Army Charging Bowe Bergdahl With Desertion

rfm010

About damn time.  Bet money MSNBC or CNN will not report it.

I hope that somewhere along the line they mention that 6 or more young American soldiers died searching for Bergdahl. May they rest in peace.

those commies at cnn just had the audacity to interview the mother of one of those killed.  to add insult to injury they allowed her and others she was with to express their opinion that perhaps bergdahl should be not be viewed a victim but as a deserter who put others at risk. 

an interesting twist i hadn't heard before, that he had been released by the national guard due to mental problems.  strange to have then allowed him in the military and put him in a front line position.  this aspect is the only hope i see of him having any hint of a defense for what he did.  if it turns out to not be valid he should get the maximum penalty.  is that still death?

• Like 1
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lamoe

• Steven Mactan

• colemanlee

• angbumabasa

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can claim that and you are right, he is innocent until proven guilty, but that does not mean he should not be incarcerated and treated like the wretched deserting criminal he probably is.  Men died

I hope that somewhere along the line they mention that 6 or more young American soldiers died searching for Bergdahl. May they rest in peace.

I really don't care if people who feel terrorists who murdered children for watching tv, sell baby girls as sex slaves, and use a power drill on the knees / elbows / brains of those who don't do as th

angbumabasa

I still don't understand this. He deserted. OK, let him go. Some bad guys got him? So what? That's his problem. It's not like the bad guys picked him up while he was out doing his 'duty'. If it had happened like that........think of John McCain. So what else is really going on?

Headshot

We really do need to empty out Gitmo. They need to load all of the prisoners in cages in the back of C-17's and repatriate them to Saudi Arabia. I think it would be appropriate to off-load them out the back end of the C-17's at 10,000 feet over the Empty Quarter. That will allow them enough time for them to ask forgiveness for what they did before they hit the ground (of course they won't). They call Empty Quarter because nobody goes there, so it is likely any remains will buried by the blowing sand long before anybody finds them.

Enough of this nonsense the US government has been going through keeping them alive. Non-uniformed combatants have no protection under the Geneva Conventions. They should have been interrogated and then executed as soon as they were captured, rather than shipping them off to detention camps and prisons. Most of those who were caught in Iraq and Afghanistan have long ago been freed and are once again doing the same things they were before.

In addition, if we are indeed "tracking" the five terrorists that were released, they need to be targeted and killed. Somehow, though, I doubt they have any idea where they are; but...if they do...it's still not too late.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 3
Steven Mactan

I still don't understand this. He deserted. OK, let him go. Some bad guys got him? So what? That's his problem. It's not like the bad guys picked him up while he was out doing his 'duty'. If it had happened like that........think of John McCain. So what else is really going on?

"He deserted  OK, let him go."  You're right, you don't understand this at all. Someone who deserts their post in a combat zone cannot simply be let go.  He got people killed, and he needs to be held accountable for his actions.

• Like 2
Steven Mactan

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who remembers Susan Rice's remark regarding Bergdahl.  This is Susan's second big flub following Benghazi. Time for her to go.

SUSAN RICE FLASHBACK: BERGDAHL SERVED ‘WITH HONOR AND DISTINCTION’

National Security Advisor Susan Rice defended the prisoner swap for Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl on the June 1, 2014 brodcast of ABC’s “This Week” by saying Bergdahl “served the United States with honor and distinction.”

angbumabasa

"He deserted  OK, let him go."  You're right, you don't understand this at all. Someone who deserts their post in a combat zone cannot simply be let go.  He got people killed, and he needs to be held accountable for his actions.

At the cost of letting more bad guys go free that will just rejoin the fight and kill more of our people. Feck that. If the US wanted him dead then Drone him to death. The cost of lives to just say that he is held accountable for his stupidity is just plain 'stupid'. And 'you can't fix stupid'. And don't tell me that the military 'cannot simply let him go'. They gloss over all kinds of shit ALL the time. 'Been there, done that'. It's all in 'accounting' and 'sitreps'. So, the question remains, 'why?'. Politics?

• Like 2
lamoe

those commies at cnn just had the audacity to interview the mother of one of those killed.  to add insult to injury they allowed her and others she was with to express their opinion that perhaps bergdahl should be not be viewed a victim but as a deserter who put others at risk. 

an interesting twist i hadn't heard before, that he had been released by the national guard due to mental problems.  strange to have then allowed him in the military and put him in a front line position.  this aspect is the only hope i see of him having any hint of a defense for what he did.  if it turns out to not be valid he should get the maximum penalty.  is that still death?

Not sure if you were being sarcastic about commies / CNN

This is part of the media that totaled ignored stories that made Obama look bad - just they can't do it anymore

Think Benghazi and not interviewing any of his team mates

It could be they finally understands that their ratings suck compared to Fox  so they're trying to do the thing that will give them for credibility.

OBAMA needed a reason to let his people go

lamoe

At the cost of letting more bad guys go free that will just rejoin the fight and kill more of our people. Feck that. If the US wanted him dead then Drone him to death. The cost of lives to just say that he is held accountable for his stupidity is just plain 'stupid'. And 'you can't fix stupid'. And don't tell me that the military 'cannot simply let him go'. They gloss over all kinds of shit ALL the time. 'Been there, done that'. It's all in 'accounting' and 'sitreps'. So, the question remains, 'why?'. Politics?

FOX  - if it were CNN, MSNBC, etc - this would not be a story and Obama would have gotten away with another criminal act.

Yes it was criminal - he is required to consult with Congress

spydoo

We really do need to empty out Gitmo. They need to load all of the prisoners in cages in the back of C-17's and repatriate them to Saudi Arabia. I think it would be appropriate to off-load them out the back end of the C-17's at 10,000 feet over the Empty Quarter. That will allow them enough time for them to ask forgiveness for what they did before they hit the ground (of course they won't). They call Empty Quarter because nobody goes there, so it is likely any remains will buried by the blowing sand long before anybody finds them.

