hyaku

Started with sunbeam shaft drive. Bought a Vinny 1000 but couldn't hold it up.

Last bike long term was a Honda Magna in Japan

post-3779-0-87286900-1427707808_thumb.jpg

Bought a Honda Supremo TMX last year but its challenge driving around here with idiots on the road

Edited by hyaku
  • Like 3
  • Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pman

• Yellowfever

• easy44

• Soupeod

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Over 10 years, I have ridden tens of thousands of km touring the Philippines. Explored all major islands (except Masbate). My bikes for these rides have been from a Symco Stryker 150 to a Honda TransA

I have got 3 bikes in PI , and 2 in Aus. This is the Aus ones , a 1950 Panhead , Harley Davidson , and a 1973 Triumph Bonneville.  

Everyone has their resons for coming to an liking the Philippines. Mine is motorcycles and women.   I love to ride my motorcycles year round and of course the wonderful beautiful women here in the

Posted Images

Yellowfever

Those Magnas are not bad little bikes. I had one in Korea for a while. Traded up to an 1100 virago, then lucked out and found a blackbird. I'm not a cruiser fan, more of a sports tourer but big bikes are rare over there much like the RP so you just take whatever you can get that isn't a 125.

• Like 1
colemanlee

One of the things I hate about getting old, I would not attempt to have the Ultra here, at almost 1000 lbs dressed I could not imagine riding it here...maybe something like a sportster ....or one of the new Triumphs....but realistically IMHO for me the Royal Enfield would be about as much as I would want here..

• Like 2
Alan S

One of the things I hate about getting old, I would not attempt to have the Ultra here, at almost 1000 lbs dressed I could not imagine riding it here...maybe something like a sportster ....or one of the new Triumphs....but realistically IMHO for me the Royal Enfield would be about as much as I would want here..

Given the state of the roads plus the low speeds, I can think of several old British bikes that would be suitable.

The shaft drive velo's (Valiant or LE) , some of the Villers powered ones, the Triumph T20,  and many others.

In fact, the roads reallyt need a trials bike to cope with the condistions!

(I used to have a Black Shadow, but, yes, they are heavy!)

• Like 2

Honda makes a 250 cruiser in the us. Can't remembe name but might be "shadow"? I would be interested in it if they had it here.

woodchopper

ok,,my bike,,(still current") and passed by GF.

post-12914-0-55334100-1427721879_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

but realistically IMHO for me the Royal Enfield would be about as much as I would want here..

almost BNEW 2014 Royal Enfield bullet 350...........145K

post-7853-0-69005000-1427725787_thumb.jpg

• Like 7
Yellowfever

After riding that Evo softail round for a few days is never have a bike that size in the RP which is what I always figured. Got hot as hell in traffic and too wide / heavy to scoot through traffic with a pretty poor turning circle to boot. While setting off every car alarm in the capital with the open pipes was fun for a bit, the novelty wore off pretty quick. Seemed to impress the guys more than the girls which might be handy for some members here. Got a lot of salutes from police though, so go figure? People let me park it anywhere too.

Bike like that has no place here really. Plenty of power for canyon carving but no cornering clearance and too wide of a turning circle for the tight stuff at any kind of speed. Too heavy to get down any kid if trail. Which makes it great for...... Highway use? Which is the most boring place to be on a bike. Without a windscreen of any kind, 100km/h just isn't that much fun.

I still think a 400-500cc single/twin is about right for here.

• Like 3
lamoe

I do envy you riders -  I tried it once and realized I don't have the emotional self-control - the need for speed overrules both heads.

• Like 1
Cipro

I still think a 400-500cc single/twin is about right for here.

My choice for most practical would probably be a KLR-650. 

• Like 3
easy44

On 3/30/2015 at 4:11 PM, Cipro said:

Or either a Suzuki Vstrom 650 or Kawasaki Versys 650

• Like 1
Cipro
On 3/30/2015 at 7:00 PM, easy44 said:

Or either a Suzuki Vstrom 650 or Kawasaki Versys 650

I would choose the Kawasaki simply because it's less money and has been in production for so long, even having been adopted by various military and government organizations. Probably a traditional air cooled twin Beemer would come in somewhere in my top 10 for similar reasons. I would want to be over 400cc (and not a nominal 400, which are generally 398 or 396 or something) so I could use all the roads legally and unambiguously. 

If I was less concerned with being practical I like the 500cc Royal Ensigns.

But the Kawasaki (and the ones you listed) are well suited for rough or smooth roads, have large fuel reserves, and are reliable and rideable in a variety of scenarios, from highways to gravel to ill-maintained secondary roads. They are easily able to be equipped with racks and boxes, and can carry two without distress. 

• Like 2
colemanlee

OK im a dumb ass where can you get a klr 650 on the cheap here

BTW, been riding for something more than 50 years, CRF 250 is still too high/big, dropped it the other night on a off grade...just too damn tall

Edited by colemanlee
easy44

OK im a dumb ass where can you get a klr 650 on the cheap here

BTW, been riding for something more than 50 years, CRF 250 is still too high/big, dropped it the other night on a off grade...just too damn tall

Keep looking in all the online ad sites.  That's about the only way unless you know someone with one.  There are quite a few out there but guys don't sell them often.  I mentioned Suzuki Vstrom and Kawasaki Versys because the dealers do sell them new here.

Edited by easy44
  • Like 1