexworld BDO cash card it only cost me $8.00 to transfer funds from my bank a/c to reload the card up to Peso100,000.  They are in Australia so check them out when you go back.

https://www.forexworld.com.au/money.php#.VShcaRfQybN

I gave up using my bank card because of their grubby money grabbing ways.   Any transaction from my bank's visa debit was a credit card transaction.  I paid 3% plus $5 fee plus foreign exchange fees the BDO cash card ended up being a lot cheaper.   Even my credit card is cheaper than using the bank at 2.5% and only foreign exchange fees. 

• Like 1

KennyF

Check out Orbitremit.

I have Globe and receive "tokens" from NAB and ANZ no problem.

Orbit remit charge $8.00 per transaction regardless of amount.

KonC

• Like 1

JayT

Some Australian Banks treat Western Union online transactions as cash advances. If you are like the majority of the population and your maximum daily cash withdrawal from an ATM is $1,000/2000 then you can only send $1,000/2000 including fees. 

I had a similar problem with my Skrill account in the UK. The Bank started limiting the amount I could transact on Skrill after deciding to treat those transactions as cash advances, because some people use Skrill for online gambling.

poby

My bank does the sms thing for online transactions over a certain size or to new recipients but it's not a problem as I tell them my Philippines cell number before I travel so I get the sim on my phone there.  Easier than worrying about carrying around a dongle.

noddle

The way I get around all of this is, I have a PC set up at home ( in australia ) with some remote software running on it

so when i'm in the philippines, i can "remote" into it, to do my online banking / transfers (bPay), to a 3rd party ( http://www.orbitremit.com )

easy as..

• Like 1

Hy H

greedy bastards

Not wrong there mate.

• Like 1

JayT

The way I get around all of this is, I have a PC set up at home ( in australia ) with some remote software running on it

so when i'm in the philippines, i can "remote" into it, to do my online banking / transfers (bPay), to a 3rd party ( http://www.orbitremit.com )

easy as..

Oh yeh that sounds like a great idea. The only remote access link I know of is Team Viewer. 

Is there any other similar software that offers remote access that you would recommend?