Sign in to follow this  
JP999

My answer to "Boracay – probably the worst island I’ve ever visited"

Cipro

You mean there is another type apart from the rub and tug?

The ones I got for 300p never had anything extra, maybe I was doing it wrong.

• Like 1

Jimone

Never been to Boracay myself but it is on my list of places to visit, I read posts on the place but prefer to make up my own mind. A lot of people like, even love Bohol, I had a crap time the last time I visited Bohol and you could not convince me to go back, even if I was paid to go.... so people form there own opinions from the experience they have. 

• Like 2

rfm010

There is a forest up north?

found the article:

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/682923/stop-to-boracay-overdevelopment-sought

"

ILOILO CITY—Residents and tourists on Boracay Island have launched an online petition to stop the commercial development of a beach and its surrounding forest that the petition said was the island’s last remaining pristine area.

The petition is calling for the protection of the Puka Shell Beach and the forest around it in the northern tip of the 1,032-hectare Boracay.

“Help us protect the last remaining pristine beach, forest and wildlife in Boracay,” said the petition.

“They cannot take away all our wildlife on this island for profit,” it said. “If you don’t speak up, the last forest will disappear,” it added.

The petition, made through Change.org, said property owners and developers are “again pushing to revoke the forest classification of the area and make it into commercial land for development.”

As of March 25, at least 1,123 people signed the petition.

The proposed Boracay Development Plan 2013-22 seeks to categorize Puka beach and its surrounding forest as commercial land.

The petition seeks to classify the area as a wildlife sanctuary.

It was initiated by Friends of the Flying Foxes (FFF), a Boracay-based nongovernment organization advocating the conservation of flying foxes, an endangered fruit bat species.

Conservationists have identified three bat species in Boracay, including the golden-crowned flying fox which is endemic to the Philippines, as an endangered species.

FFF said bats perform essential roles in pollinating plants and trees, reforestation and keeping insect population under control.

Fruit bat population in Boracay had declined from 15,000 in 1986 to 2,238 in April 2014 according to the petition.

Flying foxes have become a tourist attraction in Boracay. Tourists wait by the beach at sunset to see thousands of bats fly together from their roosting sites to the Aklan mainland, a distance of about 40 kilometers, to feed on fruits in the forests.

In recent years, bat flights have become rare and conservationists blamed this on uncontrolled development on the island.

Puka beach is yet an undeveloped area, attracting visitors who want to avoid the thick crowd in Boracay’s main beaches. It is surrounded by a forest which is home to wildlife, including turtles, lizards, monkeys and birds.

“In protecting this forest and declaring it a wildlife sanctuary, we make sure our island’s ecosystem, Puka Shell Beach and its forest will survive for future generations and tourists to explore and enjoy,” said the petition."

USMC-Retired

I really did not find anything untrue for an unfamiliar traveler in the Philippines. Being familiar with PH you avoid times of year, beggars and much of the scams. Yet to compare it to beaches around the world make it fair game as I had not visited those beaches. Rosey pictures for Joe average tourist will leave him just bitter.

ozboy

If you go to a big tourist flight booking centre in Oz, say Flightcentre, the majority getaway posters on display feature the usual Tourisy destinations, like Bali, NZ and of course Thailand and Nam....you will be lucky to see any for the Philippines. If you do then its usually a Pic of ''Boracay''

Contango

I can't understand some of the negative complaints either but it's been 10 years sine I've been there so it might have changed. Have you been there more recently?

Been twice, 2007 and 2011 - 6 different hotels, boat station 2 and 3 and Alta Vista in the hills...magnificent.

Cipro

I did like the bats, seemed to be very cute animals.

tomaw

I really did not find anything untrue for an unfamiliar traveler in the Philippines. Being familiar with PH you avoid times of year, beggars and much of the scams. Yet to compare it to beaches around the world make it fair game as I had not visited those beaches. Rosey pictures for Joe average tourist will leave him just bitter.

I went there 3 times. Loved it and not bitter. Ya, I saw it as a tourist but if you lived in Cebu your still a tourist.

tomaw

Hard for me to ever return to Boracay. After discovering Alona Beach in Bohol, a private island on Pangasinan's Hundred Islands (we camped overnight and cooled up some meals on our beach), and a Samal beach that I visit weekly and which I'll never divulge muhahahaha. Beats getting heckled by the dudes about jetskis, parasailing, and whatever else the minute you step outside the hotel. I'm sure there are nice places outside the immediate tourist area, but after that experience, I personally see no need to return to Boracay :(

The problem with the prestine unspoiled beaches you're talking about is you can enjoy the beauty and the serenity for a couple of days, then what? I think even Michael Phelps would eventually get bored with just swimming and sitting on a beach with nothing else to do.
  • Like 1

Borinquen

The problem with the prestine unspoiled beaches you're talking about is you can enjoy the beauty and the serenity for a couple of days, then what? I think even Michael Phelps would eventually get bored with just swimming and sitting on a beach with nothing else to do.

Well these are places you continue to visit if possible. I would assume after you enjoy the place you go home like any other place. Unless like on Samal, I'm planning on buying a nice plot of land near the beach. Will build a future vacation home there.

Plenty to do at all the locations mentioned in my previous post. Of course you're gonna get bored sitting on the beach for a week. So you do what we all try to do and explore the rest of the Philippines.

Edited by Borinquen

easy44

I like Boracay, or at least I did 10 years ago, the last time I was there.  My gf was there last year and didn't paint a pretty picture.  She said it was overdeveloped, congested and even had traffic jams, most days.  How things have changed.

I think you have to look and accept it for what it is.  I can see going there to eat, drink and party for a couple of days and having a great time, but it's such a small island there really isn't much else to do.  Boracay is sold as a world-class beach resort, but after living in Hawaii, a 5 minute walk from the beach, for 15 years, I can say without a doubt that the beach is nice but really nothing special.  I can't imagine all the new hotels and resorts that have been built there in the last 10 years, but I doubt very much that any of them have improved the environment or made it a nicer place to visit.

USMC-Retired

I went there 3 times. Loved it and not bitter. Ya, I saw it as a tourist but if you lived in Cebu your still a tourist.

No not really. The same scams same over priced goods. I have been there numerous times. The place is a tourist trap on my last visit in 2011. All in all it is much easier to navigate as a PH resident then a tourist. I can see there point in the article with zero experience elsewhere in the country. Also do you realize how different a place today it is then 2005. I can only imagine how it's changed in the last 4 years. Edited by USMC-Retired

Laurence

"Each to their own". 

I have visited Boracay six or seven times. I like Yapak beach ... very few people there. But I have said to my wife "I'm finished with Boracay". 

Never again (for me)

easy44

It's probably a good thing that Boracay is so difficult to get to.  If they had their own airport it would be even worse.  Transportation to get there is a big pain in the ass.

Cipro

The trip from the airport to white beach is about the same as a taxi ride from MNL to Makati isn't it?