Sign in to follow this  
JP999

My answer to "Boracay – probably the worst island I’ve ever visited"

woodchopper

thanks 4 the confirmation lads,,good place not 2 visit eh,,i hope boholonians dont adopt the same policy,,outa here now!

JP999

I don't know about pedicure but a massage on the beach goes for around 350 peso, I go close to the main road for massage and it's 200 peso there (and it's good).

Been to Cebu and it was more expensive in my experience then Boracay, which surprised me. Not just talking massage, also food. Boracay has cheap option, but in Cebu those were hard to find for me as a tourist (I found one cheap resto there but had to run because I was surrounded by a swarm of flies the moment I stepped inside).

from my memory yes, massage 4000+

That is B.S., keep on feeding the misinformation, that's what makes interesting forum posts I guess here...

Edited by JP999
  • Like 3

cebulover2000

I was in Boracay a few years ago and paid 500 pesos for a massage, I am sure there are expensive hotels and places who are charging more. Boracay had many different levels of accomodations and also it's fair share of poverty.

Paul

To put things in perspective here, let me use Kawasan Falls, located in Badian, Cebu (Province), as an example.

When I first began going to Kawasan Falls, I did not stay there. In fact, it wasn't until about 2004 that I stayed there over night, for the first time. We had a small fan room, no screens on the windows, for about, oh, maybe Php 400, per night. Pretty simple accommodations, but a nice place to visit. 

Fast forward. I don't recall the actual trip I went back to Kawasan, to stay over night. I think it was the following year, maybe? Anyway, I had noticed, immediately, how much more commercialized it had become. The rooms? Oh, no longer anything for Php 400, except maybe a spot on the ground. One room was a huge dorm room, and offered for something like Php 2,000 or 2,500, per night. Doesn't take long, folks, for things to change.

This, unfortunately, will ultimately happen to many places in the Philippines - and has happened to Boracay as well. I imagine Bantayan Island won't be long for this world, before it is another "Boracay Island", in fact. When I lived in Bogo, Cebu, from 2007 to 2008, I would go to Bantayan Island about once per month or so, usually. Sometimes, maybe not as frequently. But, I could go there with a girl or two, stay three days, do whatever we wanted, eat and drink whatever we wanted, and not be over $100 USD. 

Anyway, I personally have nothing against Boracay, and have had some really good times there in the past. However, it is definitely NOT one of the cheapest places in the country to visit. However, when I was there last, it was clean, had lots of places to eat, many hotels to stay in, and countless beach activities to be enjoyed and appreciated by its visitors.

With that said, the sad truth is, as places become more popular, as I have stated in my example of Kawasan Falls, they are going to become more costly to visitors. That's just how it is. So, appreciate the places while you can still afford them, before they are too costly for the average traveler to visit any longer. 

Paul, great article. I wish others had read what you - very clearly stated, in both your subject line and the first line of your original post. Feel free to promote Boracay on this site, any time you wish, sir. You have my full support.

• Like 4

lance.schukies

I don't know about pedicure but a massage on the beach goes for around 350 peso, I go close to the main road for massage and it's 200 peso there (and it's good).

Been to Cebu and it was more expensive in my experience then Boracay, which surprised me. Not just talking massage, also food. Boracay has cheap option, but in Cebu those were hard to find for me as a tourist (I found one cheap resto there but had to run because I was surrounded by a swarm of flies the moment I stepped inside).

That is B.S., keep on feeding the misinformation, that's what makes interesting forum posts I guess here...

you live there I visited there I took what the motel offered.

no point discrediting Cebu, it a city destination not like a island destination, try visiting the island resorts near here, they give the exact same beaches with out the BS I saw in boracay, just because you like it does not mean some one who did not like it is spreading lies.

btw I get massages for 50 peso in Cebu

Woolf

The first sentense says he has been living there for 4 years. Jumping so fast to bust balls?

Could it be that it was part of the edit at 7:22  ???

Paul

Let's get off the tangents, folks. Let's stay on the topic of the article Paul wrote in response to the article in the title. 

woodchopper

Anyway, I had noticed, immediately, how much more commercialized it had become. 

