Sign in to follow this  
tradjazz

pension in Manila near airport?

tradjazz

Hi listmates-

Probably the answer to my post is buried somewhere in the three pages of responses-but if you can save me all the reading I would be very grateful!

My Cathy-Pacific flight will dump me into Manila as usual at midnight. Difficult time to get around or find a place to stay overnight, as flights out don't start till next morning-Last time I sat with the guards at the outside guard station all night!

Are there any inexpensive clean pension houses near by the airport? I will have to visit the American consulate next day before continuing my trip South. What should the taxi fare be? I always feel these guys are taking the "long way"aound the blockl

I would appreciate any advice offered-Will be in Manila Sept 9 and Cebu a day or two later.

Ted

RBS

"Inexpensive" is relative. Like you, I normally arrive at about midnight into Manila. My preferred accommodation is the Manila Airport Hotel. This hotel is within 300m walking distance of arrivals and metered taxis are readily available right outside the hotel.

Let us know if you need instructions on how to walk there from arrivals.

Alan S

In that situation, I use the Townhouse hotel.

Owned by Bill & Lorna (US/Filipina) it is cheap, and very popular with the back-packer crowd.

Only a few hundred yards from the airport.

Bill is one of the members here.

http://www.geocities.com/bill_lorna/index.html

tom_shor

Since you are flying Cathy Pacific you might consider flying directly into Cebu.

If you are going to the US embassy you might consider the Swagmann Hotel. They have a free shuttle if you stay at the hotel and the Embassy is directly across the street. A two minute walk. Not a five star hotel but the rates are reasonable and you save money and stress on the airport taxi deal.

You can google them they have a website.

Bob Ward

Tom's idea is the best for your particular situation. If you try and get a taxi to the embassy in the am, you will face the traffic issues. If I just need to catch a quich sleeping room for 6-8 hours, I use the Townhouse Inn mentioned by Alan.

samatm
Tom's idea is the best for your particular situation. If you try and get a taxi to the embassy in the am, you will face the traffic issues. If I just need to catch a quich sleeping room for 6-8 hours, I use the Townhouse Inn mentioned by Alan.

Swaggys would be dandy for you... If you want to stay in a landmark hotel close to the Embassy.. Go to the Manila Hotel.. $100 bucks a night. Great place and you get to feel like MacAurthur for night well sorta maybe not... Good food, Location , Internet, business center, advise, and history..

I stayed at Bills place (the Townhouse in 06 for about 40$ aircon private room) and had to first fight off the Texas sized cockroaches...then the Baygone fumes ...which i did by hanging out downstairs by the cantina with a cold San Mig... (the grill was closed but not to the Kangaroo sized rat that was hving quite a time throughout the kitchen). By the time the Baygone fumes had somewhat subsided I made way upstairs ready to catch a wink or two before my 5:30 wake up ...only to be rocked out of my bed by the Backpackers/and bimbos getting back in and deciding to party down in the aformentioned cantina .... I didnt sleep at all...that after arriving from 28 hr puddle jump.... But I did save 60 bucks by not staying at the Manila .... Bill and Lorna if you are reading this.. your staff was very friendly though and did arrange for an agreeable driver to wisk me away bright and early ( I skipped breakfast as I think your pet rat had most of it already). I just feel that with all the internet and other exposure you all get , you could at least keep your place and rooms clean. Pinoys are known for cleaniness, but your place sucked IMHO. I let you buy me a cold Cerveza Negra sometime in Boracay and all will be good :(

RBS
Since you are flying Cathy Pacific you might consider flying directly into Cebu. ....

Flying from HKG - CEB will require an overnight in HKG - not cheap.

RBS

Swaggys would be dandy for you... If you want to stay in a landmark hotel close to the Embassy.. Go to the Manila Hotel.. $100 bucks a night. Great place and you get to feel like MacAurthur for night well sorta maybe not... Good food, Location , Internet, business center, advise, and history..

I stayed at Bills place (the Townhouse in 06 for about 40$ aircon private room) and had to first fight off the Texas sized cockroaches...then the Baygone fumes ...which i did by hanging out downstairs by the cantina with a cold San Mig... (the grill was closed but not to the Kangaroo sized rat that was hving quite a time throughout the kitchen). By the time the Baygone fumes had somewhat subsided I made way upstairs ready to catch a wink or two before my 5:30 wake up ...only to be rocked out of my bed by the Backpackers/and bimbos getting back in and deciding to party down in the aformentioned cantina .... I didnt sleep at all...that after arriving from 28 hr puddle jump.... But I did save 60 bucks by not staying at the Manila .... Bill and Lorna if you are reading this.. your staff was very friendly though and did arrange for an agreeable driver to wisk me away bright and early ( I skipped breakfast as I think your pet rat had most of it already). I just feel that with all the internet and other exposure you all get , you could at least keep your place and rooms clean. Pinoys are known for cleaniness, but your place sucked IMHO. I let you buy me a cold Cerveza Negra sometime in Boracay and all will be good :(

And for an extra USD14 per night for a better quality room, you could have stayed at the Manila Airport Hotel without the cockroaches (6-wheelers), Kangaroo rats and in-house late night parties. The MAH also has a sparkling clean pool, no extra charge room service, SM at P35 and you can easily walk (no taxi required) from arrivals.