Enough of this nonsense the US government has been going through keeping them alive. Non-uniformed combatants have no protection under the Geneva Conventions. They should have been interrogated and then executed as soon as they were captured, rather than shipping them off to detention camps and prisons. Most of those who were caught in Iraq and Afghanistan have long ago been freed and are once again doing the same things they were before.

In addition, if we are indeed "tracking" the five terrorists that were released, they need to be targeted and killed. Somehow, though, I doubt they have any idea where they are; but...if they do...it's still not too late.

Citizens of other countries used to look up to the US. I don't think they do now. I feel the US has plummetted from its global good-standing over issues such as water-boarding.

Don't you feel that prisoners should be treated according to law and morality, even if their side doesn't do the same for westerners? If the US doesn't do so they will never regain their good name, in my opinion. 

That's not to impede the US in protecting its interests. It's just about how it does so.

• Like 1
Bill H

I'm told the Army really had to resist huge pressure from the Administration to bring the charges, but in the end, the General Staff would just not cow down on the case.  It was certainly not for want of trying on the part of the Administration.  It's taken them a very long time for the General Staff to grow a pair, but (at least in this one case) they did and I thank them for that.  The idea of this guy taking a walk AND being rewarded with a $300k payday just turned my stomach!  Let us pray the case is allowed to go through to trial, conviction and sentencing.  There are still many ways for the Administration to intervene, so Justice has not yet been served, but just maybe it will be, in this case.

rfm010

Not sure if you were being sarcastic about commies / CNN This is part of the media that totaled ignored stories that made Obama look bad - just they can't do it anymore Think Benghazi and not interviewing any of his team mates

from what i recall you're never sure of when i'm being sarcastic.  rest assured. 

i totally disagree with your premise that cnn and other media totally ignore stories that made obama look bad.  i tend to listen to a lot of news, read some too, a good bit of what you would probably refer to as left leaning media (cnn, msnbc, nbc, cbs, npr, pbs for starts) and i have heard/read plenty of stories about the topics you tend to trash obama on.  all the talking points mentioned on this thread regarding bergdahl were discussed by cnn today.  tim owes me money.  i believe the wager was a rather large one.  to be sure coverage wasn't totally focused on bergdahl as some may have liked but this was cnn international and there was a plane that fell out of the sky under suspicious circumstance and that got some attention of its own.

btw, the first reports i heard that questioned the original white house spin on benghazi came from rachel maddow on msnbc, well ahead of fox news. 

Headshot

Citizens of other countries used to look up to the US. I don't think they do now. I feel the US has plummetted from its global good-standing over issues such as water-boarding.

Don't you feel that prisoners should be treated according to law and morality, even if their side doesn't do the same for westerners? If the US doesn't do so they will never regain their good name, in my opinion. 

That's not to impede the US in protecting its interests. It's just about how it does so.

You obvious have no idea what the Geneva Conventions are all about (and the Geneva Conventions ARE the international "law" that governs how prisoners are treated). Non-uniformed combatants are specifically excluded from coverage under the Geneva Conventions. They may be interrogated and executed at will. THAT is the law. Your sensibilities may not like that, but war isn't pretty, and the faint-hearted should not get involved. You either follow the rules of war (as outlined in the Geneva Conventions) or you have no protection. They chose to fight without uniforms so they could blend in with the general population. That gets a lot of non-combatants killed (think of Vietnam). That is considered a war crime under the conventions. Therefore, those that choose to fight that way can be punished accordingly. You may not like that, but that is the way it is.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 4
lamoe

from what i recall you're never sure of when i'm being sarcastic.  rest assured. 

i totally disagree with your premise that cnn and other media totally ignore stories that made obama look bad.  i tend to listen to a lot of news, read some too, a good bit of what you would probably refer to as left leaning media (cnn, msnbc, nbc, cbs, npr, pbs for starts) and i have heard/read plenty of stories about the topics you tend to trash obama on.  all the talking points mentioned on this thread regarding bergdahl were discussed by cnn today.  tim owes me money.  i believe the wager was a rather large one.  to be sure coverage wasn't totally focused on bergdahl as some may have liked but this was cnn international and there was a plane that fell out of the sky under suspicious circumstance and that got some attention of its own.

btw, the first reports i heard that questioned the original white house spin on benghazi came from rachel maddow on msnbc, well ahead of fox news. 

You are right I tend to talk what people say at face value

Google any of his scandals "did media ingnore *******?" and this will be a typical result - some are minor - most are definitely not

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Obama_administration_controversies

IRS Scandal 'Wider' Than First Thought; NBC Ignores and ABC Allows a Mere 19 Seconds -

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/scott-whitlock/2013/06/25/irs-scandal-wider-first-thought-nbc-ignores-and-abc-allows-mere-19-s

spydoo

You obvious have no idea what the Geneva Conventions are all about (and the Geneva Conventions ARE the international "law" that governs how prisoners are treated). Non-uniformed combatants are specifically excluded from coverage under the Geneva Conventions. They made be interrogated and executed at will. THAT is the law. Your sensibilities may not like that, but war isn't pretty, and the faint-hearted should not get involved. You either follow the rules of war (as outlined in the Geneva Conventions) or you have no protection. They chose to fight without uniforms so they could blend in with the general population. That gets a lot of non-combatants killed (think of Vietnam). That is considered a war crime under the conventions. Therefore, those that choose to fight that way can be punished accordingly. You may not like that, but that is the way it is.

I said the US should treat prisoners "according to law and morality" if it wants respect. That makes your charge of my having no idea about the Geneva convention completely redundant.

Edited by spydoo