Price gouging is a pejorative term referring to a situation in which a seller prices goods or commodities at a level much higher than is considered reasonable or fair. This rapid increase in prices occurs after a demand or supply shock: examples include price increases after hurricanes or other natural disasters. In precise, legal usage, it is the name of a crime that applies in some of the United States during civil emergencies. In less precise usage, it can refer either to prices obtained by practices inconsistent with a competitivefree market, or to windfall profits. In the Soviet Union, it was simply included under the single definition of speculation.

ILoveCyrus

Hey JP999. Don't worry about those fartheads raggin on u. Their just jealous or bitter. If they hate Boracay then so be it.

I went once in 2005 as a single person and had fun.

Paul

Hey JP999. Don't worry about those fartheads raggin on u. Their just jealous or bitter. If they hate Boracay then so be it.

I went once in 2005 as a single person and had fun.

:kissass:  :kissass:   :ROFLMAO:

JP999

you live there I visited there I took what the motel offered.

no point discrediting Cebu, it a city destination not like a island destination, try visiting the island resorts near here, they give the exact same beaches with out the BS I saw in boracay, just because you like it does not mean some one who did not like it is spreading lies.

btw I get massages for 50 peso in Cebu

Ok well 4000 is insanely expensive, if your motel offered you that massage then you probably were staying in a very luxurious resort? Or were wearing 300 grams in gold chains?

Either way, I'm sure you can pay up to or over 50.000 USD to fly from New York to Manila also... If you take a private plane. Point is, that is very very far from the norm.

I'm not saying you're spreading lies, but to me they way you phrased it it did give the impression that Boracay is insanely expensive, which it is not (except for motorcycle rental - that is insanely priced, but you don't need it fortunately)

P.S. not trying to discredit Cebu, only stayed there for 3 days or so and that just my first impression there. Never took the time to explore the city properly.

Could it be that it was part of the edit at 7:22  ???

It could
Edited by JP999
  • Like 1

Paul

Anyway, I had noticed, immediately, how much more commercialized it had become. 

Price gouging is a pejorative term referring to a situation in which a seller prices goods or commodities at a level much higher than is considered reasonable or fair. This rapid increase in prices occurs after a demand or supply shock: examples include price increases after hurricanes or other natural disasters. In precise, legal usage, it is the name of a crime that applies in some of the United States during civil emergencies. In less precise usage, it can refer either to prices obtained by practices inconsistent with a competitivefree market, or to windfall profits. In the Soviet Union, it was simply included under the single definition of speculation.

It is become much more commercialized, over the years. But, I can't say it is price gouging. It is what the market brings. People are either willing to pay it, or they are not. They have the choice of not boarding the turbo prop planes that fly there. 

However, they do need to know what the costs will be, prior to getting on those planes. 

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1

Paul
(except for motorcycle rental - that is insanely priced, but you don't need it fortunately)

Ain't that the truth!? Man, they LOVE their motorbikes on Boracay, for sure. They want to pay them off in one month. :D 

Hey, now, that's a business!! Go there and undercut everyone else on the motorbike rentals. You will make a fortunate, until they put you out of business. :D

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1

lance.schukies

Ok well 4000 is insanely expensive, if your motel offered you that massage then you probably were staying in a very luxurious resort? Or were wearing 300 grams in gold chains?

Either way, I'm sure you can pay up to or over 50.000 USD to fly from New York to Manila also... If you take a private plane. Point is, that is very very far from the norm.

I'm not saying you're spreading lies, but to me they way you phrased it it did give the impression that Boracay is insanely expensive, which it is not (except for motorcycle rental - that is insanely priced, but you don't need it fortunately)

It could

the massage was not the only time I thought I was paying to much. even simple things like prepaid SIM cards 300% more than rrp .

btw I see she has plenty of replies of people who agree there are far better islands to visit .

and I think these links spell it better

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/annaeverywhere.com

VS

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/boracaycompass.com

Global Rank 217,716

VS

Global Rank 23,335,501

the lower number is better

JP999

the massage was not the only time I thought I was paying to much. even simple things like prepaid SIM cards 300% more than rrp .

btw I see she has plenty of replies of people who agree there are far better islands to visit .

and I think these links spell it better

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/annaeverywhere.com

VS

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/boracaycompass.com

Global Rank 217,716

VS

Global Rank 23,335,501

the lower number is better

You're comparing apples to oranges, I hardly promoted my website yet and only started adding good quality content to it 3 months ago...

Not that how popular a website has anything to do with the truth though, look at the popular news channels, they are among the most popular sites online yet a lot of news is full of shit propaganda.