Edited by RBS

Lee
I stayed at Bills place (the Townhouse in 06 for about 40$ aircon private room) and had to first fight off the Texas sized cockroaches...then the Baygone fumes ...which i did by hanging out downstairs by the cantina with a cold San Mig... (the grill was closed but not to the Kangaroo sized rat that was hving quite a time throughout the kitchen).

I just feel that with all the internet and other exposure you all get , you could at least keep your place and rooms clean. Pinoys are known for cleaniness, but your place sucked IMHO.

samatm, I have to second your opinion on the Manila Townhouse hotel, my wife and I stayed there one night in 2004 and we stayed in the aircon room next to the kitchen (big mistake) and I had to bug spray the whole room because of the ants, and when we came back we found so many dead giant roaches and some were big enough to carry a bed away. :( To be fair, I did not see or hear any rats at that time but it would not surprise me to know they moved in because they obviously did not take care of that place back then.

I would never stay there again for free, or even if they paid me. :thumbsup: Sorry Bill and Lorna but you really needed to hire a full time exterminator or start charging the bugs rent. I really expected more from an American!

Lacion Girl
Hi listmates-

Probably the answer to my post is buried somewhere in the three pages of responses-but if you can save me all the reading I would be very grateful!

My Cathy-Pacific flight will dump me into Manila as usual at midnight. Difficult time to get around or find a place to stay overnight, as flights out don't start till next morning-Last time I sat with the guards at the outside guard station all night!

Are there any inexpensive clean pension houses near by the airport? I will have to visit the American consulate next day before continuing my trip South. What should the taxi fare be? I always feel these guys are taking the "long way"aound the blockl

I would appreciate any advice offered-Will be in Manila Sept 9 and Cebu a day or two later.

Ted

Ted, Lacion Girl here, if you just want a no fuss (utilitarian)clean room and comfy bed for the night without the hassle of looking for a taxi to take you to a hotel in the middle of the night, I suggest, to get a room at the airport. There are rooms and beds for rent for midnight arrivals inside the International airport. This place is on the right side just as you exited the immigration area. Just ask the guards where are the rooms for rent for the night. Me and my husband stayed there last year when we arrived from Tokyo at 11pm and had a connecting flight at 4:30am the next day. They even have a shuttle to domestic airport (you pay for it) or you can take a taxi the next day where ever you want to go, all clean and showered. Best of all it only cost me $15-20 I think if I'm remembering correctly.

Lacion Girl

misty
They even have a shuttle to domestic airport (you pay for it)

Airport shuttle between 3 airports in Manila is free. Just ask the guard to point you where the shuttle bus is parked.

samatm

Thanks for the info lacion Girl ! I wish I had known there were rooms in the Intl Terminal beforet before - that must be one of the best kept secrets around. I have seen other posts in think on this forum asking about shower rooms in the airport and nobody knew. I also like the Idea of the MAH hotel as suggested by RBS. Mr. Lee - sorry you had to put up with the Townhouse too, but I do feel somewhat vindicated by your post - thanks for sharing. Fortunately I was traveling single as my wife is a bit of Germaphobe and had she been there she would have been scarred for life.

Lacion Girl
Thanks for the info lacion Girl ! I wish I had known there were rooms in the Intl Terminal beforet before - that must be one of the best kept secrets around.

You are welcome Samatm. I think you are correct that it must be one of the best kept secret.

Lacion girl

Lee

Lacion Gril, I thank you for the info too. ;) I did not know that either.

Samatm, I though I was the only one or that they fixed the problem after I emailed them about it the next day, but now I see that they didn't. It was so bad that I had paid three nights in advance and left the next morning without much sleep and no refund. Not that I am afraid of bugs and my wife was a little upset but was happy after I sprayed, but I watched our suitcases all night hoping to not bring any unwanted travelers with us, and I was concerned that I did not need the extra protein if I snored and opened my mouth. :lol::lol::lol:

tom_shor
Since you are flying Cathy Pacific you might consider flying directly into Cebu. ....

Flying from HKG - CEB will require an overnight in HKG - not cheap.

I don't know your travel route so if that doesn't work for you check out the Sawgman. Their rates were around P1200 the last time I stayed there and they will pick you up and drop you at the airport. It is a short walk to to the embassy.

I am flying from LA and I make the Cebu connection without a layover but not much time in the middle to spare.