Sign in to follow this  
JP999

My answer to "Boracay – probably the worst island I’ve ever visited"

Borinquen

Hard for me to ever return to Boracay. After discovering Alona Beach in Bohol, a private island on Pangasinan's Hundred Islands (we camped overnight and cooked up some meals on our beach), and a Samal beach that I visit weekly and which I'll never divulge muhahahaha. Beats getting heckled by the dudes about jetskis, parasailing, and whatever else the minute you step outside the hotel. I'm sure there are nice places outside the immediate tourist area, but after that experience, I personally see no need to return to Boracay :(

Edited by Borinquen
  • Like 3

tomaw

I did write the article, I'm the author. Also, I have not just "been there", I've been living there for over 3 years.

About "I think Boracay appeals to those who want to party and those looking for a quiet getaway might be disappointed"....

While Boracay might not be the best place for that it definitely has some offerings on that part as well. But most people don't know about those quiet places/beaches, that's why I wrote this article: http://boracaycompass.com/beaches-guide/ where I describe and show all of Boracay's 9 known and not-so-know beaches, some very quiet with hardly any tourists.

I've been to Boracay 3 times. White's Beach was my favorite of all beaches I'd been to. I really liked The Boracay Compass article on the lesser known beaches. I'll check them out next time we're there. Edited by tomaw

Contango

I have never understood the expat negativity towards Bora that has been expressed by some on this forum over the years..White Sand Beach is a magnificent beach that is often rated in the top 20 or so beaches of the world, accommodation can be had for $30 per night or $300 and all points inbetween, you can party or go to bed at 9 oclock, watch the sunset and the world pass by while sipping 25P rum and cokes...the water is clean and sweet - i love Boracay...its one of the few places in the Philippines that i rarely complain about.

• Like 3

tomaw

I have never understood the expat negativity towards Bora that has been expressed by some on this forum over the years..White Sand Beach is a magnificent beach that is often rated in the top 20 or so beaches of the world, accommodation can be had for $30 per night or $300 and all points inbetween, you can party or go to bed at 9 oclock, watch the sunset and the world pass by while sipping 25P rum and cokes...the water is clean and sweet - i love Boracay...its one of the few places in the Philippines that i rarely complain about.

I can't understand some of the negative complaints either but it's been 10 years sine I've been there so it might have changed. Have you been there more recently?

tomaw

It's been 10 years sine I've been there. Hopefully White's Beach still looks like this:

post-12051-0-16122200-1428074106_thumb.jpg

Edited by tomaw

ILoveCyrus

:kissass:  :kissass:   :ROFLMAO:

u calling me a kiss arse Paul?  Don't you want a nice, friendly community here..........not one of strife and "put downs"?

Just as I thought...............lol

• Like 1

hyaku

from my memory yes, massage 4000+ , food costs more there too. it suffers from more demand than supply.

Is that rub n tug or a real massage?

lance.schukies

Is that rub n tug or a real massage?

real massage never looked for the other type.

Paul

and a Samal beach that I visit weekly and which I'll never divulge muhahahaha.

jpg.jpg

rfm010

is it true u can pay up to 800p for a manicure/pedicure on borocay?

i ask again?

i'll be there in june.  you can feel free to pay me 1000p if you like.

jp999:   i just read about the controversy regarding the "forest" up north.  they want to rezone it as commercial.  any views on that?  and is the area a nice place for a hike?  will be there in june with family.  beaches don't excite me much.

Cipro

I like Bora but it's just too small. I'm not a beach person I guess, but I don't have the ability to be happy sitting still on a beach for more than maybe a couple days. Then you go see the bats and butterflies, and then you realize there's some stuff going on off the beach and check it out, and then as far as I can tell you're pretty much done. 

It's a very small island. 

• Like 1

Enuff

is it true u can pay up to 800p for a manicure/pedicure on borocay?

i ask again?

yes, you can pay up to p800 for a manicure/pedicure. most places only want p60-p200 but will let you pay up to p800.

• Like 3

JP999

i'll be there in june.  you can feel free to pay me 1000p if you like.

jp999:   i just read about the controversy regarding the "forest" up north.  they want to rezone it as commercial.  any views on that?  and is the area a nice place for a hike?  will be there in june with family.  beaches don't excite me much.

There is a forest up north? Never heard about that or saw it (I don't go up north much) - I'll  ask around about that - I'm curious now. 

I do know there is a forest down south :) It's a small secret forest with some Great views. Hiking will be brief there though since it's small.

Edited by JP999
  • Like 1

Cipro

It's a 3 mile long island, there is no "up North" to speak of when you can cover the longest dimension in a 45 minute walk or a 5 minute drive. 

Edited by Cipro

Fred M

real massage never looked for the other type.

You mean there is another type apart from the rub and tug?

• Like 1