Army Charging Bowe Bergdahl With Desertion

Headshot

I said the US should treat prisoners "according to law and morality" if it wants respect. That makes your charge of my having no idea about the Geneva convention completely redundant.

The "law" that governs the detention of enemy combatants is the Geneva Conventions. Therefore, it is NOT redundant. These "detainees" have been treated far far better than they deserve under the law. As for morality, whose "morality would you choose to follow? You can ask ten people around the world to define what they see as "morality", and they will come up with ten different answers...and before you tell me that most people in the world see executing illegal combatants as immoral, I will tell you that most people in the world don't see executions (for any valid reason) as immoral. Quite a few countries will execute you for what some in the West see as petty crimes. Think "possession of drugs." As for how the rest of the world sees the US...I think most of the world sees Americans (and some of its so-called allies) as idiots for treating criminals as well as they do. The US created a world of problems for itself by treating the captured illegal combatants as "prisoners" rather than disposing of them at the time.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 4
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lamoe

• Steven Mactan

• colemanlee

• angbumabasa

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can claim that and you are right, he is innocent until proven guilty, but that does not mean he should not be incarcerated and treated like the wretched deserting criminal he probably is.  Men died

I hope that somewhere along the line they mention that 6 or more young American soldiers died searching for Bergdahl. May they rest in peace.

I really don't care if people who feel terrorists who murdered children for watching tv, sell baby girls as sex slaves, and use a power drill on the knees / elbows / brains of those who don't do as th

lamoe

I said the US should treat prisoners "according to law and morality" if it wants respect. That makes your charge of my having no idea about the Geneva convention completely redundant.

I really don't care if people who feel terrorists who murdered children for watching tv, sell baby girls as sex slaves, and use a power drill on the knees / elbows / brains of those who don't do as they say, should be treated humanly respect me or my country or not.

When they stop acting like animals THEN they should be treated as humans.

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 5
colemanlee

The US should treat them exactly like they treat others, , maybe even a little one up to get their attention, failing that maybe take a page out of their book, extermination

• Like 2
Steven Mactan

At the cost of letting more bad guys go free that will just rejoin the fight and kill more of our people. Feck that. If the US wanted him dead then Drone him to death. The cost of lives to just say that he is held accountable for his stupidity is just plain 'stupid'. And 'you can't fix stupid'. And don't tell me that the military 'cannot simply let him go'. They gloss over all kinds of shit ALL the time. 'Been there, done that'. It's all in 'accounting' and 'sitreps'. So, the question remains, 'why?'. Politics?

Now that he is in US custody, they cannot simply let him go, and he needs to be charged with desertion.  However, if it were up to me, I would never have exchanged someone being held at GTMO for Bergdahl, and I would have left him rotting in a Taliban basement.  

• Like 1
lamoe

But remember he tried to escape    12   times just ask him - Yeah right

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 2
Steven Mactan

Citizens of other countries used to look up to the US. I don't think they do now. I feel the US has plummetted from its global good-standing over issues such as water-boarding.

Don't you feel that prisoners should be treated according to law and morality, even if their side doesn't do the same for westerners? If the US doesn't do so they will never regain their good name, in my opinion. 

That's not to impede the US in protecting its interests. It's just about how it does so.

As an American, I really don't care what people living in other parts of the world think of the US, and I think that the US government has put way too much effort into trying to ingratiate itself upon the misinformed citizenry of other countries, who will never like us, no matter what we do.  Instead of trying to win an unwinnable popularity contest, the US government should instead focus on security (borders) and safety of the American people.  Do people living in other parts of the world worry about what I think of their country?  Not even a little bit.

lamoe

As an American, I really don't care what people living in other parts of the world think of the US, and I think that the US government has put way too much effort into trying to ingratiate itself upon the misinformed citizenry of other countries, who will never like us, no matter what we do.  Instead of trying to win an unwinnable popularity contest, the US government should instead focus on security (borders) and safety of the American people.  Do people living in other parts of the world worry about what I think of their country?  Not even a little bit.

Au contraire - their affection  (not respect) is directly related to the aid and protection from their enemies they get from us 

• Like 1
lamoe

Just heard what his defense will be and the AH media are already carrying the piss for Obama by making  it their mantra

"I wanted to complain about the CO of the base so I was looking for another base to report him"

All to together now - sung to "Banana Boat  (Day-O)"

"Come, Mister tally man, tally me banana
Daylight come and me wan' go home"

"Hay,  Mr. Taliban, where da udder base?

me wan' go complain bout ma  CO"

• Like 1
Irenicus

Isn't this guy innocent until proven guilty?

I know you all get all upset when a foreigner is detained on sex charges for raping Filipino kids and start with the incessant "we need more facts before passing judgement" mantras.

This guy served in a real war zone.  How many of you clowns passing judgement on him can claim the same?

And before you start with your "I served in....,"  dust off your DD214's and get ready to walk the talk.

Pathetic.

lamoe

I know you all get all upset when a foreigner is detained on sex charges for raping Filipino kids and start with the incessant "we need more facts before passing judgement" mantras.

This guy served in a real war zone.  How many of you clowns passing judgement on him can claim the same?

And before you start with your "I served in....,"  dust off your DD214's and get ready to walk the talk.

Pathetic.

Me - Chulai  68  - got pics and extra holes to prove it.

There is a difference between found not guilty and didn't do it.

True - he's presumed innocent until found not guilty - that's the law - the truth is something else.

O.J.?   Comes to mind.

Bill H

Pathetic.

I can claim that and you are right, he is innocent until proven guilty, but that does not mean he should not be incarcerated and treated like the wretched deserting criminal he probably is.  Men died trying to find this fool, let us not forget that.  So as they used to say, give him his trial before we hang him.  That works for me.

• Like 6
Steven Mactan

"I know you all get all upset when a foreigner is detained on sex charges for raping Filipino kids"    What...............?

"This guy served in a real war zone"  According to others serving in his unit,  Berghdahl is a deserter who deserted  his post.  Maybe you should ask Berghdahl's comrades how they are qualified to judge him?  

• Like 1

WHEN and only then, bergdog is convicted he should be shot, hanged, cooked and fed to the hogs as a traitor in the face of the enemy. what will happen is he will be convicted and Zero will pardon him 

lamoe

It appears there are some on this forum who feel people are not allowed to have an opinion if it differs from theirs.  

Since I am an opinionated person I say in my opinion he is a deserter.

• Like 1
colemanlee

Pathetic.

Ill be more than happy to compare my DD214 with you face to face anytime...and 15 years working for DOD..after I retired...My opinion stands, he is a deserter and in time of war, deserters should be shot...

• Like 1